Long island new York and selective religious excemption need MAJOR HELP:,( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 10 Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
nolajane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to see where to begin. I live on long island new York. Our preschools have never given us a problem about our delayed vaccine schedule. My daughter just entered kindergarten and the school nurse is threatening to kick her out of school if I did not get her the measles booster and two hep b shots. I had decided I was not giving my children hep b because I myself had the hep b shot at a sick visit on the drs office..we were talking about my upcoming trip to Mexico and recommended it. If I had known what I know now, I would never get a vaccine while my immunity was low. I was not educated on this subject on the time and listened to my dr.s advice. Little did I know I was maybe 2 weeks pregnant with my daughter. Once I found out I was pregnant, my dr assured me it was safe for my baby.
I gave birth to my daughter and never felt the same. A few months down the road I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Do I know if the hep b shot caused this? No but I have read their is a "possible link" to ms from the hep b shot. Being that my children have my genetic disposition, I do not want to risk this.
problem is that I gave her the measles shot but I do not want to do the hep b shot. I got a religious excemption form. I am Jewish and honestly it is not against my religion to give my children this shot..it's against me as a mother. I really feel lost and I think i may have screwed myself that the school nurse knows I did the measles booster.

In the state of new York is there anyway to selectively make a religious excemption? The only component I can find is yeast. I'm supposed to say that injected yeast into my child is against my religion?
nolajane is offline  
#2 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 PM
 
HappyHappyMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,928
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I'm bumping up your post. bump.gif This sounds like a stressful situation for you, OP. Anyone have information to share?
 


hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

HappyHappyMommy is offline  
#3 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 PM
 
LitMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately, in New York, you cannot oppose only certain vaccines. If you're going to do a religious exemption, it must be to the entire practice of vaccination entirely. So... you can claim a sudden religious conversion that you will do no further vaccines... but I think they are likely to challenge it given the recent MMR...

 

Or you can look for a doctor who may be willing to write you a medical exemption for that specific vaccine. We have a medical one for DS due to hives and allergic reaction to Hep B, but these can be hard to get without a very clear reaction by that specific child to that specific vaccine. I would probably try that direction, however.

 

She can't require 2 HepBs given at the same time, by the way, she can only require that you start the series or continue the series on the CDCs recommended timeframe. (2 HepBs at once wouldn't help with immunity anyhow; dose 1 and dose 2 have to be separated by I think 6 months.)

 

One other option if your daughter has had one HepB shot might be to do titers rather than boosters. That means they draw blood and test the antibody level to HepB. For several things, high enough titers are acceptable instead of vaccines. I know MMR and Varicella are acceptable by titer instead of vax. I'll see if I can find out for HepB.


Book loving, editor mom to 2

LitMom is offline  
#4 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
 
Jennyanydots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nm- good luck!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Jennyanydots is offline  
#5 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM
 
LitMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here we go!

 

"Demonstrated serologic evidence of either measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B or varicella antibodies is acceptable proof of immunity to these diseases." from http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2370.pdf

 

Since I'm guessing your daughter has had one HepB vax, or they'd be telling you she needs 3 of them, not 2, I think your best bet is calling your doctor and asking for a titer test for HepB. It's a simple blood test, and hopefully she will test high enough that it will take the place of what the nurse is asking for.


Book loving, editor mom to 2

LitMom is offline  
#6 of 10 Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 PM
 
LitMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NY doesn't allow you to oppose one vaccine. It's all or nothing. 

Book loving, editor mom to 2

LitMom is offline  
#7 of 10 Old 09-28-2012, 12:07 AM
 
Jennyanydots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitMom View Post

No, NY doesn't allow you to oppose one vaccine. It's all or nothing. 
If you will notce, we cross posted and when I read your response I deleted mine. If you will please edit your post to delete my quote, I would appreciate it- TIA

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Jennyanydots is offline  
#8 of 10 Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 AM
 
LitMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No worries, Jenny, it was a good idea. NY is just stringent about exemptions.


Book loving, editor mom to 2

LitMom is offline  
#9 of 10 Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Jennyanydots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, litmom - yeah, that sounds like a difficult situation for OP. Hope she's able to work things out.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Jennyanydots is offline  
#10 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 AM
 
reg423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Nolajane, any progress with your situation? It might help to contact Gary Krasner at the Coalition for Informed Choice. I heard he's helped many in these situations. Best of luck - I'm praying for you!

reg423 is offline  
Reply

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off