Moving across WV state line in order to avoid vaxing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Friends,

We will be moving from TX in the summer of 2013 for hubby's job (specifically located in the Shepherdstown, WV area). We have a 6-month-old son, and we have chosen to delay all vaccines at this time. Over the next several years, we may do one or two vaccines prior to him going to kindergarten, but that will be all. I am aware of WV's mandated vaccine laws for enrolling in public school and understand there is really no getting around them, or the list of the vaccines they require (FYI - it's important to us for our son to attend public school rather than homeschooling or private school if at all possible).

So we are getting creative. Because Shepherdstown is located very close to the Maryland border, we are considering living in Maryland (perhaps Sharpsburg??) so that Baby Boy can attend public school there, and Hubby can commute a short distance across the state line to Shepherdstown. In my research, Maryland appears to have a vaccine exemption, so it would appear this would meet our need of not having to vax for our son to attend public school. Anything I'm missing here? How do other people handle this? Any other towns/cities across the WV border in MD or VA we should consider? I would appreciate any and all constructive and supportive thoughts. Thanks so much. smile.gif

#2 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That is an excellent plan. According to Google Maps, it's about a 10 minute drive. I don't see any other towns that are close.

Public/private/homeschool is all the same in West Virginia regarding vaccine requirements.

kathymuggle likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Here is the WV parents advocacy group's web site, if you haven't already found it. 

http://www.wetheparents.info/

I aggree with ma2two, livng in MD makes huge sense. Good luck with the move.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

OP, I am moving this to "Mindful Vaccination" because you mentioning delaying vaccinations. Please note that both "Mindful Vaccination" and "I'm Not Vaccinating" are now both support-only forums, so I hope you'll find continued support with the thread in its new location.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate your responses and support.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page