Starting vaccination at age two for a high exposure situation - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If you were to start vaccinations at two, what would you vaccinate for?
Hib 3 42.86%
Prevnar 3 42.86%
DTaP 7 100.00%
DT 2 28.57%
Polio 3 42.86%
MMR 6 85.71%
Varicella 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We will be traveling via air to Disney World for two weeks when DD is 2.5.  She is still breastfed, and probably still will be at that point.  Up until now, she has been unvaxed, and very healthy.  A couple of fevers and a tummy bug, but nothing major. 

My husband and I have been researching since she was born to see which vaccines had more of a benefit than a risk in our minds, and hadn't found one yet.  That said, we'll be taking her into a high exposure environment, and I'm wondering if *some* vaccinations might not be prudent. 

At this point we were leaning towards doing Hib and Prevnar to protect against those strains of meningitis.  I know it's rarER after 2, but again, high exposure environment.  That, and, meningitis is easily life threatening.  She would only need one of each at this point, and I have access to the aluminum free Hib. 

The other one we were considering was pertussis, but we are leaning toward no on that one.  Too many objectionable chemicals, too many required doses, and too low an efficacy rate to make it worthwhile, IMO.  Additionally, at 2.5, pertussis is no longer a real danger to my daughter, agreed? 

Just looking for some feedback from like minded mamas.  If you chose to vaccinate, starting at 2, what did you choose, and why?  Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
You might consider measles - more prevalent in Europe than the USA, and Europeans do like to visit Disney too. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 PM

I'd agree with you on the pertussis most likely not being a real threat to a healthy 2 yr old. We are on the same boat. DS is almost 2 1/2 and we thought we might start at 2,but we don't really see any clear choices. So for now we are staying put.
#4 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Check Hib to see if it's intended for kids older than 2. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 11:57 AM

lurk.gif

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#6 of 6 Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM

I might choose Prevnar. Still researching myself though.  I;m curious what you decided?

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page