How many DTaP doses are needed on delayed schedule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I delayed vax until my son was three.  He had his first DTap shot at three years, and another shot at his four year appointment.

According to our state schedule and the CDC schedule, if you start at birth, you need five doses of DTap.  Do you still need five doses if you wait to begin?

I have been searching and reading for literally two hours trying to find an answer to this question, anywhere and can't seem to find it.  Any help is much appreciated!!

Also, how many TOTAL Polio doses are needed if you wait until 3 years six months to start?

Thanks all.

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#2 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still confused, reading that the full schedule only requires four doses, and if you have three of four, you're fully vaccinated, but other stuff says you have to have four of five...

Jodi -full time working wife to a SAH Papa; mama to my boys Breck (12/04), David (09/07), and Elliot (01/10); always remembering our loss, Jordyn Justine (09/06)

#3 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Have you talked to your doctor about it? I'm sure they'd be happy to help you sort it out. I think I vaguely remember there's more than one brand/type of DTaP which might explain the difference... Hopefully some of the other very knowledgable mothers on this board can help more.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Why don't you run titer tests? It depends on the individual how many doses it takes to reach titer levels that are considered immune. What are you worrying about - D, T or aP? DS received one Daptacel at 2.5 years and one at 4.5 years. We will run titers at his 4 year appointment. It takes significantly less to reach good titers in non-infants. There even was a study, you'll have to look for it on pubmed that compared infants who received 2 vs 3 DTaPs (meaning before 12 months) and then a 3rd/4th dose at 18 months. Both groups had good titers. At any rate, I'll let you know by the end of August how it went.

Ipol I think suggests a 3 vaccine standard route at any age. Again, I'd rather run titers. I'm thinking of maybe getting each of the kids one polio shot now and another one in 6 months or so and then run titers (we might travel to China in 2014). Blood draws for titers are excellent tools, beware though not all insurances cover that.

Btw package insert here: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/vaccines/approvedproducts/ucm133479.pdf Decent immunity appears to show up after 2 doses. So before getting a third jab, I'd run titers. That's just me though :D

kathymuggle likes this.
#5 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I can't copy and paste, but look up the CDC's catch-up schedule. (That's exactly what any doctor you ask would do. smile.gif ) Make sure you adhere to the minimum time lapse between doses.

In a nutshell, if your child gets the fourth dose of DTaP after age 4, there's no need for a fifth dose. Easy-peasy. thumb.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 14 Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM

What does the school district require?  I noticed mine required 1 additional dose for a 4 year old vs a 6 year old.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#7 of 14 Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
On a catch-up schedule? headscratch.gif Not the answer you want to hear, but you'll have to call your school district, and they will probably ask you to call the health department.

Our state and school district just cafe that we're in line with the CDC's regular or catch-up schedules.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#8 of 14 Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM

If you have a philo exemption available, you don't need to have all the doses they require, just get enough for immunity. 4-5 doses of DTaP on a catch-up schedule is an awful lot.

Turquesa likes this.
#9 of 14 Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Per CDC guidelines you would need 4 total DTaP and 3 total IPV.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#10 of 14 Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM

I have found some doctors to be very helpful in sorting these kind of questions out and some to be totally un-knowledge-able about it so I don't think just asking your doctor would absolutely be the most informative route.

#11 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Great question! I often wondered why there is a need for SO many shots in a series! My DS has had 3 DTaP and I don't plan on giving anymore. Really, why is 5 needed?
#12 of 14 Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 AM

My doc told me yesterday that when a very young babe (2 months) gets a vax, their immune response is pretty weak, so they don't get full immunity, hence the boosters. My impression from her is that if you wait, a vax at say, 6 or 12 months will offer them more immunity. I guess it'd still be wise to titer to be sure.
#13 of 14 Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Interesting! Thanks for the reply!!!heartbeat.gif

#14 of 14 Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhammond View Post

Also, how many TOTAL Polio doses are needed if you wait until 3 years six months to start?

Thanks all.

From the CDC:

"The first and second doses of IPV are necessary to induce a primary immune response, and the third and fourth doses ensure "boosting" of antibody titers to high levels."

Based on that statement, I'd personally be comfortable with 2 doses.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page