I've been worrying myself sick his entire life. he's hat 2 dtap and 1 hib, i'd like to get 1 more dtap and mmr and varicella. I'd like to just do all three at once instead of prolonging my worry of both getting the vaccine and getting the disease! chicken pox isnt too scary but i've had mother friends not vaccinate against it and say they wish they had gone ahead. is it too much to do those three together?
It's probably fine to do them together, but if you're worried, there's no reason NOT to spread them out a little. Have you asked your health care provider?
At what age did he get dtap? Immunity after two doses is common especially if given later and not in infancy. I personally wouldn't give them together. My son has had 2 dtaps and I will probably go with another one right before Kindergarten (so in August). I'm currently torn between MMR in May or measles only in June in Europe. I'm not worried about mumps nor rubella, just measles. Since we are traveling to Europe and there are several real outbreaks (aka not just 3 people, we're talking hundreds and thousands even in some countries) it is a hard decision for us (I reacted negatively to MMR, and I do have moral concerns about the use of aborted fetal lung tissue as culture medium, especially since it is unnecessary - see Japan for morally okay MMR).
In a nutshell, I would do them apart. MMR requires a wait time of 4 weeks for other vaccines if not administered at the same time. If you must do varicella, do not opt for MMRV for its way higher reactiveness. I personally won't vaccinate against varicella. Maybe in the teenage years and only if they refine the vaccine. I have had it 4 times and have no antibodies whatsoever. It doesn't work well. At least not for me. So if you want all three, I'd spread them out over 3 months. Start with the one you worry most and then work your way down.
I spread out my DS's 4 year vaxes. At the 3rd visit, he asked the doctor if he could get all the shots (and the lollipops) at one time so he did not have to come back. If I had it to do over, I probably would have done 2 at a time, with a longer space between them. Now since DD is at risk for seizures with any fever (she has epilepsy), she will get them one at a time, in order of priority, with at least a month in between vaxes.