How can we get insurance companies to cover booster shots for adults? And doctor's to routinely maintain them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As someone who believes very much in the usefulness of vaccines to keep everyone healthy, I would really love to see every adult (who does not object) getting regular booster shots to maintain our herd immunity. I feel that we are protecting ourselves and we are also best able to maintain a level of protection for those who need it most, namely children and the immuno-compromised. However, it seems that most adults have no awareness of their need to maintain a schedule of booster shots throughout their lifetimes. Even worse, IMO, most doctors don't seem to bring it up to their patients. I feel that it may be because many insurance companies won't cover boosters for adults, so most doctors don't even bother asking their patients to get a shot because they know that the cost would be prohibitive. Ideally, I would like every insurance company to be forced to cover adult boosters and every doctor's office to have a computer system that reminds the doctor when it's time for a patient's booster shot, as many do with the flu shot. How can we make this happen? I know insurance companies aren't going to just start offering to cover adult boosters out of the goodness of their hearts, so how can we insist that they do so? Would it require legislature, enough pressure from the doctors, or is there something that we could do at the patient level?

#2 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 AM

My insurance does cover flu shots, with no copay, even. They send out annual mailings in the late summer/fall reminding folks of it as well. I also know of several doctors recommending pertussis boosters for new parents or, of course, tetanus with some kinds of injuries.

I wonder if part of it is because there really aren't that many adult vaxes/boosters that are recommended for everyone:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule-easy-read.pdf

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

real UNIVERSAL health care and this county will not go for that!

if they don't feel woman should have birth control (and reality is some do not use it for birth control yet people don't even get that!!!)  do you honestly feel they would buy that we should be for vaccines for adults? in the minds of most they feel vaccines work 101% and  see no need for this---we want cuts, cuts and cuts, do you really feel most people care that the old woman gets shingles vs a cut to headstart? we don't care for people in general in this country we are not going to be covering vaccines anytime soon-IMO

this country is not in the mind set to do this and most insurances will not do any more than they have to, this really is a greater problem, not just coverage but care, it's not a priority and I don't see it being any time soon

my insurance will not cover it, nor will the cover a delay visit for a child-they are not required and only will cover what they are forced to do, given how many complain (we are a group) about the cost, I know many that feel if you have a kid they don't want to pay for you to do what you want let alone an adults

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

My insurance -- and it is definitely not a "Cadillac" policy -- covers flu shots and boosters.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#5 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Ours covers flu shots and boosters.  I was surprised b/c our insurance, while not complete crap, isn't fantastic either.

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 6 Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM

I think  alot of the problem is the tremendous variation in healthcare in this country.  I have had four insurance companies over my adult life.   2 of them covered boosters and 2 didn't.  Aggravating.  Thankfully, my insurance company now covers them all 100%.  Though I personally get my flu shot at the pharmacy and pay the fee because it is more convenient than driving to the clinic.

I think the way is to have more regulation on insurance.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page