tetanus stress! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My 10 year old unvaccinated son was bitten by a small marsupial (a quokka in Western Australia) 2 days ago. It took a chunk out of his finger. We cleaned it with soapy water, fresh water and a lot of dettol 'wound wash', then dried and applied savlon and a dressing. It did bleed a bit. It does not look inflamed at all, and he does not complains of pain.

We saw the GP today for other things and of course when he heard about the bite was very keen for us to go to the hospital for tetanus immunoglobulin, and subsequent vaccination. I am feeling so overwhelmed and anxious with the decision to go either way. I am terrified that if we don't give him the immunoglobulin he will get terribly unwell, and if we do, and the vaccination he will too.

I have given him homoeopathic prophylaxis but he hasn't had any for a few years. Yesterday and today I have given him Ledum 30c once each day.

I know I am suffering huge anxiety over this and it is clouding my ability to make a rational decision. I feel paralysed with indecision and fear and am very teary about the desicion.

Any suggestions or advice re the tetanus risk would be great. My anxiety is something I know I need to deal with, and will, but this more urgent issue is what I need help to address.

Thanks in advance

#2 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 AM

I would get the vaccination without a second thought.

#3 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My kids are partially vaxed. In this scenario, I'd get them the shot.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#4 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM

In the U.S. I would be more worried about rabies than Tetnus, but in Australia that isn't a concern.  I would personally get the tetnus shot for him.

#5 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)

If it bled, I think the risk of tetanus is low.  The risk of tetanus is very low anyways  (about 1/12 000 000 in the USA) - and most common in the elderly, drug users, diabetics, etc.  The 1/12 000 000 does take into account most people are vaxxed, but the number of non-vaxxed indivuals who get tetanus is still extremely low.  Smart vax said this:

"To determine the average risk of an unvaccinated child contracting tetanus from an acute injury, we utilized the reported tetanus cases in the pre-vaccine era (1947 – 1949) of 580 cases per year [5] and assumed 75% of cases were reported to calculate an estimated tetanus incidence rate per year amongst unvaccinated individuals in the USA of 0.05 per 10,000 or 1 in 190,000.  The cumulative risk of death from tetanus due to acute injury up to age 5 was calculated to be 0.013 per 10,000 or 1 in 759,000. "

If you do decide to bring him in for immunoglobulin you do not have to give a tetanus vax at the same time.  It will not be useful for this wound anyways.  You can think about it.

You are new (which is the only reason I am putting this out there) but this is mindful vax where only vaccine support is allowed.  If you are looking for alternative views, you might want to cross post in vaccine debate or non-vax.

Welcome to MDC!

Kathy

Chicharronita likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

If it bled, I think the risk of tetanus is low.  The risk of tetanus is very low anyways  (about 1/12 000 000 in the USA) - and most common in the elderly, drug users, etc.  The 1/12 000 000 does take into account most people are vaxxed, but the number of non-vaxxed indivuals who get tetanus is still extremely low.  Smart vax said this:

"To determine the average risk of an unvaccinated child contracting tetanus from an acute injury, we utilized the reported tetanus cases in the pre-vaccine era (1947 – 1949) of 580 cases per year [5] and assumed 75% of cases were reported to calculate an estimated tetanus incidence rate per year amongst unvaccinated individuals in the USA of 0.05 per 10,000 or 1 in 190,000.  The cumulative risk of death from tetanus due to acute injury up to age 5 was calculated to be 0.013 per 10,000 or 1 in 759,000. "

If you do decide to bring him in for immunoglobulin you do not have to give a tetanus vax at the same time.  It will not be useful for this wound anyways.  You can think about it.

You are new (which is the only reason I am putting this out there) but this is mindful vax where only vaccine support is allowed.  If you are looking for alternative views, you might want to cross post in vaccine debate or non-vax.

Welcome to MDC!

Kathy

Bites are high risk for tetanus, regardless of how much they bleed, because teeth can innoculate bacteria deep into the wound.

FYI.

#7 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Definitely the immunoglobulin. We vax for tetanus, but don't feel rushed to make that decision in the ER.

Of course...you've probably made your choice by now.Check back in and let us know how it went.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#8 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 AM

in my unvaxed child, i'd get the TiG...

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page