Q about Dr Sears selective schedule and rotavirus - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-17-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! So I'm still debating between not vaxing our first child or doing selective vaccinations. I've been reading a bit online about Dr Sears selective vaccination schedule and I noticed that while he cut out many vaccines, rotavirus is still included. From my understanding, while rotavirus is very common (like the flu), it is very rarely fatal. Yes, the symptoms suck, but unless I am wrong, it seems to rarely cause lasting damage or death. I don't own The Vaccine Book -- does anyone have any insight into why this vaccine might be considered a higher priority to give and important to keep in a selective schedule? Thank you smile.gif
#2 of 7 Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM

I think it's only important if your child is in daycare, especially if not breastfed. But if you BF and stay at home, the risk of catching it and the immune system not fending it off is virtually nil.
#3 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM

My mother breastfed me to 6 months and I was never in day care. I got a stomach bug at age 2 and was so dehydrated I had to be hospitalized. Ultimately I was fine, obviously, but a vaccine might have spared me needing that treatment and my parents having to see their child in the hospital. (no, obviously I don't know if it really was rota or not. But rota causes this kind of illness, so the vaccine spares some families an episode like this even if my case wasn't one of them.) Just b/c the rate of death is low doesn't mean there aren't consequences from the disease. 

prosciencemum likes this.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#4 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

When she was about 13 months old, my daughter (fully vaccinated, but before rotavirus vaccine), who was still breast feeding a lot also ended up in hospital on IV fluids following a stomach bug (serious vomitting and diarrhoea). I would have liked to avoid that experience. 

Also I (and my husband) both got the bug afterwards, and that was pretty miserable too. Was not a nice couple of weeks in our household.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM

It's unlikely to be rotavirus if the parents had it too - most people catch the many different rota strains as children and develop immunity to them.

OP, we opted against it. The safety and side effects vs. severity of disease with access to a hospital did not convince us. Also, the vaccines are contaminated with pig virus despite the fact that no pig tissue is used in the processing, which is rather odd and concerning (pollution with animal virus and prions is a big beef for me and I think we as consumers need to demand better products from the industry). I think it was only Rotarix.

#6 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'd been meaning to reply to this because I have the book and can answer the OP's question directly.

Sears doesn't make his priority rationale clear, but his bottom line is that he recommends this vaccine because A. Rota is not treatable, (although you can shorten it with probiotics, lots of fluids, and (worst case), IV fluids, B. It's common C. hopes of vaccinating this disease out of the population.

On the other hand, fatalities (at least in the US) from rota are extremely rare, and breastfed babies not in daycare are low-risk. The disease is at highest risk in the first year.

He also says (and I definitely agree) that this vaccine is a good idea if you're traveling somewhere far from close and quality medical care.

Hope that helps!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#7 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 PM

I think rota also has one of the lowest risks of serious complications. So why it might seem "low reward" it's also pretty low risk.

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page