The "my kid just had a shot" celebration thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

For those of us who do vaccinate, the vaccines can be fun milestones to count. I rest easier whenever my son has a vaccine.

So he just recently went in for his 12-month shots, which in Canada, is MMR, and the pneumoccocal and meningitis one. He was very chill, and I made funny faces and he laughed through the first and second one, then started crying by the third. I nursed him for comfort, and he pulled off and started making funny faces at the doctor and laughing. He really likes her, lol.

I had the baby acetominophen ready in case he didn't feel so good, but he seemed fine after.

Anyway, feel free to post when your child gets a vaccine and how they fared!

prosciencemum likes this.
#2 of 27 Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whenever my 14-month-old gets a vax, she's fine for a few hours afterwards, then snakes come out of her head ;) for an hour or two before bedtime, then she gets a REALLY good night's sleep that night. And she's fine again the next day.

Of course, we always try to get a copy of the vax's package insert, just in case...

#3 of 27 Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

For those of us who do vaccinate, the vaccines can be fun milestones to count. 

Anyway, feel free to post when your child gets a vaccine and how they fared!

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

You want us to post about how our children fared when they got vaccines, right?

Does that include those of us whose children had serious vaccine reactions (which is definitely a mildstone, though not a fun one), or do you only want to hear from people whose children had no discernable reactions?

jazzybaby9 likes this.
#4 of 27 Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I suppose all milestone-sharing is welcome, though I can't see why it would be much of a celebration if your kid gets sick...
#5 of 27 Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
As kids my mom always stopped for ice cream on the way home and we usually do the same. :-)
shanetedissac likes this.
#6 of 27 Old 02-01-2013, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Since 99.999% (double check how many 9s after decimal) of children have no serious reaction to vaccines this thread is likely to have hundreds of posts before encountering a story about reactions.

But maybe it would be more appropriate to call it "The my kid had a shot and no serious reaction thread" since that's really what we mean right. I think everyone would agree that's something to celebrate as every medical procedure does carry some risk, so we all get a bit anxious about those visits for shots (I know I do!).

My son is due for boosters in about 6 months, so I'll post next then. Not looking forward to this one - since he'll old enough to get pretty upset by the needle stick. greensad.gif

(Edited to add suggestion about changing thread name).

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#7 of 27 Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM

It would be nice to hear positive post vaccine stories, since its just the nature of things you mostly hear the other! It's like how when you're pregnant everyone wants to tell you their horrible birth story and it starts to seem like that's all there is! It's natural (I think) to feel some anxiety about giving your child a vaccine, no matter how strongly you believe they're safe, so it's nice to hear from other parents for whom it went smoothly.

My 19mo is up to date and vaccinated on schedule except for no hep b at birth and we delayed hep a from 12 mo to 18 mo visit. No serious reactions, although I do think they make her leg sore.
#8 of 27 Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I thought it might be nice for parents who are worried about vaccines to see lots of stories where nothing dramatic happens. :) Just like, while things can go wrong during birth, probably, they won't!

#9 of 27 Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we went in for chicken pox this morning! So far he seems fine.

Yay! It occurred to me while he was getting it that he'll be the first person in our family not to have to get chicken pox. So that is a nice thing.

#10 of 27 Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM

My son has had all his shots so far (except flu) and he was perfectly fine, didn't even flinch when the needles went in. I had a bottle of baby tylenol ready but he didn't have a fever, I haven't even cracked the bottle, it's probably gonna expire before I actually open it lol (knock on wood).

#11 of 27 Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm glad your daughter is healthy and that you're happy with your choices, but this is a subforum for parents who choose to vaccinate.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#12 of 27 Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Oops! The thread caught my eye in the main forum. Wasn't aware I wasn't allowed to post. Just thought I'd join the celebration... my apologies.

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#13 of 27 Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 AM

My two kids have never had a bad reaction to vaccines smile.gif we aren't vaccinating anymore for personal reasons, but none that have to do with my children sprouting 10 heads or anything like that smile.gif

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#14 of 27 Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM

We just started vaccinating.  I took my 9yo in and he received the 1st MMR. It pinched and he said it hurt, but also said it was not too bad.  I'm taking my two elders (12, 14) in this week for their 1st MMR.

Rrrrrachel and prosciencemum like this.

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

#15 of 27 Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! Glad it went well!
#16 of 27 Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my son is 18 months and that means DTAP-HiB-IPV. So we got that one this morning, and it went well! He nursed during the shot itself, and then popped off the breast to point at his leg and say, "Leg!" I said, "Oh dear, your leg hurts, doesn't it?" and he said, "Leg! Nurse!" The doctor was impressed with his verbal skills! He didn't really cry, but sometimes points his leg out to me and tells me it is hurt. I gave it some kisses and now he is asleep.

#17 of 27 Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good lord, Michelle, your baby knows a lot of words! Glad he isn't real bothered by the shots. My son's 2nd bday checkup is coming and it's the first one he's not getting any injections! However, I am planning on asking the NP to zap a couple of molluscum contagiosums that he's had for over a year, so it won't be completely ouch-free unfortunately. Poor baby. That's what nursing is for, though! Is there anything it can't soothe?

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#18 of 27 Old 06-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

Well, my son is 18 months and that means DTAP-HiB-IPV. So we got that one this morning, and it went well! He nursed during the shot itself, and then popped off the breast to point at his leg and say, "Leg!" I said, "Oh dear, your leg hurts, doesn't it?" and he said, "Leg! Nurse!" The doctor was impressed with his verbal skills! He didn't really cry, but sometimes points his leg out to me and tells me it is hurt. I gave it some kisses and now he is asleep.

Ah. That is sweet.

#19 of 27 Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My kids (6,4, 6months) are fully vaccinated on schedule and have never had a reaction of any type. Depending on age it is nursing and/or pirate booty or both immediately after the shots. The nappers tend to take longer naps on those days.

Most of our friends vaccinate fully on schedule or on a delayed schedule. I've never known anyone with a bad reaction.

#20 of 27 Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM

My 2-year-old is fully vaccinated and the hardest part for her is being poked and messed with wink1.gif She's never had a bad reaction, she always sleeps off any reaction she has and feels better the next day. Oh, but does she HATE being messed with! lol.gif I always hold her and say soothing things, but she is not happy and she lets everyone know that. She even hates getting weighed and measured because she associates it with getting poked and messed with. Oh well, what can you do, i'm just happy she hasnt had any bad reactions and over time she'll probably relax at the doctor's. We also always get ice cream afterwards
#21 of 27 Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Got the NHS letter asking us to book the standard UK pre-school boosters for our son (3.5 yrs - that's MMR, and DTaP/IPV boosters).

So we have an appointment - I made it for a Friday, because I think my older daughter did get a slight fever following this one and needed a day at home. I'll probably plan on taking pretty much the whole day off with him. 

Lucky my daughter is into books about the body, so we had one from the library about what skin is for and how the body fights off germs. That mentioned vaccination, so when we last read it at bedtime we talked a little bit (in appropriate language) about what vaccines are for and why we get them.

I find this set of shots hard as I feel he will be confused by why "Mummy is hurting me" when I take him in. So I'm trying to explain it, and I will be ready to give lots of cuddles and reassurance for afterwards.

As the UK does not recommend annual flu shots for healthy children - and both my kids are very healthy - this may be the last shot he gets for quite a while.  

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#22 of 27 Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimordialMind View Post

My 2-year-old is fully vaccinated and the hardest part for her is being poked and messed with wink1.gif She's never had a bad reaction, she always sleeps off any reaction she has and feels better the next day. Oh, but does she HATE being messed with! lol.gif I always hold her and say soothing things, but she is not happy and she lets everyone know that. She even hates getting weighed and measured because she associates it with getting poked and messed with. Oh well, what can you do, i'm just happy she hasnt had any bad reactions and over time she'll probably relax at the doctor's. We also always get ice cream afterwards

Have you thought about playing doctors at home - let her mess with you and give you "shots" and stuff. That might really help. I think this was the age my daughter would bring her doctors set to the doctors - they love it actually (both the doctor and the kid!), and it could help her to get use to "being messed with"... just an idea. :) 

#23 of 27 Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Well today was the day. He did great, and I was impressed with how the nurses dealt with it. They gave us a very clear sheet listing possible side effects to watch for (even recommended against using Tylenol unless in response to concern from a high fever). They called it "scratchy medicine" for his which I thought was cute, and gave him stickers and a certificate for being brave. In fact he barely cried, and was more focused on the cookie I brought along for him.

Never-the-less we had a mommy and me day, and lots of ice cream. He's gone to bed now - no evidence of any side effect at all yet.

I have to say I'm glad that one's over as I posted above. No matter how convinced I am over vaccines it still feels weird to go in an let stranger inject my child.

I thought they dealt with my obvious nerves from that well too - and the nurse reminded me that short of changes to the recommendations his next shot may be when he's 14 years old. smile.gif

#24 of 27 Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 AM

Okay , we did it , with all the moving and turmoil of these past few weeks/months , I FINALLY managed to get DD3 in to the peds for her overdue MMR shot before the new baby arrives . She didn´t even cry when they gave her the shot , brave girl and even a week later no adverse reaction ( not that I expected one anyway )

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#25 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Just an update that absolutely no reaction in the end. Not even a fever. And less than a week later even the tiny sore red spots at the site of injection have gone. So it's a relief to have that one over with. :)  

#26 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM

Just took Daughter in for her 2-year checkup (a little late, she turned 2 in June). I spaced her shots out; she would normally have been done by 18 months, I think. Today she got the last booster of each Hepatitis series, and now she is done up until the age of kindergarten shots (unless we decide to get the flu shot). It'll be nice to go a couple of years without her having to get stuck! She did great today. The nurses like to double-team her so she gets a shot in both legs simultaneously, so as soon as she yells it's basically over. She yelled for about two breaths, then was okay after that, and proceeded to placidly comment on this and that while chewing on her flavored tongue depressor. No sign of any reactions. She was overdue for a nap by the time we got home, napped for about an hour, and has been partaking in her normal activities since. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#27 of 27 Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM

I took my 2 year old for her first Dtap this week. She got Infanrix, as they were out of Daptacel. She cried for about 10 seconds after the shot. No reactions or side effects whatsoever. I was expecting redness, soreness, swelling, fever, fatigue...but nothing. :)

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page