Homeopathic Vaccines? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we are on an alternative/selective vax schedule with our naturopath, and she has let me know that she has a few "homeopathic" vaccines available and that the only thing that goes on the state vax form (for schools, etc.) is the date of the vax, not the type of vax (homeopathic or otherwise) given for that illness. Has anyone ever gotten these for their kiddos? What can you tell me about them? The interwebs are full of contradicting controversy over this topic... anyone have any suggested reading or good sources for either side of the coin on this subject?

Thanks!

Moo.

#2 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 11:53 AM

I wouldn´t trust them ! Even though , I am usually not against homeopathy at all and it has shown its benefits to me on several different occasions , homeopathic vaccines would be , where I draw the line .

After all , you want the vaccine to be effective , so I´d stick with the proven ones . 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#3 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM

i dont know how effective they are if you really want to vaccine but if you just want to be signed off the vaccine form instead of putting that all that other stuff in your body i dont see why it would hurt. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#4 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I've chosen to do most of the required vaccines (all of the biggies), but there are a few I'd rather not do, and there are a lot that we have him on a delayed schedule for (one per month over the next few years) so that's what I was thinking of it as, just something to check off the list.

I wasn't expecting them to be terribly effective, just wondering what people think or if anyone's had experience with them. For instance, the varicella vax (chicken pox) is now a required one, but DS caught it already, so really, what's the point except because it's required. Also, I'm not interested in giving him the Hep B series right now either. Later, yes, but not now. He's not in daycare. My mom and I are the only ones who watch him, but a timely vax record it's required by the state because I get TANF while I'm in school. 

I appreciate both of your responses. Thanks for taking the time... :)

Moo.

#5 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

i dont know how effective they are if you really want to vaccine but if you just want to be signed off the vaccine form instead of putting that all that other stuff in your body i dont see why it would hurt. 

Classical homeopaths think that homeopathic vaccines are not a good idea. I would not do them for the sake of paperwork unless I lived in a state where it was either impossible or very difficult to get an exemption. I'm really surprised, though that they would count toward the school vaccine requirements.

#6 of 13 Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post
the varicella vax (chicken pox) is now a required one, but DS caught it already, so really, what's the point except because it's required. 

Doctor-verified history of chickenpox counts toward the requirement in most, if not all states. If you didn't take him to the doctor when he had chickenpox, you could get his blood tested for immunity (titers), and I think that counts toward the requirement in most, if not all states as well.

#7 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Doctor-verified history of chickenpox counts toward the requirement in most, if not all states. If you didn't take him to the doctor when he had chickenpox, you could get his blood tested for immunity (titers), and I think that counts toward the requirement in most, if not all states as well.

Hey, that's good to know! Thanks. I'll ask my doctor about that.

Moo.

#8 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Classical homeopaths think that homeopathic vaccines are not a good idea. I would not do them for the sake of paperwork unless I lived in a state where it was either impossible or very difficult to get an exemption. I'm really surprised, though that they would count toward the school vaccine requirements.

Are you a classical homeopath? What is a classical homeopath? And why do they not think it's a good idea? As I said before, our doctor has suggested them as an alternative and told us quite plainly that they DO indeed count, and that all that's necessary on the requirement checklist is a date initialed by the doctor. I'm looking specifically for personal experience with these things. Thanks! :)

Moo.

#9 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM

If you don't want the real vaccines, why can't you get an exemption? I'm concerned about the public health implications of kids who got homeopathic vaccines being considered "vaccinated" by the school district, and the school district not warning their parents when there's an outbreak in the same way they would for a kid who wasn't vaccinated.

#10 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

If you don't want the real vaccines, why can't you get an exemption? I'm concerned about the public health implications of kids who got homeopathic vaccines being considered "vaccinated" by the school district, and the school district not warning their parents when there's an outbreak in the same way they would for a kid who wasn't vaccinated.

I'm confused as to how or why you think the school district would inform parents that some kids have a vax exemption and some don't, but maybe I'm not understanding you? As for outbreaks of infectious diseases, all parents with vaccinated kids or not are notified in the same way, so as not to violate HIPPA laws surrounding the identification of private medical information. 

All that said, if you read my posts on this thread, you'd know that I am actually pro-vax, but do so selectively and delayed (this IS the forum for that, no?), and since he's not even a year old yet and not in school or daycare (and won't be for a few years) he's not putting anyone else's kids at risk by being on a delayed schedule. I can't get an exemption (as I said before...) because the state requires a traditional vaccine schedule because I'm receiving state healthcare and welfare benefits.

Moo.

#11 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

I'm confused as to how or why you think the school district would inform parents that some kids have a vax exemption and some don't, but maybe I'm not understanding you? As for outbreaks of infectious diseases, all parents with vaccinated kids or not are notified in the same way, so as not to violate HIPPA laws surrounding the identification of private medical information. 

All that said, if you read my posts on this thread, you'd know that I am actually pro-vax, but do so selectively and delayed (this IS the forum for that, no?), and since he's not even a year old yet and not in school or daycare (and won't be for a few years) he's not putting anyone else's kids at risk by being on a delayed schedule. I can't get an exemption (as I said before...) because the state requires a traditional vaccine schedule because I'm receiving state healthcare and welfare benefits.

It's not necessarily to inform parents that some kids are unvaxed but typically, when there is an outbreak of a VPD or a reported case in the school, they ask that those who are unvaxed stay home to prevent the spread of the disease, especially with the at-risk population. At least in our case, there was no HIPAA violation because we got a personal call from the school nurse.

As far as homeopathic vaccines, can your provider provide you with longitudinal studies that support the efficacy and safety of the vaccines (for each and every one that you are planning for your LO to have)? I probably would start with that...

#12 of 13 Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

It's not necessarily to inform parents that some kids are unvaxed but typically, when there is an outbreak of a VPD or a reported case in the school, they ask that those who are unvaxed stay home to prevent the spread of the disease, especially with the at-risk population. At least in our case, there was no HIPAA violation because we got a personal call from the school nurse.

Ah... I see. That hadn't occurred to me that you'd actually get a personal phone call. As far as I know from my other mama friends here, everyone is on an email list and gets the same email... "If your kid is unvaccinated, please be aware that there is XYZ going around... ", etc. Very cool. Yes, if my kiddo was in school and had only received a homeopathic vax for something, I'd want to know if that same something was going around... but he's not in school, so I'll file that info for later. Thanks! :)

Anyone here actually have experience with... or know someone who's had experience with these vaccines? 

Moo.

#13 of 13 Old 07-23-2012, 05:54 AM

Hi - I am with the National Center for Homeopathy.  There is no such thing as a vaccine in homeopathy.  Any claims to that effect are incorrect.  One can give a remedy to a patient prophylactically to provide a degree of protection from acute diseases - but that is a different matter.  Visit here for more on this topic:  www.homeopathic.org

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page