IPV and varicella - skip the last dose? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I adopted my son when he was 3.  He had already had a full schedule of vaxes.  He's 5 now and will be starting school in August, so I asked the nurse which shots he would need for school.  I had already decided to do the Dtap and had decided on Daptacel.  I thought I would probably do MMR but skip all the hib, chicken pox, hep, and polio.

But according to the nurse all he needs to be fully vaccinated is Kinrix (which is Dtap plus IPV) and Proquad (which is MMR plus chicken pox.)  He's already had all the others.  So I'm wondering if it's really worth it to go through the whole exemption process and yapping with the ped staff, just to avoid this last booster of IPV and chicken pox? 

And do I want to avoid the last dose of varicella?  Since everybody is getting vaxxed for it, it seems like it's hard to find anyone to "share" chicken pox the old fashioned way. 

Is Kinrix any worse than Daptacel? and is Proquad any worse than MMR?  The main thing I'm concerned about is aluminum. and then the formaldehyde... 

Thanks for any input.

#2 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I compared the ingredients in Kinrix and Daptacel.  Kinrix has twice the aluminum and much more formaldahyde.  Is there a stand alone IPV that is relatively benign?  Or is there a Dtap with polio that's better than Kinrix?

On the one hand I think what's one more shot?  He's already done all the required shots, what's one more?  On the other hand, how much more can his immune system take before it's too much?  I don't know.

Sheesh, it seems dumb to file an exemption just because of one or two missed shots.  On the other hand...

#3 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog View Post

I compared the ingredients in Kinrix and Daptacel.  Kinrix has twice the aluminum and much more formaldahyde.  Is there a stand alone IPV that is relatively benign?  Or is there a Dtap with polio that's better than Kinrix?

On the one hand I think what's one more shot?  He's already done all the required shots, what's one more?  On the other hand, how much more can his immune system take before it's too much?  I don't know.

Sheesh, it seems dumb to file an exemption just because of one or two missed shots.  On the other hand...

He's so close, get them! I'd like to mention that concerns about formaldehyde and aluminum in vaccines are overblown. They are safe in the amounts that they are present in vaccines. We are exposed to much more aluminum in our food and water than in vaccines, and aluminum in the blood is filtered out by the kidneys without difficulty. Formaldehyde is actually produced by our bodies constantly during basic life processes. The amount present in the body is dozens of times larger than what you will find in vaccines. Formaldehyde is more risky in large amounts or when inhaled, not in the amounts/form in vaccines.

#4 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

How about getting titers done to see if he's immune already cuz of previous vaccines? That way, if his titers are high, no more need for more boosters. 

applejuice likes this.
#5 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)

MMRV (MMR plus varicella),  whic proquad is,   has a higher seizure rate than MMR and V separately.  

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/mmrv/studies.html

Mirzam likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 11 Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kathy.  I pulled up the school requirements for my state.  According to the NC website they only require 1 dose of varicella. (unless it's recently changed.)  He's already had one dose.  Apparently I didn't make it clear to the nurse, I'm not interested in doing everything they recommend.  I'm only doing the minimum required.  So I can skip the varicella and just get MMR. 

From what I've read - titers only measure exposure, not immunity.  Is that right?  And even so, if a test shows high titers I'd still need to either immunize or do an exemption?

At this point I'm looked at doing Daptacel + IPOV instead of Kinrix.  If I can get it.  My pediatric office is very pro vax and wants to do the Proquad.  I'm going to try going to the health dept and bypass the peds. I also think I'll get less flack there when I insist on seeing the vial they draw from.

If I'd had him from the beginning I probably would have not vaxxed at all until he was a preschooler.  And then, only a select few.  But since he's already had everything in the book, except these last 2, I think I may as well finish them and be done with it. 

What do you think of Daptacel + IPOV versus Kinrix?

applejuice likes this.
#7 of 11 Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

Antibody titer is a laboratory test that measures the level of antibodies in a blood sample.

The antibody level in the blood tells your doctor whether or not you have been exposed to an antigen or something that the body thinks is foreign. The body uses antibodies to attack and remove foreign substances.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003333.htm

so, technically, a titer test should suffice for proof of antibodies to said disease.  If his antibody sample is showing 95% antibodies to Polio, he wouldnt' need another polio, theoretically. 

applejuice likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I just want to put out a not that not all titers will always come up positive, and that is why they are not frequently checked.  titers for hepatitis B and polio are unreliable, it is actually recommended not to check the titers unless you have received a booster within 6 weeks.  Titers for varicella Antibodies are very accurate, although I do not know how they look with only one vax.  Also, be aware that titers can change, so having immunity now, does not guarantee lifelong immunity.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#9 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 PM

The second MMR is not actually a booster. The purpose of it is to catch the 2% to 5% of children who don't respond to the first shot.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/documents/antibody_titer_law.pdf

North Carolina only requires one dose of chickenpox for school, and one dose of rubella. So if you decided to get titers checked, you would only have to get them checked for measles and mumps. If the titers came back positive, which there is a 95-98% chance that they will, that meets the requirements. You could avoid the 2nd MMR, and you wouldn't need an exemption.

"http://www.immunize.nc.gov/schools/kindergarten.htm

"an individual who has documented laboratory results of a protective antibody titer against measles is not required to receive vaccine."

"A physician's diagnosis is not acceptable for mumps disease(s). The person must be immunized or have documented laboratory results of a protective antibody titer against the specific disease."

If you want to make sure your son has strong immunity to chickenpox, and you want to stick to just the required vaccines doses, then you can keep your eye out for chickenpox parties. There are ways to find them, such as Yahoo Groups, and sometimes they are announced on the Mothering.com forums.

#10 of 11 Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog View Post

Here's a list of all the vaccines licensed in the United States.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm093833.htm

If you click through several times for each one, you will get to its package insert. There are some vaccines on that list that are licensed, but no longer available. For those, it says they are not available, and you can't click on them.

There is only one available polio-only vaccine, the monkey kidney cell IPOL, by Sanofi Pasteur.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM133479.pdf

Kinrix is the only diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis-polio vaccine.

Keep in mind that kindergarten admission is not the end to school vaccine requirements. Most likely, more vaccines will be added to the requirements, and currently, North Carolina requires Tdap for 6th grade. So if you decide to allow additional vaccines such as polio just so you don't need to get an exemption, do that with the knowledge that in the future, you will either need to give more vaccines, or get an exemption at that point.

#11 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM

I too recommend titers for mumps and measles. As for dtap and polio go get daptacel and ipol (the single polio one). I wouldn't touch mmrv nor kinrix. I think two shots with less crap combined is much better than a single shot with more crap. The injection only hurts for very little time, but a lot more aluminum is rather questionable.

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page