Rotavirus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

Im new to Mothering!

Anyway, my baby just got the first dose. Im on the fence about continuing it because its considered a new vaccine. Has anybody discontinued doses on a vaccine?

Ive tried to do my homework but I dont know what to believe anymore...

#2 of 77 Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM

I did. smile.gif Rotavirus is an easy one to refuse, too, because once they get past 8 months (I think?) they can't get it anyway.

Welcome to Mothering!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 77 Old 11-13-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the welcome!

yeesh, so much to think about when mindfully vaccinating!

#4 of 77 Old 11-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

I did. smile.gif Rotavirus is an easy one to refuse, too, because once they get past 8 months (I think?) they can't get it anyway.
Welcome to Mothering!!

I think you can get it past that age, it's just not as likely to be serious, so the vaccine risk benefit analysis the CDC does on your behalf falls on the side of not vaccinating after a certain age.

This vaccine just about to be made available in the uk which is great news in my opinion.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 77 Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy96 View Post

Hi

Im new to Mothering!

Anyway, my baby just got the first dose. Im on the fence about continuing it because its considered a new vaccine. Has anybody discontinued doses on a vaccine?

Ive tried to do my homework but I dont know what to believe anymore...

A vaccine does not have to be continued if you don't want to proceed.

My youngest got all of the recommended vaccines at 2 months and then I decided to delay further.  She was breastfed and not in daycare, so rotavirus was never a big risk for her to begin with.

I've known more babies to get rotavirus after having the vaccine than ones who were unvaccinated.  I know that's anecdotal, but for a breastfed baby, rotavirus is rarely severe.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#6 of 77 Old 11-17-2012, 05:25 PM

They actually won't give rota past a certain age. I can't remember what it was but it's under or
At a year I think.
#7 of 77 Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 AM

14 weeks is the cut-off. We declined it for both children.

#8 of 77 Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 AM

There are two cut offs I think, one to start and one to finish by.
#9 of 77 Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

The husband and I have decided to stop rotavirus. I got a bad case of diarrhea as a toddler but I was exclusively formula fed. Thanks all
#10 of 77 Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM

I had a bad case of diarrhea as a toddler and had to be hospitalized. I don't think breastmilk vs formula probably impacted that much by that age (I had some of both as an infant), and I wasn't in day care. I would have preferred to get this vax for my daughter, to reduce our risk of having such a problem, and I didn't end up being able to because we missed the window--doc was supposed to order it and didn't. 

#11 of 77 Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input. I wound up in the hospital with salmonella when I was in kindergarten, not vaccine related I know, but a reminder that we live in a world where food is easily contaminated and there are people that dont wash their hands. Its also difficult for me to have my child injected with vaccines that I have concluded I cannot fully trust because of conflicting research.

We did not have these vaccines as children and we turned out alright!

#12 of 77 Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 AM

Well, the ones of us who lived to tell about it, at least.
Honey693 and mercy96 like this.
#13 of 77 Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM

Sure, I turned out all right, but if you asked my parents, they'd tell you that they would have just as soon not had to go through having their small child hospitalized. Vaccines aren't just about preventing death or permanent disability. 

prosciencemum likes this.
#14 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Which, from when mercy96 was a child, and assuming she lived in a developed country, was the vast majority of people.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#15 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Saying "I did _____and I was fine" is no more accurate for vaccines than it is for breastfeeding or carseats, is my point. It's the ultimate selection bias.
Honey693 likes this.
#16 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM

Op…my 2 cents, but this is easily verifiable:

If you live in a wealthy country, your child is breastfed and not in daycare, you probably do not have much to worry about with regards to rotavirus.  

http://www.drgreene.com/azguide/rotavirus

"not much" to worry about is not the same as nothing, but vaccines have risks as well.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#17 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Saying "I landed in hospital with diarrhea, so therefore my kids will be vaxxed for rota"  is no different than saying "My kid had a  bad vaccine reaction, therefore no further kids will be vaxxed"

I understand people on any side of this debate making a decision based on personal experience; for those of us without personal experience, stats are a good way to go.  Most kids get Rotavirus.  Almost all recover, and fairly easily.  Kids in daycare or not breastfed are more likely to get it when they are quite young and less equipped to deal it.  Even still, your chances of recovering from rota in the USA is incredibly high, period.  Rota is spread through a fecal-oral route.  

#18 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

Saying "I did _____and I was fine" is no more accurate for vaccines than it is for breastfeeding or carseats, is my point. It's the ultimate selection bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

As is saying "my brothers has mumps and it was awful - so all my kids will be vaxxed for mumps."

"my brothers has mumps and it was awful - so all my kids will be vaxxed for mumps." is not selection bias.  Selection bias refers to the fact that those who did not survive VADs (or riding without carseats or being fed evaporated milk and Karo syrup) can not answer polls or surveys.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#19 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:

How many, in first world countries, your generation, died from a vpd?
Mirzam likes this.
#20 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

"my brothers has mumps and it was awful - so all my kids will be vaxxed for mumps." is not selection bias.  Selection bias refers to the fact that those who did not survive VADs (or riding without carseats or being fed evaporated milk and Karo syrup) can not answer polls or surveys.

There aren't all that many of them to make much of a difference to a poll or survey.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#21 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

I will get rid of anything relating to selection bias (which is not much) - otherwise my point holds.

#22 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Oh - ask me!  I know the answer!  Almost none.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/G/cases&deaths.pdf

(

mercy96 likes this.

#23 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

It's still a foolish argument.
#24 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Saying "I landed in hospital with diarrhea, so therefore my kids will be vaxxed for rota"  is no different than saying "My kid had a  bad vaccine reaction, therefore no further kids will be vaxxed"

For the record, my personal experience wasn't my only reason to want that vaccine. 

I do think that if one kid has a bad vaccine reaction it makes sense to avoid or limit vaxes in future. For an actual bad reaction, not for something mild like swelling at the injection site lasting a couple of days. On another board I saw someone considering stopping vaxes because her babe was kind of fussy after the 4 month shots, and that just doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to me. 

#25 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM

One kid having a bad reaction, IMO, is absolutely worth taking into account for future children. That's genetics.
#26 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Op…..

You could research how effective Rota vax is after one shot and go from there.  

I know 95% of people show  immunity to MMR after 1 shot but DTaP is not overly effective after one shot.  Good luck in sorting it out.  

mercy96 likes this.

#27 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM

I think op is long gone. Rotovirus is an oral vaccine not a shot.
#28 of 77 Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM

nm

#29 of 77 Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 AM

Several silly bickering posts have been removed for being personally targeted as opposed to on topic. "She started it" doesn't excuse UAVs.

Please reply to the OP, and keep in mind that this is mindful vaccination, which is support only.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#30 of 77 Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

I WILL check how effective it is after one dose, genuine thanks kathymuggle. Theres no long term studies on this vaccine which ultimately is my reason for declining further doses. I really dont care how far science and medicine has come. For example, it took fifty years for flipper babies to get an apology from the company that made the drug that hurt them. Whose to say it wont happen again?

Thanks for the debate!

rachelsmama and Turquesa like this.

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page