Dosage question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

I got to thinking about how vaccine dosage goes for delayed kids who are much larger than the recommended age for a particular vaccine OR for vaccines that are given at intervals throughout development. 

Who knows about how this is determined? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think the doses are very specific in the way something like Tylenol is. I think there are broad categories (basically child and adult) and that's about it.
#3 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 AM

Actually many of them don't even have separate doses for children and adults, I guess.
http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p3085.pdf
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Great chart, Rrrrachael. Thanks for that!  It's hard for me to get my head around that the dosage is the same for an infant and and adult. What are your thoughts on that? 

#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It depends. E.g. HiB and Prevnar, if given after a certain time (15 and 18 months I think) only need one dose. Measles induced sufficient titers in 95% of all vaccinated people. So I would run a titer test instead of revaccinating.

Others technically require a basic 3 injection round to establish some immunity (DTaP, IPV, HepB) - but if you are like me and only interested in the T portion, if started after age 2, 2 shots usually induce high tetanus titers. After 2 years of age the child's immune system is quite mature and doesn't need a gazillion doses of repeated vaccines. I'm a big fan of titer tests - drawing blood hurts for a split second, lab personnel is quite nice and it's quick. No harm done in taking a little blood!

As to same dosage: it doesn't make sense to me. A child receives a lot more antigens/weight than an adult would. I know it is often justified with kids need more antigen in a vaccine to evoke sufficient antibody response. I never do flu shots but I think I read, and correct me if I'm wrong, if given at 6 and 7 months, they only give them half a vial each time.

#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM

It doesn't bother me. Vaccines aren't like drugs. They don't circulate through the blood stream the same way. The doses are very small to begin with.
#7 of 7 Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

I decided I wanted to see a bit more action on this subject so I posed another thread in D&D. http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1374518/help-me-understand-vaccine-dosage

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page