Why do you post to Mindful Vaccination (or the MDC Vaccination Boards at all)? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Cynthia Mosher has been very clear that she doesn't think a forum for people vaxing on or close to "schedule" is necessary or desirable.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#32 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I guess that makes sense if this board STAYS as selective, delayed, and full, but not if it's switched to just selective and delayed. 

#33 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperedmoth View Post
not if it's switched to just selective and delayed. 

This is, for better or worse, the proposed plan.  CM has stated that if anyone wants to discuss vaxing to schedule, she should do it in the debate forum.

#34 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM

What? Whyyyyyyyyyy??? Where was this plan proposed? Where are full vaxxers supposed to ask questions and advice and talk about helping kids through it and new vaccines coming out and changes to the schedule and all that without getting jumped on?
#35 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Here is the thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1388284/changes-to-the-vax-forums

and here is CM's stance:
Quote:
The Vaccinations Discussion forum will be the place for people who support fully vaccinating on schedule. Since the internet and the world in general is, on the whole, supportive of parents who vaccinate, we don't see the need for a support only forum.

#36 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
No. Unless I misread she said full vax discussions will go in the main discussion forum. Debate is a separate forum.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#37 of 38 Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM

When I decided to spread out my first baby's vaccines (the Dr. decided 1 month would suffice). I wanted to hear from the wise ones on MDC.. Posting here seemed very supportive since there were some suggesting Dr. Sears' Vaccine Book and most saying spacing was the least I should do. These posts probably helped me have enough spine to tell a Dr. Yes I know the recommendations, but this is what I am comfortable getting done today and I will make a future appointment for the next round. I also needed guidance when I was told if I wanted to delay varicella until age 4 I would no longer be welcomed as a patient.(!) The period between that and seeing a new Dr. got us off track for Dr Sears' schedule so I wasn't sure what that did for booster # and spacing. I'm not a regular here to educate someone on pros and cons of vaxs. I don't normally see too many vax threads in the new post feed to put my two cents or support in wink1.gif

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#38 of 38 Old 10-06-2013, 11:58 PM

I am coming back after a long break from MDC (no problems with MDC, just busy in life). When my first was born I was hesitant to vax based on fear I had heard about autism and preservatives. I had also been to India and seen some awful diseases like polio. I decided to vax on schedule. I deferred my decision to my doctor who was more of an expert on the subject than I was.I was confused about the pro/anti vax arguments. I felt the risks of my child getting a disease and dying or being damaged were greater than risks from vaccines. My second baby was born and was sick due to a rare GI disease and severe reflux. She was tube-fed until late Kindergarten. I delayed and spread out her vax because she always seemed to be sick and I didn't want to overload her system. We did catch her all the way up by school age.

Two years ago I finished nursing school and now work Step-down ICU (I also specialize in airways/lungs/heart monitoring) in a major peds hospital. I started out in ICU briefly. I have seen some awful cases of pertussis especially. I have seen some meningitis cases that left kids brain damaged for life or killed them. I have seen some other infections that could have possibly been prevented by effective vaccinations. I have also seen two children harmed by vaccines: one had a bad reaction and his brain swelled and he's now a quad with brain damage. I also had a patient with Giullainn-Barre who got it from a live vaccine. That patient survived but faced months of recovery. 

I still believe in vaccination giving the best chance. There is no 100% guarantee that it won't harm. There is also no chance that a non-vax child won't be harmed or killed-- or will infect an immune compromised person who will be harmed or killed. I do believe in the concept of a "healthy herd." 

And, I believe no one should make any parent vaccinate their child if they don't want to. So I guess that's why I was most attracted to this forum. I'm SO glad MDC decided to have different forums so parents can make informed choices and hear from other parents. I learned so much from MDC as a new mom on many issues that made me a better parent no matter which decision I ended up making. I feel that thanks to pro/con discussions my choices are more educated than when I had my first child and deferred to the doctor.

Rrrrrachel likes this.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page