Rotavirus - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)

I think anyone who's used a daycare in the developed world will have experience with how fast tummy bugs spread through those places. Yes we have good hygiene, but it can never be perfect. 

Since I consider vaccines very safe I am pleased to have them available to reduce the discomfort my children would suffer from various diseases I know are unlikely to be very serious in the developed world. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 77 Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I think anyone who's used a daycare in the developed world will have experience with how fast tummy bugs spread through those places. Yes we have good hygiene, but it can never be perfect. 

Since I consider vaccines very safe I am pleased to have them available to reduce the discomfort my children would suffer from various diseases I know are unlikely to be very serious in the developed world. 

Viral gastroenteritis is spread via close contact with infected persons.  Rotavirus is not; it's spread primarily through infected feces.

Daycare centers have very stringent policies regarding hygiene; they don't even allow cloth diapers.  Children with diarrhea and/or vomiting are sent home as soon as possible, with instructions not to return until 24 hours after the last intestinal event. 

Breastfed babies are far, far less likely to come down with such an illness, and when they do, it's almost always far milder than in formula-fed babies.

#63 of 77 Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

In support of the OP, posts 17 and 18 from this thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1370826/infant-mortality-rates-regressed-against-number-of-vaccine-doses-routinely-given-is-there-a-biochemical-or-synergistic-toxicity#post_17215451

may give you a lot of helpful information.  I thought I knew a fair bit about rotavirus and the vaccines for it, but I found some of this information really eye-opening.

hth!

#64 of 77 Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cloth diapers depends on the daycare and the state. My daycare allows them.
#65 of 77 Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks or all the help taxi. Hope I can return the favor in the not vaccinating forum sometime. Golden rule and all.
#66 of 77 Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Let's stay on topic out of respect for the OP. I am posting the guidelines for this forum again and asking that members respect the great deal of effort that went into providing a safe place for all vax choices: 

Quote:

Mindful Vaccination -  This is a support-only forum for those who are vaccinating selectively, on a delayed schedule or fully vaccinating on schedule. Members who aren't vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

OP, it sounds like you may want some support from the perspective of folks who have decided to not vaccinate. If you would like their perspective specifically, you are welcome to cross post in the "I'm not vaccinating" forum. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#67 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

UPDATE:Skipped the second rota dose....accepted second dtap dose. Little one also had his first dose of PC and was so irratable for days and had a fever....I need to research this one as well

#68 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)

Thanks for the update.  Did the doctor give you a hard time about skipping the second rota?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#69 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

She is very respectful about it and is asking me think about HIB...which I will!!

#70 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM

I am glad she was respectful.

I would get the Vaccine Book out from the library, by Doctor Sears.  It is neither a zealous defender of the current vaccine schedule  or non-vax.  I would say it takes a fairly thorough (but still basic) look at vaccines through a selective/delayed lens.  

Some of the topics in the book are discussed here:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#71 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM

The vaccine book has a fair amount of misleading and inaccurate information. I don't care for it. I recommend vaccines and your child: separating facts from fiction.
prosciencemum likes this.
#72 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kathymuggle, I will check it out

Rrrrrrrachel, that is exactly why I am "mindfully vaccinating", I despise conflicting research!!!

oh and the flu shot is also recommended when my baby is a year old, puh-lease!

#73 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Conflicting research is kind of an inevitability, though. 

#74 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

The vaccine book has a fair amount of misleading and inaccurate information. I don't care for it. I recommend vaccines and your child: separating facts from fiction.

Such as?  mischievous.gif  Another debate for another time, perhaps.

I think she should get both books to get differring viewpoints.

mercy96 likes this.

#75 of 77 Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Sure! Can't go wrong with reading more!
#76 of 77 Old 11-28-2013, 04:41 AM

I'm considering this one now.
Any evidence that it isn't safe, now that it's been routinely given for about a year?

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#77 of 77 Old 11-28-2013, 04:53 AM

Google intussusception and rotavirus, do the math on your risk factors and decide from there.  Good luck!

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page