Immunization Records for Selective Vax Kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

My DC is 18 months and we're going to start vaccinating. I'm finding I like the WHO chart for "Interrupted or Delayed Immunizations". I have several questions but the first is I wonder what happens to my DC's vaccination record if we just skip some of the vaccines only recommended for young children (or recognized as having limited benefit to older children).  Does the state requirement for Hib and Rotovirus, for instance, expire after the child is 2 years old? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Some vaccines are only recommended for certain age groups (rotavirus I think is a good example) and if your DC is past those risky ages it's likely of no benefit to get those vaccinations. These are all questions I would bring up at the appointment to sort out with your doctor the catch up schedule which will suit you and your daughter. S/he will know better than random people posting on an internet chat board what's the right things to do. :) 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm looking for experience with vax record issues for schools (in the States) - not quite a pediatrician's domain.  

I seem to recall this issue with DC #1 (who is 10) because we lived out of the county and didn't have the same vaccines available to us as the US schedule at the time. I think we missed one because of that that didn't make sense to catch up on once we got back to the states. 

Any selective mamas who chose not to do HIB or Rotovirus have any trouble with getting into school?

#4 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View PostS/he will know better than random people posting on an internet chat board what's the right things to do. :) 

And besides...I love my random chat board mamas. love.gif

#5 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Anonymous, random chat board person here, to give you some verifiable and not so random information...

Schools cannot require a vaccine that is not FDA approved for a certain age group.

Rotavirus is not FDA approved past 32 weeks.

"RotaTeq is approved for use in infants 6 weeks to 32 weeks of age."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM142288.pdf

"ROTARIX is approved for use in infants 6 weeks to 24 weeks of age."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM133539.pdf

There are several Hib vaccines, with various upper age limits for FDA approval, ranging from 18 months to 71 months.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm093833.htm

However, the CDC says, "Hib vaccine should be considered for unvaccinated persons aged 5 years or older who have sickle cell disease, leukemia, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, or anatomic/functional asplenia."

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf

But that is not the general population, and I have never seen Hib as a required vaccine for kindergarten and above.

If you are concerned about daycare requirements for Hib, that would be different from state to state.

#6 of 11 Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Anonymous, random chat board person here, to give you some verifiable and not so random information...

Schools cannot require a vaccine that is not FDA approved for a certain age group.

Rotavirus is not FDA approved past 32 weeks.

"RotaTeq is approved for use in infants 6 weeks to 32 weeks of age."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM142288.pdf

"ROTARIX is approved for use in infants 6 weeks to 24 weeks of age."

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM133539.pdf

There are several Hib vaccines, with various upper age limits for FDA approval, ranging from 18 months to 71 months.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm093833.htm

However, the CDC says, "Hib vaccine should be considered for unvaccinated persons aged 5 years or older who have sickle cell disease, leukemia, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, or anatomic/functional asplenia."

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf

But that is not the general population, and I have never seen Hib as a required vaccine for kindergarten and above.

If you are concerned about daycare requirements for Hib, that would be different from state to state.

Interesting! The WHO lists RV (both forms) as still desirable under 12 months and "limited benefit" over 24 months and Hib as not recommended over 2. 

#7 of 11 Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See what your state "requires" for school. Here in Ohio for children starting kindergarten they need to have Dtap,polio,Hep B.,chickenpox,and MMR. younger kids going into preschool need different shots and different doses.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#8 of 11 Old 11-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
For kindergarten admission, most states want kids up-to-date on DTaP, polio, MMR, Hep B, and varicella. Some, including my own, want Hep A. None of them require HIB, RV, or Prevnar 7/13 for kindergartners. Look up your state's laws to be sure:

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements.aspx

Also, are you planning to get caught up on all of the requirements, or just some? If you're thinking of just doing just some, keep in mind that in some states--especially those with only stringent religious exemptions--you have to do all or nothing. Laws aren't always clear about this, so you may want to ask some experienced moms in the find-your-tribe section.

Also, docs in the states use the CDC's catch-up schedule (readily Googlable) and not the WHO's. (I'm not sure, but there may not be a difference). *Study the chart carefully* including the footnotes. Nurses who are used to working on autopilot with vax-compliant families can easily overlook the details and give extra, unnecessary doses. Ask me how I know. eyesroll.gif

Good luck!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#9 of 11 Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks for the suggestions. We've already run into some issues with the WHO vs. CDC schedule so I guess I'll need to print both out and do some comparison. If we do end up being selective, I suppose we'll just do an exemption but I'd like DC to be fully vaxed for Kindy. 

#10 of 11 Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

That is a great link! I'm a big scattered with my resources for vax info and that link is so wonderful! It certainly simplifies the question of which vaxs needed for school and makes THAT part of the process seem so much more do-able. Thanks so much for that! 

I feel like I can now use that as our "will vax" list and then move off that list to the "optional" vaccines (as far as school is concerned) and really research based only on need, effectivness and side effects. 

#11 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is in kindergarten now and never received the rotavirus vax, Hep A or B and only had one Hib dose. Once he turned 5 they didn't require the Hib anymore so it was a non-issue. His school only requires that he be up to date on Chicken Pox, MMR, Polio and DTAP which he is. He was never up to date on his vaxes for pre-school but they never cared. We follow a delayed/selective schedule and luckily it's all worked out so far.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page