Better to give vaccines more often or more at one time but less often. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So if we spread DDs vaccines out in your opinion is it better to give one vaccine a month for quite a few consecutive months in order to not overload her all at once. Or is it better to do a few at a time and then give her body a few months break? I feel like the former makes more sense but it is virtually 9 months of one shot a month and that seems like a lot too.

#2 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM

How old is she? What shots are you planning to give?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I think there is some research which shows it's less stressful for the child if they get multiple shots at once since then they're not constantly having to go in for shots. 

However if a reaction did occur (which is usually unlikely) it would be much harder to pinpoint what it was she was reacting too. So I can see the argument for spreading them out if you're concerned about that. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

@prosciencemum do you happen to have a link to that research? Or know where I could find it? Not that I doubt you I just want to make the best choice. My DD is 15 months we are going to wind up getting most of the vaccines recommended. Skipping a few but not many. But we are also creating our schedule for the next LO. We were initially planning on skipping all but have since done more research and changed our stance. We are also moving and switching doctors and the new doctors are less than willing to change the schedule so we are trying to have a schedule we feel comfortable with and they feel okay with hoping to find middle ground. Because they are good doctors. 

#5 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM

Sure. The reference is listed at the end of this leaflet from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia which address parental concerns that children get too many vaccines at once. 

http://www.chop.edu/export/download/pdfs/articles/vaccine-education-center/too-many-vaccines.pdf

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM

I don't know the answer to this but if its a matter of anxiety towards the shots, we have this buzzy4shots.com. My 3 yr old has no negative feelings towards getting a vaccination at all.
#7 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

I don't know the answer to this but if its a matter of anxiety towards the shots, we have this buzzy4shots.com. My 3 yr old has no negative feelings towards getting a vaccination at all.

That's really neat - thanks for sharing. Is it a bit like TENs? Because I used that for my second (natural) birth (until transition), and it was amazing. 

I imagine any kind of distraction helps as well. I always look away from shots. 

#8 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We did one at a time. Spread out by a month or so. I wasn't going to take a chance that their bodies would have a reaction and then me not knowing what they reacted to. They both had some minor reactions to vaccines and now I do know which ones caused those reactions. if you get a bunch at one time... how would you know?
#9 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 PM

I'm not entirely sure how a TENS machine works but the buzzy just vibrates. You put it on the injection site for a minute before the shot then move it a few inches away, still vibrating, while the child gets the shot. It takes away the startling sensation of the shot. My daughter doesn't even feel it.
#10 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM

TENS does it with some kind of small electrical signal, but it's the same kind of principle I think - that stimulating nerves in one part of the body can reduce the impression of pain from another.  

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page