I know this sounds crazy...but I'm considering just ONE vaccine (the best and safest)...ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello mamas and papas!  hola.gif

My DD is 2.5 and we are finally getting ready to put her in preschool.  It's been wonderful having her at home, but she is ready and we are ready to send her out into the great big world..."to every season" I suppose (sniff sniff!)...

So, I am finding myself faced with justifying my reasons for not (yet?) vaccinating.  I would honestly love to have her remain completely unvaccinated, but even the preschools are saying that I need a waiver signed by my pediatrician in order to have her admitted.  My ped has been pretty understanding about my not vaccinating.  Each visit, I tell the ped that I am delaying immunization and will wait for a future date...  The ped has, however, recommended the MMR and DtaP.  The ped clearly knows that I am "natural-minded" as I had a homebirth homebirth.jpg, cloth diapered (done with that now!), DH and I were both babywearers, I cosleep fambedsingle1.gif (Daddy is a finnicky sleeper and likes extra room so he usually sleeps alone) and am still BFing toddler.gif.

So, here's where my mind is right now:  I really do not want to appear non-compliant (to schools OR my hubby).  Honestly, even my own DH DOES want to vaccinate, but just doesn't believe in doing all of them and certainly not more than one at a time.  So, what if I have DD immunized for ONE of these major diseases that the "miracle" of modern science can stave off?

The question is this:  What would be the best one to go with?

The side question is this:  Do I sound crazy?  nut.gif

Thanks so much for all of your sound advice.

#2 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know your husband, but if you know there's no way he will accept not vaccinating, and you're sure just one vaccine will satisfy him, then I guess that is what you have to do. But allowing one vaccine in order to appear "compliant" to the doctor or to schools makes no sense whatsoever.

What state are you in? You will need to get a non-medical exemption (either philosophical or religious) depending on what state you are in. The exemption will be required even if your child is just missing one dose of one vaccine. The doctor does not need to sign the exemption, unless you live in Washington state.

Bokonon likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 PM

Get your child a vaccine because you feel the benefits outweigh the risks; not because you are trying to appease someone.  Research the pros and cons of each vaccine you are considering as well as the risks of the individual illnesses, and if you are still undecided, talk to your husband about it.  You can always give a vaccine later on, but can't undo one if you change your mind.

Schools do not look at having just one vaccine as being compliant - they are more likely to see it as "well, you've done this one, so obviously you don't have a philosophical or religious objection to vaccines as a whole", making it a lot more complicated to get an exemption if you are leaning towards doing so.  Not impossible, but more difficult.  

At the end of the day, you need to do what you believe is in your child's best interests, whether that be fully vaccinating, partially, or not at all.

In California, for my kids to enter public school, I had to submit a philosophical exemption and our pediatrician had nothing to do with it.  I don't know how it is in other states, but if it's not a medical exemption, then your doctor might not need to be involved at all, and the preschools might be misinformed.

And Welcome.gif!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies.  These points make so much sense and I really appreciate your insight.

So...I think I'm just going to sit tight for now.  Not going to vax just to appease someone or a potential preschool/school situation.  I'm located in Virginia and I'm not really sure about my rights here on this matter...but does anyone know if a private childcare facility or school require vaccination for admittance?

Virginia is typically a pretty conservative state, so this may be why I'm facing a little more adversity with potential child care/schooling as well as on the homefront.

Thanks again for your feedback and hope everyone has a wonderful evening!

#5 of 6 Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This is the exemption form for Virginia.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/immunization/documents/cre_1.pdf

MelodySkies likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 09-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

If your DH is so queasy about non-vaxxing then get him started into doing some research on the topic. My DH was the same and since he is reading about it and discussing it with me, he has turned into a non-vaxxer as well. Wish you good luck on what ever decision you will make but please make an educated one.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page