opinions/advice on vaccinations for a baby who skipped most of her first year vaxes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My baby is  now 11mths!

She had a well visit at 2mths and received   the usual vax then.

I have finally scheduled another well visit for when she is almost 12mths (and thereby skipping the  up-to-12mth-mandatory heel prick that she didnt get at birth)

I would like  to hear different opinions as to which vaxes she should receive at her

12mth visit given that she hasnt received any other than the one babies get at 2mths.

The only thing i am sure of is that i will decline the mmr until they bring back monovalent vaxes, or she is of school age when it is required.

My almost 5yo will get his mmr at the same visit.

Thanks in advance

#2 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would look at the list and decide which diseases concern you most and start with those. Dtap is a good candidate. Then the various meningitis/pneumonia vaccines. Personally I would be cautious about doing more than 2-3 at once. Not because I think it makes reactions more or less likely, but because it makes it difficult to tell what a reaction was to if there is one.

What are your concerns about mmr?
#3 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
There are also some lifestyle considerations. I was on the fence about the HiB and Prevnar vaccines. I decided not to but probably would have chosen those if my kids were formula-fed and/or in daycare. Also, are you planning any overseas travel?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks for replies so far.

Some vaccines ( im not sure which) dont seem worth it if after the first year, since that is when the baby is most at risk. I am planning  to travel in the future, but probably not for at least 5 years, however, i do want the appropriate vaccines under my belt for all of my children in that event.

The baby is breastfed (my other  two weaned at 5 and 3 respectively), and i dont envisage putting her into daycare. She has been sick twice in the past year, had a minor cold at 2ish months, and caught the stomach bug that had been lurking in our family for over two weeks,   with each of us catching it twice, and  the baby only got it right at the end and was better in 12hours. (thats alot of vomit and diarrhea....i was amazed  it took her so long...i know yuk, sorry....)

MMR?  i delayed it with my other 2 because of the autism risk, had it separated for ds1, i'd rather stick to the same with this baby.(delay if it cant be separated)

#5 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

If you wish to minimise vaccines, you could do one shot of MMR when you think the time is right, and then have titres drawn to see if they need a second shot.  The second shot is only meant to catch the 5% of the population or so for whom the vaccine did not take the first time round.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 6 Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)

You could also compare the catchup schedule to the regular schedule. If your 5 yr olds hold off until 7 or so, the schedule becomes less onerous.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/0-18yrs-11x17-fold-pr.pdf

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page