Tetanus vax if you live on a farm - if so, which one? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two of my grown children had really high pain thresholds.  They'd get banged up and not even notice for hours.  I remember coming home one evening and my son had had an accident on his bike.  There was a long black scorch mark down his calf where the tire had burnt the skin off and taken out a chunk of flesh.  It had happened around lunchtime and he thought it was no big deal.  I almost threw up when I saw it. Ugh.  Parenting is not for sissies.

And yes, mamatoabirdie, I do appreciate a little validation.  smile.gif  Parenting is full of hard decisions and tough choices.  And very few moments where you feel like you're doing everything right.  Some days you question everything you "thought" you knew.  And I've been doing this for 37 years.  You'd think it would get easier, but it doesn't.  

#32 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really appreciate having a forum like this where I can come and hash this stuff out and hear opinions from both sides.  I really need to get input, both pro and con, and other peoples experiences and thought processes.  And hear from other people's research and read their links. 

When my first kids were small we didn't question vaxxing.  You just did what the doctor recommended.  Being educated and responsible is better, but harder.

#33 of 33 Old 06-15-2013, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog View Post

Quote:

Just to clarify.  I didn't say 29 kids a year get tetanus.  I said 29 people a year get tetanus.  And I don't want my kids to be one of THOSE 29.  Sorry that was confusing to you. smile.gif

It is fine.  I was simply pointing out the majority of people who get tetansu are not kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog View Post

Someone previously mentioned tetanus "floating around."  Where I live people have lost calves to tetanus.  When my milk cow had her first calf I wanted to do it naturally.  For the first year I raised calves I went against everyone's advice and didn't vax my calves before castrating.  Until I had a neighbor who lost some of his calves to tetanus because he didnt want to vax either. 

"Floating around" sounds much more benevolent than what it really is.  I vax my calves now, because I don't want them to die a horrible death like my neighbor had to watch with his calves.  So then I had to wrestle with "do I value my kids less than my calves?" 

I think I am the one that said "floating around." IIRC I said there was not much tetanus floating around (meaning not very many people get tetanus).  To me that does not imply benevolence.  Indeed, I would absolutely hate it if my kids got tetanus.  It has a 10% fatality rate (or thereabouts - although once again, it is more likely to be fatal in older folks) which is much, much higher than I am comfortable with and it is not a fun disease.  I do think tetanus is dangerous if you get it - but I am reassured by the fact so very few people get it.   If I was only going to the doctor for a shot, I would work out the odds of dying in a car accident on the way to and from the shots, sitting in a doctors office (with all those sick people) and the baseline, accepted risks of vaxxing (such as the 1 in a million anaphylaxis risk to most vaccines).  I think skipping the vaccine might be safer.    

I am pretty sure tetanus is way more common in calves than kids.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatoabirdie View Post

My eldest could have a gash in her leg and forget to tell me until hours later. I totally get not trusting simply cleaning the wound smile.gif

Yeah, some kids do have a high pain threshold or "do not care" attitude.  Some adults do as well.  It is probably a good idea for all of us to train our kids in proper wound management - as much for infection as anything else.

I don't think we can eradicate tetanus through wound cleaning. Some wounds will simply slip by. I think we can minimize tetanus risk through wound cleaning, but not eradicate it.   IIRC properly, something like 25% of tetanus does not come from wounds, but surgery, dental work, etc.  Tetanus is a bit of a mysterious disease.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page