Anxious and guilty over a vaccination and supplements to support immune system after shot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I actually found a new pediatrician off the Dr Sears site. Anyway was excited to go to him with questions and not worried about him being judgemental against my not wanting to vaccinate. He was nice but I still felt very rushed but he didnt question my delaying/schedule of vaccines. Anyway my son just turned 5 and has not had any shots since 3. So technically he needed alot. But I told him I was against doing them but worried about pertusiss since I am pregnant and due in Feb. He did mention he had seen a few cases of whooping cough(he also works at the hospital) and it might be wise to get it. I caved and did it but still feel awful about it. I feel like a bad mom giving it to him. Anyway I can't suck it out of him so I am wondering what can I do to not detox him but help support his immune system. I read vitamin a is good but I should have started that before. He already gets a multi vitamin, d and a probiotic.

I also worry about the adults passing it to my newborn since it seems that is how babies are getting it. My midwife has not brought it up nor has my friends ob who is a few weeks ahead of me. Maybe its not that common around here right now? Another friend of mine said she is getting it at 30 weeks so the baby has immunity to it? How true is that? And how dangerous is it to get it while pregnant. I wont even take tylenol!! Ugh, I hate that we have to make these choices!

Ok sorry for rambling on here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM

A healthy human body is a capable of some extraordinary feats.  It can maintain a continual heartbeat throughout life.  It has lungs that breath without prompting.  It has an amazingly complicated brain that allows for the most basic functioning, while having the potential to create breathtaking pieces of art, dissect the most complex scientific principles and imagine the unimaginable.  One of the most astounding aspects of the human body is its ability to protect itself.  Through a dynamic system of mechanisms, the body can defend itself against disease and illness by recognizing and destroying pathogens, viruses and toxins that invade the body.  This structure of protection is called the immune system, and it works every day to keep the body healthy and functioning. 

The immune system contains a network of proteins, tissues, organs and cells that work together to defend and attack organism and other invaders, called antigens, that can harm the body.  The cells involved in the immune system are called leukocytes, or white blood cells.  There are two types of leukocytes, phagocytes and lymphocytes, and each has a distinct role in the immune process.  The phagocytes are the cells that ingest harmful substances in the body, like dead cells, bacteria or toxins.  Lymphocytes, which are either T cells or B cells, are a vital part of immune functioning as they recognize any previous contact with invading antigens.  B cells create antibodies, proteins that latch onto specific antigens, neutralize the antigens, while T cells destroy them.  Lymphocytes have the ability to adapt to changes in the structure of these harmful invaders.REF & More on this article:http://www.newsonhealthcare.com/understanding-the-immune-system-a-bodys-dynamic-design-for-defense/

Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 AM

Hey Brill21,

What you seem to be wondering is if "caving" was the right thing to do. There is no right or wrong. I think you just need to evaluate situations and make risk assessments for yourself. As a mom, your kid relies on your judgement, not that of a movement, or a medical community. You need to decide what info to listen to by evaluating things for yourself. And that you are willing to listen to different viewpoints is a testament to your own independence of thought, IMO.

I think it is important to focus the here and now and not get too worried about a decision you already made and can't change. If you really regret your decision, try to understand why you made it. I don't think it was a bad one, but every regret is just a reflection of something you are not sure about. I'd say at this point, eating your veggies, walking, and trying to relax will be of enormous help to your baby's immune system. :)

M

Tags
Selective Vaccination
User Tag List