tetanus vax for child involved with horses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering having my non-vaccinated 11 year old DD get tetanus (or dT as I can't seem to locate a tetanus-only vax) because she's been getting into horseback riding and wants to do volunteer work at a stable. I'd appreciate any thoughts, pro and con. I'm on the fence about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

All I can tell you is what I would do. I wouldn't do it. I think that proper wound care is far more important than any injury your daughter may (never) get. On the off chance that she sustained a wound that was of concern, she could get the TIG. However if you are just going to worry about her being unvaccinated because she is in a stable, and it;s going to cause you stress and anxiety, Id say go ahead and get it.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I think I'm going to stick with my instincts and let her remain unvaccinated.

#4 of 4 Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM

i will say that i know two people, one a sister that both choose not to Vax as a general rule and both got their kids only the Tetanus shots because they were active in places where the risk was, like your daughter.  one of the moms got one other shot a few years later because of a particular high threat prior to a trip to central america (cant remember what), but otherwise has not vaxed either kid, they are both now teenagers.

i think it is very legitimate to look at vax as a very one by one case, they really run the whole gamut in the risk vs risk spectrum.

Since tetanus is one of the things that needs to be caught early and cant really be a wait and see sort of thing, i feel like i would worry too often when she gets scrapped up, and around a barn that is going to happen.  I grew up with horses an love it, what a great animal. but yeah i was always covered in grime and scrapes and worse.  not trying to worry you, just to give you a honest picture.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Tags
Selective Vaccination

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page