Help with MA exemption for Varivax - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know where to go from here!!! Does anyone have any suggestions???

My 3 YO DS entered preschool in Sept. He is alt/selectively, but mostly, vaxxed. He doesn't have chicken pox or Hep A or B. The only exemption options in MA are medical or religious. Our Ped would not sign off on the Medical exemption..she is pushing me to finish his schedule even though she has been flexible with my timing and delaying. 

Religious wasn't going to work for us b/c it is a Catholic preschool, and I had already stated we were Catholic. I didn't feel comfortable lying about that.

I submitted his (incomplete) Vax record in August and hoped that it would be accepted as is. It was silence up until today, about a month into school. The director (a Sister who has directed the school for 30 years) pulled me aside to ask if there was mistake on his vax record b/c there was no record of Chix Pox vax. She said she was completing state requirements and needed to have a note/exemption to include. She never pressured me to get the shot, nor did she reference the Heps, she simply said she needed a note but used the term exemption. I stated it wasn't a medical exemption, but that I would see about getting a note from his Ped.

Any suggestions on what I could ask his Ped to write, since I KNOW she won't make an official med exemption, but what about something like "I am aware of the delay of the Varivax immunization and support."

I am afraid if I go back and say that the Ped wouldn't give me anything, then they may ask us to leave if he doesn't get the shot?? 

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!!!

#2 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalmummy View Post

I don't know where to go from here!!! Does anyone have any suggestions???
My 3 YO DS entered preschool in Sept. He is alt/selectively, but mostly, vaxxed. He doesn't have chicken pox or Hep A or B. The only exemption options in MA are medical or religious. Our Ped would not sign off on the Medical exemption..she is pushing me to finish his schedule even though she has been flexible with my timing and delaying. 
Religious wasn't going to work for us b/c it is a Catholic preschool, and I had already stated we were Catholic. I didn't feel comfortable lying about that.

I submitted his (incomplete) Vax record in August and hoped that it would be accepted as is. It was silence up until today, about a month into school. The director (a Sister who has directed the school for 30 years) pulled me aside to ask if there was mistake on his vax record b/c there was no record of Chix Pox vax. She said she was completing state requirements and needed to have a note/exemption to include. She never pressured me to get the shot, nor did she reference the Heps, she simply said she needed a note but used the term exemption. I stated it wasn't a medical exemption, but that I would see about getting a note from his Ped.

Any suggestions on what I could ask his Ped to write, since I KNOW she won't make an official med exemption, but what about something like "I am aware of the delay of the Varivax immunization and support."

I am afraid if I go back and say that the Ped wouldn't give me anything, then they may ask us to leave if he doesn't get the shot?? 
Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!!!

Go to the forum called Find Your Tribe, and under Tribal Areas, find the tribe that includes MA and post this there. Moms in your state can be of immense help!

Second, is MA an all-or-nothing state? Sometimes states with religious exemptions allow picking and choosing, and sometimes your religious beliefs have to eschew all vaccines. I'd have to know more about your laws and the personal experiences of other MA moms filing exemptions. But a sincere religious exemption may still be an option for you, even as a Catholic. innocent.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#3 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

"A child shall be admitted to school upon certification by a physician that he has personally examined such child and that in his opinion the physical condition of the child is such that his health would be endangered by such vaccination or by any of such immunizations. Such certification shall be submitted at the beginning of each school year to the physician in charge of the school health program. If the physician in charge of the school health program does not agree with the opinion of the child’s physician, the matter shall be referred to the department of public health, whose decision will be final.

In the absence of an emergency or epidemic of disease declared by the department of public health, no child whose parent or guardian states in writing that vaccination or immunization conflicts with his sincere religious beliefs shall be required to present said physician’s certificate in order to be admitted to school."

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXII/Chapter76/Section15

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page