Unvaxed 1 year old, plane travel - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm new here,and seeking some advice.  My DD will be 1 yo next week, and she has had no vaccines.  I would prefer not to start to vaccinate until 2, but recently DH and I have decided to travel to Hungary in November.  Looking at the travel alerts, it seems that countries around Hungary have had a few recent measles outbreaks, but the main recommended vax for Hungary is Tdap due to a few diptheria cases in the country recently. We will be in Budapest and renting an apt, but will be taking public transport everywhere and eating both at home and in restaurants, and in other public places, obviously.  I am also concerned about the plane flight; we are taking a red eye for the longest flight, but she is 1 now and will want to get up now and then and walk up and down the aisles, and touch things around her.  We got her a window seat so that she can sit in her car seat to sleep and be away from the aisle.

I breastfed until she was 7 mo and had to stop due to a health issue, and she has been on organic formula and organic solids now, so BF is not an option now.

I don't know whether to vax her with MMR or Tdap due to the trip, or continue unvaxed.  I do plan to do selective vax later, anyway.  I would hate for her to get sick and/or be patient 0 for an outbreak after returning home, but she has never been sick (knock wood) and I would hate to damage her immune system.  We live on an organic farm and she plays with dirt and is around our dogs constantly, and has been super healthy.

Sorry to be crazy, but I have been so back and forth on this recently.  I appreciate any thoughts and advice!  Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Are you comfortable making the active decision to give her vaccines with known risk of injury (some untreatable), because you are worried about the very low chance of her contracting a treatable disease?

#3 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM

Ma2two, is that really a helpful comment? Doesn't feel like on to me. remember she is posting on the selective vax area, we do our best to be balanced and without hyperbole.

Ottobot1, first off welcome to mothering.com! please don't be scared off by the opening reply. people feel strongly about vax issues around here and some can forget their manners.

it sounds like you are looking at particular issues in just the way i would.

i would make sure that what is called a "break out" is not just 2 people or something, since reports can often be dramatic.

Then i would look at that shots you would need to get to cover the particular risks that you find are actually there.

then ask yourself why you wanted to wait, and if those particular shots are part of the reason or weather you could feel ok about giving just those ones. i personally feel more comfortable about some vaxes than others for sure. once you look at then each by themselves, you may too.

finally you may look into how effective the shots you need are in the timeframe you have to give them, for example does it need a set of shots over 6 months to really work? then you are out of luck and the choice is already made at least for this trip.

hope that gives you some more to think about. i selectively and delay my babes shots, though we get a large portion of them, just spread out. but there is a handful i have not done, but would do if them probably if i  was traveling abroad.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 7 Old 07-25-2012, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That was rather rude of you, Adorkable.

It is a question of being active vs. passive. Everybody's comfort level is different in this regard. Would she rather take an active risk by vaccinating like most people do, or be passive (do the natural thing by not vaccinating) and risk her child contracting the disease?

Hyperbole? headscratch.gif

#5 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Do you have the exact statistics for the diseases and where? I have traveled numerous times with unvaccinated children to Germany (we don't vaccinate either before the age of 2). Granted, there is no diphteria in Germany at all, but measles. However I looked up when and where and since my target area hadn't had a case of measles in years, I felt fine going. Also, I knew I can always get the monovalent measles vaccine while in Germany after exposure if necessary. If there had been lots of measles, I would have not traveled as MMR before 12-13 years, if at all, is out of question. 

As for the travel itself, we take lots of vitamins, I kept the kids close (Ergo, car seat), don't interact with strangers, and bring hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes for everything. Lots of hand-washing at all times.

#6 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 AM

We started traveling with our DD when she was 1 too. She is unvaxxed as well. We did go to Europe but for many reasons (staying with family, not using public transport, low amount of measles cases in the area we went, etc) I considered MMR but decided against it. However, 2 things come to mind for your case. 1.). Diptheria is much more frightening to me personally than measles, so if there are really recent cases in Hungary it is something to pause and consider. 2.). You are planning to vax one day, so perhaps getting one early might make sense? I'm just trying to put myself in your situation from one non vaxxing traveller mama to another. Just know that if you do decide to do DT or DTaP she would need 2-3 vaxxes before protection levels for Diptheria, so decide soon so you can adequately space them out before your trip. MMR would just be the one vax, but personally I would be more concerned re: MMR for a 1 year old due to all the documented issues with the vax (not that DTaP doesn't have issues with side effects, it's just that to me Diptheria the disease is more of a concern than measles the disease in a risk/benefit ratio situation.). In the end it's always totally your call. I'd say if you choose not to vax you will most likely be fine but I understand your worries. My DD has gotten her fair share of non VPDs from planes, horrible flu/colds and such. Planes are such a gross environment. But travel is so fun!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#7 of 7 Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM

Ottobot, sounds like you are getting a very good points to think about, I hope your travels go smooth and interesting no matter yo ur choice on vax. Please stck out MDC and check out the other areas, we have lots to offer. (and most aren't as contentious as vax can sometimes be.

Ma2two, I said what I felt, that's all. I have seen many folks never get to their 2nd post on MDC, possibly because of the tone of the first reply they got, so I was doing what I saw as balancing her first impression of the spectrum that MDC folks are. I would like to not derail her useful thread on this disagreement of semantics.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page