College snafu - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter started as a freshman in College this fall in Georgia, she has not been vaccinated since

she was two years old, prior to that receiving all scheduled shots. We got religious and stopped

vaccinating at that time. She has had a religious exemption all through grade, middle and high school

and I sent her off to college with a religious exemption. She is interested in pre-med and believes she

has to get vaccines to go to med school. I told her we would look into it and she went ahead and

got a vaccine while being treated for a sore throat at the health center. She is eighteen.

Within two weeks she received an email, explaining she had to be current on her vaccines

to register for spring semester. This is the first place I've looked. What is the policy for

getting vaccinated as an adult, and if you have had some shots? I am concerned that she might get overvaccinated,

Can they hold up her registration? Any one have any experience with this? Thanks

#2 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM

I think that it depends partly on whether it is a private or public school.  But she will face a lot of difficulties in the medical profession with this if she is trying not to get them.  That does not mean it would be impossible to avoid them, though.  If you are wanting to get them, but slowly, then you should be able to do so. 

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#3 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks she is at a public school.

#4 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My child had to show her vaccine record before she was issued a dorm key. She is a freshman at a college just outside Atlanta, Ga. We have done a select/delayed thing with her and so she had the vaccines the college felt were most needed. And she and I have had long talks about why and what to expect from here on out. She is a nursing student and at some point may be subjected to "flu shots or else".
#5 of 7 Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM

HI,

Sorry this has started the year off in a difficult way. I would think the college would post somewhere what their vaccine rules are. And how you exempt from them. You might be able to find out from the registration office or even the health center.

Happy Mom of radiant twin girls. Information gives you the power to choose.

#6 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

From my personal experience:

Attendance at a public university is covered by a religious exemption, however staying in on campus housing is not.  Usually the housing department has their requirements for vaccinations.  In addition, all medical related programs have requirements for immunizations that are not flexible (as many of them are the requirements of the hospitals the clinicals take place in).  Most require Hepatitis B, varicella (or a titer to prove immunity) MMR, and TDaP.  

The vaxes she had before age 2 will be counted, so you need to get her records.  However, I would ask what vaxes are required before I started getting shots.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#7 of 7 Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I am relieved to be getting ideas.-Deborah

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page