Who should post in Mindful Vaccination and I'm Not Vaccinating? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I have been reviewing things with our moderators here so that we can redefine our approach to handling the grey areas of the two vax support subforums. Due to the fair amount of violations that we were seeing in the forum against the guidelines that were posted, we asked that members who are not vaccinating should not post to the Mindful Vaccination forum and members who are vaccinating - either partially, delayed or completely on schedule - should not post to I'm Not Vaccinating. This would certainly make things much easier for us in moderating but it is clashing with what we have stated in our guidelines and raised some issues for those who may need to post for support and help in both forums from time to time. 

So, we'd like to once again clarify the guidelines for posting to the I'm Not Vaccinating and the Mindful Vaccination support forums and use this as our moderation basis:

I'm Not Vaccinating - This is a support-only forum for those not or those seriously considering not vaccinating. Here we host discussion of issues that arise when choosing to not vaccinate and sharing of resources and information that are related to the no-vax decision. Members who are vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

Mindful Vaccination -  This is a support-only forum for those who are vaccinating selectively, on a delayed schedule or fully vaccinating on schedule. Members who aren't vaccinating should not post here to debate or argue accuracy or opinion of things posted. 

Basically this means that if you are undecided, you could post to either forum to get support you need that would best come from those who are either not vaccinating or who are selectively, delayed or fully vaccinating. If you are a parent who chooses to vaccinate then your posts to the I'm Not Vaccinating forum should only be in clear support appropriate for that forum. It should not be to argue, disagree, question, or debate opinions or information posted in that forum. If you post to support a member it should be in line with the forum's purpose and not to further promote your pro-vaccination views. 

Likewise, if you are a parent who chooses to not vaccinate then your posts to the Mindful Vaccination forum should only be in clear support appropriate for that forum. It should not be to argue, disagree, question, or debate opinions or information posted in that forum. If you post to support a member it should be in line with the forum's purpose and not to further promote your anti-vaccination views. 

I hope this lays a clear foundation for everyone as posting members. If you have any questions feel free to ask. smile.gif

davisam likes this.

#2 of 9 Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Maybe it needs to be more clear or that it needs to pop up some how when you post to let you know who can and can not reply to you.

Recently I can think of two first time in this area posters that commented they did not know this even after they posted. Either lack of understanding or something? 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 9 Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

I'm not clear how much vaccine skepticism is allowed on this forum, if someone is asking a question about selective vax.  We could post in the debate forum and risk the question devolving into argument, or post here and risk not getting the information we need.  It seems like this forum is respectful towards selective vax, but I almost feel like the discussion is a bit constrained perhaps because folks not wanting to get too controversial in what is essentially a vax forum.  Maybe others don't get this impression like I do.  

I don't post here often, and if I do it is usually about health freedoms and not vaccinations specifically, but I am a vaccine skeptic who does not write off vaccinations as a whole.  How much of that is allowed here, if it's not coming from a non-vaxxer?  I know, "support", but where does information against getting a certain vaccine become a non-vax argument?  I'd like someone to help clarify that. 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 9 Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I am grateful to CM for clarifying some boundaries because for awhile it was feeling like I didn't belong to either sub- forum.

That said, due to the vast diversity of vax decisions represented in this forum, (everything from a single tetanus shot to full compliance with the Schedule), I wouldn't mind seeing some tighter standards enforcing the whole notion of *support.* Anybody posting with an underlying agenda should reconsider their keystrokes.
ian'smommaya likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 9 Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah it seems simple enough to me that folks should post a) to the sub forum that they conform to the spirit of more than the letter and b) in a way that is helpful and gives information rather than tries to convert. I've said in the past if someone posts in mv asking which brand of a vaccine has the least aluminum or something and someone like Kathy comes along an answers that, great. If someone posts in mv asking which vaccines they can safely skip or what age they should start their delayed schedule at, it's not appropriate for me to go on there and be super vocal about thinking all vaccines are fine and the regular schedule is fine. Even though I "belong" to this sub forum and Kathy doesn't, one of us would be posting in a helpful supportive way and the other would not.

I think of mv vax as a place I can sometimes post something and avoid the usual bickering with the usual posters, and instead discuss with somewhat like minded women.

If everybody acts like grown ups it doesn't have to be a big deal.
prosciencemum and kathymuggle like this.
#6 of 9 Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Anybody posting with an underlying agenda should reconsider their keystrokes.

I agree with that.
Turquesa likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 PM

Why call it 'mindful vax,' why not 'pro vax'?  It seems a little unclear and could be much clearer with a clearer name like 'vax happy' or 'vax friendly' or 'those who choose to vax for whatever reasons'

mindful vax just seems a little bit intentionally vague for a support forum with posts like "Doing the happy dance cause my kid got a shot today" (paraphrasing because I can't remember the exact title of the post)

I am a mom who has very selectedly vaxed and am still on the fence about how I feel about it even though my child is 5 and has had only a few jabs in her life.  But if this forum is going to be actively outright pro-vax then advertise that clearly because coming on to get some info I was certainly taken aback seeing some of the posts in this forum since the last time I was using the vax forums a few years ago.

iris777888 and Jennyanydots like this.
#8 of 9 Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 PM

There are a mix of people here. Some are more "pro vax" and some are more reluctant selective vaxxers. Different threads probably appeal to different people.
prosciencemum likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

There are a mix of people here. Some are more "pro vax" and some are more reluctant selective vaxxers. Different threads probably appeal to different people.

I agree.  I am a selective/delayed vaxxer, and I enjoy the support from others as we navigate the issue.  I do not celebrate every vax, so I skip the threads that do.  However, I also am glad that moms that choose to vax on schedule have a place that they can feel supported.  I would classify myself as pro-vax, but that the CDC guidelines do not work for me, since I am more interested in the individual health of my children than herd immunity.

Rrrrrachel likes this.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page