My baby was given the wrong, and now too many vaccinations! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so upset right now, I've been crying all afternoon I took my boys to get their vaccinations this morning at the county health dept. Our pedi doesn't give vaccinations in his office, so we have to go there. My kids are on the Dr. Sears delayed/selective vaccination schedule, they were both going to get the DTap vacc. the 2nd dose for the baby, and 4th dose for my 2 yo. The nurse asked me several times, you just want the DTap right? I confirmed, yes only the DTaP ands stressed we follow a delayed schedule, yadayada... So she has the vaccs drawn up and want to do my 2yo first, again saying this is just the DtaP. After giving his the shot, she wants to schedule him for the rest he needs, I say not now, I'll call when I'm ready. I asked, now he should just need 1 more polio right? To which she responds, no I just gave him his last one I panicked! What??? Then she says, yes this is a combo shot, Pentacel, which includes DTaP, HIB, & Polio. I told her, this is a mistake, he was only supposed to have the DTap, he has already had all his HIB vaccs, the last one being about a month ago. She says well I'm sorry, I guess you want something else for the baby? Really??? She was about to give the baby the same thing We got out of there ASAP after the baby had the right DTaP, and I inspected the vial to make sure this time. I called the pedi who assured me DS will be fine, that yes it was a medical error, but not a harmful one. I'm still researching the effects of having an extra dose of the HIB vacccine, but haven't found anything that says there are long term effects from it. I feel so guilty! I know it's not my fault but I usually inspect the label to make sure it's the right one, but my DH was holding him and I was juggling the baby, so I just assumed it was right. Never again! I am now going to be inspecting anything and everything that is injected or given to my child in a medical facility! I've already called and filed a formal complaint with the health dept. They apologized and confirmed a mistake had been made, but didn't do anything else. The woman said she spoke to the nurse who is aware of the mistake. I just feel like, that's it? They give my child the wrong and an extra vaccination and it's just like oh sorry, but it's not a big deal It clearly says on his vacc record he has had 4 doses of HIB, and she entered it into the computer on there as his 5th dose, surely that would have been a red flag for her??? I don't even know what would make me feel better, but I'm just so angry at myself and the nurse, it's my job to protect him and I failed I've been so careful ever since he was born, carefully planning every vaccination, checking before he got them to make sure it was the right one, but I was honestly distracted with the baby and didn't check the vial. Anyone else had this happen to them? How do you get over the guilt? What did you do? What would you do if this happened to you?

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#2 of 12 Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannybutterfly View Post

I don't even know what would make me feel better, but I'm just so angry at myself and the nurse, it's my job to protect him and I failed I've been so careful ever since he was born, carefully planning every vaccination, checking before he got them to make sure it was the right one, but I was honestly distracted with the baby and didn't check the vial.

Italics mine.

No, you did not fail - this is not your fault!

You verbally told the nurse, and she had his file (she should have double checked) - it is the nurses fault.

While I do not vax, I do know most kids come thorugh most vaxes just fine.  Your son will, in all probability, be fine.  Hugs, mama.

On the rare chance he is not fine, I would keep a written record of the events  (particularly any emails etc you have where the nurse admitted she goofed up) so that if there is a reaction and you want to pursue things you might have some recourse (I think vaccines are usually untouchable - but given the fact you did not consent to this vax, it might be different).

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

What a dreadful mistake! I want to re-iterate what Kathymuggle said: most likely, your son will be just fine.

#4 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM

that nurse should not have lied to you! she knew what she was doing and  did it on purpose! i'm sorry it happened this way but i'm sure it happens alot.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#5 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks girls, smile.gif DS is fine, running a low grade fever, but I know that's normal for the vaxs he was given.  He has been crying and whinning and needing to be held more than usual, but that's probably just cause he's not feeling great.  No reddness or swelling at the injection site, so that's good.  I did end up calling the state health dept and reporting the incident, someone is supposed to call me back by Monday.  Mostly, I just want to make sure they change the way they do things so this doesn't happen to another child.  We will not be going back there and will be staying away from vaxs all together for a while, my younger DS will need more in a month or so, but I may go longer so I can recover from this experience first.  I know it's not my fault, I just feel bad when my child isn't getting the best care.  I've had so many bad experiences in the health care field, I just don't feel like I can trust anyone anymoreredface.gif Sad, but I have to be an advocate for my children.  For anyone out there reading this, please double check any vaccination or medication being given to your child, ask to see the vial or bottle it is coming out of and check that the dose is correct, it is your right as a parent to see these things. thumb.gif

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#6 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm really sorry this happened to you, but thank you so much for for sharing your experience with us. I'm also glad you filed complaints and reports.

It's a very good reminder for anyone who vaccinates to INSIST on watching the nurse draw the vaccines from the vial. We don't vaccinate at all, but I've heard that it's common for nurses to prepare the vaccines before going into the exam room. So it might be a good idea to let them know as soon as you arrive that you will be insisting on watching the vaccines be drawn from the vial. That way, nothing is wasted when you refuse them, which I imagine the nurse or doctor would be upset about, and might cause an uncomfortable scene.

#7 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Complain in writing to her supervisor! Really, this is the only way to get anything changed. She overstepped by not keeping you fully informed.
#8 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I'm sorry if I'm confused--reading your post, it sounds to me like your son was given Pentacel, and then in the same visit, you had the nurse give him DTaP?

I hope I misunderstood that. Otherwise, I would be very worried that he got both in the same visit, which would certainly increase his chances of adverse reaction.
#9 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I'm sorry if I'm confused--reading your post, it sounds to me like your son was given Pentacel, and then in the same visit, you had the nurse give him DTaP?
I hope I misunderstood that. Otherwise, I would be very worried that he got both in the same visit, which would certainly increase his chances of adverse reaction.
She was discussing two different children.
#10 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM

I'd complain higher up in writing too.  DD1 got polio two months in a row at our family practitioner's office and I was so pissed off at the nurse and myself.  I spent the next two weeks convinced she was going to have some horrible reaction, but she was fine.  Chances are your kid will be too, but I know that's not going to stop the worry and mommy guilt.  It's just a sucky situation all around.

obstruct livery vehicles

#11 of 12 Old 07-27-2012, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

She was discussing two different children.

Ah--I was pretty sure I'd gotten something wrong! Thanks for the clarification.
#12 of 12 Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannybutterfly View Post

My kids are on the Dr. Sears delayed/selective vaccination schedule, they were both going to get the DTap vacc. the 2nd dose for the baby, and 4th dose for my 2 yo. The nurse asked me several times, you just want the DTap right? I confirmed, yes only the DTaP ands stressed we follow a delayed schedule, yadayada... So she has the vaccs drawn up and want to do my 2yo first, again saying this is just the DtaP. After giving his the shot, she wants to schedule him for the rest he needs, I say not now, I'll call when I'm ready. I asked, now he should just need 1 more polio right? To which she responds, no I just gave him his last one I panicked! What??? Then she says, yes this is a combo shot, Pentacel, which includes DTaP, HIB, & Polio. I told her, this is a mistake, he was only supposed to have the DTap, he has already had all his HIB vaccs, the last one being about a month ago. 

This might be a good question to ask on the Dr. Sears forum to see if anyone knows of a reaction to an extra HIB shot.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page