Tetanus Q - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this in the I'm Not vaccinating forum but thought I might get varied responses here.  

Ds is 7 UNVAXXED and just ran into a metal filing cabinet. His head bled quite a Bit at first. Dr (integrative medicine and vaccine friendly) recommends shot bc it was with metal. Don't know what to do. So upset. This happened at a friends house.

Does the TIG have alumimum or just the DT/Tetanus vaccine?

#2 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You should be able to look online and find out the meal content of the filing cabinet.  But more importantly, Tetanus is caused bu a bacterrie (C.tetani), that lives in the dirt outside.  I highly doubt the file cabinet was stored outside, so you are probably OK.  If you want the vax, ask for just the Tetanus Toxoid (TT) which is for post exposure and does not have any of the other options.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#3 of 8 Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 PM

To my understanding, as long as there is BLEEDING then there is no risk of tetanus.  I may be completely OFF here.

#4 of 8 Old 10-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Bleeding does not matter, the question is whether or not the tetanus bacteria (usually found in the dirt) is present.  Since there is little chance that the filing cabinet was exposed to dirt, they should be OK.  HOWEVER, due to liability issues, all licensed health care practitioners will recommend an immediate tetanus shot.  

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#5 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 06:08 AM

Doc is way off. First, metal has nothing to do with tetanus, other than often being the dirty object that causes the wound.  Tetanus can be caused by a stick, plastic, metal, etc.  It is anaerobic and needs a wound that has no oxygenation in order to survive.

Second, if your son is unvaccinated, a tetanus shot (vaccine, I assume?) will do absolutely nothing to prevent tetanus at this point.  He would need TIG (immune globulin) if he were indeed at risk.

If it were my unvaxed kid, I wouldn't even think twice about it, unless it was a puncture wound from a metal filing cabinet that had been buried in dirt for a while. 

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#6 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post

Bleeding does not matter, the question is whether or not the tetanus bacteria (usually found in the dirt) is present.  Since there is little chance that the filing cabinet was exposed to dirt, they should be OK.  HOWEVER, due to liability issues, all licensed health care practitioners will recommend an immediate tetanus shot.  

actually bleeding DOES matter  - alot. Since bleeding is what tells you a wound is oxegynated and tetanus cannot survive in the presence of oxygen

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

actually bleeding DOES matter  - alot. Since bleeding is what tells you a wound is oxegynated and tetanus cannot survive in the presence of oxygen

Bleeding is good, but it doesn't absolutely guarantee that all tetanus spores are washed out of the body.  

#8 of 8 Old 10-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

Bleeding is good, but it doesn't absolutely guarantee that all tetanus spores are washed out of the body.  

I never said it was a guarantee. Nothing is guaranteed except death and taxes :)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page