chicken pox and the littlest ones - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi friends!
my 5 year old attends a homeschool program, and one of the moms brought her daughter to a chicken pox party yesterday.

i am cool with that regarding my 5 year old, but i also have a 5 month old. 

the pediatrician (who is OK with me not vaccinating) basically said 'it's a tough call' whether i should keep my 5 year old out of the program for the next 3 weeks, to avoid her exposure during the incubation period. 

since we just started the program AND i work from home, i can keep her home no problem. i dont want to because it's a lovely program, but 5 months old seems like it's very young to expose the littlest one. she is exclusively breastfed. 

any thoughts? 

#2 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
If you've had chicken pox (or the vaccine) your immunity should pass to your 5 month old while she continues to breast feed (this does not last after breast feeding ends). So I honestly wouldn't be too worried.

One your child's friend shows symptoms of chicken pox won't she have to stay home? In the UK routine varicella vaccination is not done, so chicken pox is still a fact of life for all young children. When they have it they are asked to stay home from school for 2 weeks to reduce transmission (my daughter has not had it, presumably because she had the first varicella vaccination in the us right before we moved).

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I just realised you posted as well in not vaccinating.  I moved my response over there.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just to add some personal experience on the exposure of a BF little one whose mother has had chickenpox: My daughter comes to work with me and the owner of our company had an outbreak of shingles when my LO was around 4 months. Granted, it was limited exposure, but DD had daily exposure during the outbreak. No chickenpox here yet. Of course, if your older child was to come down with chickenpox, this would be a greater exposure for your little one, but I'd also hope that the parent whose child was taken to the pox party will be closely watching her child for signs of illness (fever, etc.) which would come on if this child actually has the illness and could transmit it to others. Personally I'd see it as an acceptable level of risk. By the time we realized my daughter had been exposed to shingles, the owner of our company was already past the contagious stage anyway, but she was very careful to let us know so that we could be sure to keep an eye on DD for any signs of the illness.

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page