MMR experiences or measles only - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1) At what ages did your kids get it?

2) What reactions ensued?

I had a bad reaction to the MMR at 24, but no issues with measles only at 12 months. I want to get the measles only (Rouvax) during our Europe trip this summer. But in case I encounter a measles outbreak I'd rather get the MMR last second, but that stuff naturally makes me extremely leery after my very painful reaction. So I'd like to see some experiences and ages. Thanks!

#2 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 AM

My son had MMR at 12 1/2 months. He had no reaction.  That said, he has not had a reaction to any of his vaccines.  Not even the common ones like fussiness or a fever so he may just not be sensitive.

I had MMR at 18 months and had a low grade fever according to my mother (I don't remember).  When I was 5 I got a booster and had no reaction.  When I was 18 I received a final booster and had a reaction in that the injection site bruised and was very painful (likely because I knew it was coming and tensed).

#3 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Bump for more? Btw I had intestinal cramps and weight loss that was linked directly to the vaccine (by a doctor). It lasted 6 months.

#4 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Both my kids got MMR around 12 months (first shot) with no reaction. They might have been a bit grumpy and tired after, but nothing which concerned me. They both breast fed through the experience which I'm sure help (both with comfort and boosting the immune system response).

Second had the booster around 3.5-4 with no reaction. Youngest will get his booster sometime later this year.

I'm sorry you had a reaction sounds nasty.

I work at a UK university, and we had several cases of mumps in students (born in mid 1990s) this term. So that made me glad my kids have had immunisation for both "Ms".

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
We do MMR at 2 years with a booster at 5. No reactions so far. I like to start later due to preliminary research that MMR is more effective after 12 mo., but I'd consider an earlier age in the event of an outbreak.

How old is your youngest?

I personally know families with histories of vax reactions foregoing those vaccines for their children, but I don't know if reactions are indeed hereditary.

I actually like to breastfeed after vaccination and not during it because I don't want any pain associated with nursing. But that is *totally* a preference call with no right or wrong answer!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 12 Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM

My daughter had mmr at 12 months with varicella. No reactions. I have heard its moderately more effective later, like at 18 months, but not so uch I was worried about it and I wanted to get it over with.
#7 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 AM

We had my daughter, aged 3 years and 3 months, given MMR and varicella in the same visit. (We're vaxing slowly and we started later). She had what our doctor called a "mild reaction" but one that left he more laid out than I have ever seen her in my life. She burned with fever for 3 days (which would start in the mid-afternoon) and that left her limp and listless. One of her eyes drooped and she then developed a major cough and cold that took a week to go away. And this is a kid that never gets sick. She has had a number of other vaxes, like Polio, HIB, Hep B and has never had a reaction to anything like this but her first dose of DtaP. In that case her doc thinks she had mild brain swelling because she screaming for 2 days straight afterwards and then also came down with a severe cold for a week. Second and third doses of Dtap (given over a year later) were fine with just some local injection site discomfort that was brief.

mama to Rassa, born 12/9/09
#8 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My son had MMR at 13 months and was just red around the injection site for a few hours.

But it looks like you want advice about getting it yourself? I had an MMR booster at the hospital last year after giving birth to my son (because my rubella immunity had worn off). I was fine and I'd get it again no problems. But we're talking about you. I'd be wary of getting it again if I had a reaction like yours. Why don't you try measles only and see if that sits better?

#9 of 12 Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

No it's just for my kids. I will never get the mmr again. It looks like we'll be able to make our Europe trip so it will only be measles vaccine. But I'm keeping mmr an option in case of a measles outbreak in my area. That's why I'd like to see all toddler ages and their reactions....
#10 of 12 Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

We ended up unhappily with mmr as we had little choice. I only worry about measles. Our Europe trip moved up, we're staying for over two months and will travel a lot...
Now DS as expected at his age tolerated it well. Dd being so awfully young had a fever for 2 days a week later, followed by a full facial rash and now 17 days later a swollen lymph node where her leg meets her torso. My md sister won't see us until 28 days have elapsed as she fears get infant might catch measles from my recently vaccinated kids, oh the irony (also not allowed if not vaccinated)....
How long will this hard lymph node last?
#11 of 12 Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

s
#12 of 12 Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Triple post

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page