Most important vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)

I am curious as to which vaccine you think is the most important?

lurk.gif

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I think rubella is important for women of childbearing age if they haven't acquired natural immunity. I also think tetanus is important for people who are likely to have at risk injuries, especially if they don't have ready access to health care. For example, where I grew up we were an hour and a half from the closest hospital and that was only if it wasn't raining heavily and the tide was out ( in the early days anyway). Once it took us 5 hours to get to town. I wouldn't want to have to do that just to get a puncture wound treated.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 10 Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I think rubella is important for women of childbearing age if they haven't acquired natural immunity.

yeahthat.gif  Chicken Pox can also be dangerous in pregnancy.  I would prefer a system where these childhood diseases were not routinely vaccinated for (they are quite benign in most children - rubella especially!) and the vaccines was offered to teen girls who had not acquired natural immunity.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I worry more about Tetanus since wound care is very important and toddlers are prone to getting bumps, bruises, and scrapes. Rubella doesn't scare me since I'm a stay-at-home-mom so he has limited exposure to the community at large (including other pregnant women) and we're not looking to have more kids right away. Also after getting the MMR shot it is recommended to not be around pregnant women for six weeks after receiving the vaccine according to some sources (such as Dr. Sears) because it is a live virus vaccine.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

#5 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Depends on the child's age and where you live... I think that if there's an outbreak of a deadly disease in your area, then if that disease has a vaccine then that vaccine would be "the most important."
#6 of 10 Old 08-27-2012, 12:11 PM

If by outbreak the doctor meant a whopping total of 4 deaths in our state in the last 6 years with a population of 6,516,922 according to the 2011 estimates of the U.S. Census Bureau?

Free hugs! hug2.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-28-2012, 12:36 PM

with my son, i believed polio- as i still thought 'we wouldn't want an epidemic like in the past.'  so he got polio.  and my dr. said Hib- so i believe him.  then i learned more, and realized that i don't even believe in the midst of an epidemic that i would trust the vaccine to protect against the disease.  similar to kathymuggle, i think that teenagers who never get a childhood disease should have the option of getting an immunization.  but then i worry about teenage reactions to immunizations as well.  

i think that getting the hep b shot as a teenager may have been related to my flare-up of celiac disease.  http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/medicalguidelines/a/hepatitisB.htm  

and a friend got epstein-barre syndrome from a booster shot as a teenager/college age

leaving me to wish that there were vaccines available for those who want vaccines, and a traveling band of childhood diseases that my kids could be exposed to naturally and recover from.  at this point, they're exposed to the flu yearly, and colds, and many other things and don't ever get them.  i do not want to protect them from exposure, but to allow their bodies to be exposed to bacteria and viruses so their bodies may develop a natural immunity.  This does not include tetanus.  I practice good wound care, and if there was a real risk, would get the anti-toxin.  

so that leaves, hmmmmmmmmm.  oh wait.  yeah, i'm that mom.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#8 of 10 Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 PM

I am going for the Dtap first (with no preservatives).  This is the recommendation of my naturopathic pediatrician due to local outbreaks of pertussis in the last few years and my two month old's exposure to my college age students (she comes to school with me).  My husband and I both got boosters last year, for the P (because we had friends with infants) and the T (because we always keep tetanus up to date).  Our life style demands it.  Unfortunately good wound care is not always enough.  My husband ends up wounded by all kinds of weird things because of the type of work he does.  Also, for me death is not the only measure of an epidemic.  I don't want my baby or other people's baby suffering in the ICU either.  

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#9 of 10 Old 09-16-2012, 11:56 AM

what dtap are you getting? i wasn't aware of one with no preservatives, but haven't looked into it lately

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#10 of 10 Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 PM

Rebecca- It turns out that the DTaP I got did have low levels of aluminum, but no thimerosal.  It was the Daptacel.  Baby responded really well- no issues at all.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page