and daycare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so I am looking for a job and dd who is 15 months will more than likely be in daycare 4 days a week. So far she has had only 1 series in the dtap, I planned to finish it by now but health insurance issues have caused me to postpone it. So what should i expect sending her to daycare? any oppostion or any concerns?

thanks

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well, you can take her to a clinic and get them for free, or you can sign an exemption 

Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM

Yeh, every daycare my kids have gone to required vaccines according to the state schedule. I just signed an exemption because that's all I have to do in my state. Each state has it's own laws and if the daycare is licensed through a state agency, then they have to follow those laws. So, you can do like the pp mentioned, go to a health clinic to get them for free or cheap, find out the exemption laws, or find someone who is not licensed through the state (like a private babysitter) and use them, even though that can be pretty expensive.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
That depends on whether daycares are considered private property or not. In my state they are so they don't have to give a choice of opting out, they are allowed to but most don't. Does your city have a central district health? They give shots for free and hold free clinics in our community. No doctor can deny immunizations based on inability to pay so I suggest calling your dd's pediatrician to see if you can just go in and have the nurse give the shots if that is what is holding you back. The pediatric office my dd goes to has a wonderful payment policy and gives the Medicaid rate to people without insurance.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

That depends on whether daycares are considered private property or not. In my state they are so they don't have to give a choice of opting out, they are allowed to but most don't. Does your city have a central district health? They give shots for free and hold free clinics in our community. No doctor can deny immunizations based on inability to pay so I suggest calling your dd's pediatrician to see if you can just go in and have the nurse give the shots if that is what is holding you back. The pediatric office my dd goes to has a wonderful payment policy and gives the Medicaid rate to people without insurance.

That is not exactly correct.  If a doctor vaccinates children with medicaid and or CHiPS, the have a special stock of vaccines from the Vaccines for Children Program.  Those docs can only charge an admin fee for the vaccines (In TX a max of $5 per vax) for patients who do not have insurance that covers vaccines.  If a doc does not vax MCD or CHIPS kids, they have no requirement to offer vaxes at a free or reduced rate.

If you call the local public school, they should be able to tell you where you can get free vaccines in your area.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

no I do not want her to be fully immunized even if in daycare, I did post this in selective forum I meant will I be met with opposition from the daycare center and are they within their rights to refuse her to be cared for or has anyone had any negative experiences. My son has an exemption and attends public school but for some reason I thought I read people have more issues getting kids in daycare with exemptions. I am allowed to claim a religious exemption in my state.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM

What about a home daycare? I have a home daycare, and I don't even ask the vaccination status. 

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 AM

According to the Centers for Disease Control, “This annual update reflects state laws, regulations, or rules that impose vaccination requirements for enrollment and attendance in childcare facilities, kindergartens, middle schools, and colleges. Allowable vaccination exemptions are included.”  (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/stats-surv/schoolsurv/default.htm).  See this site: http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx to find out the exact requirements for your state.

It is a good idea to request a copy of the Day care policies and ask about their vaccination requirements. I would have a copy of a signed vaccination exemption ready, make sure to get it notarized to be on the safe side, have the original at home in a safe, and keep a copy on hand always in your purse or in the car.  Include with the copy given to the Day care a copy of your state law regarding vaccination and exemptions on a separate sheet, but refer to it in your exemption. In my state we can use a religious exemption and you can say in it that you are following your personal beliefs and your religion, but it is important to note my state does not require you to mention which religion I am affiliated with. If they ask then bring up the Affirmative Action law, no discrimination based on religious affiliation and that it is not a requirement of state law to disclose the information.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination
User Tag List