Getting vaccinated as an adult, any advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am 27 years old and have not been vaccinated... yet.  I was recently accepted into nursing school and was told that I would be restricted from clinicals if I do not get vaccinated.  I can't become a nurse without clinicals, so although they won't kick me out of the program for not vaccinating, I basically have no choice but to do so if I want to become a nurse. 

I had chickenpox as a child and I went just today to get a titer to prove my immunity. 

I guess I am wondering what I should expect... it was my mother who did all the research and decided not to vaccinate me.  I am not completely uneducated about it, but I don't know everything.  Which ingredients are the problem ones?  I know about Aluminum and Mercury, are there others?  And if a vaccine has an ingredient I don't want can I opt for another version?  I'm actually pretty scared of having a reaction and developing asthma or worse.... Also, would it be worth it to get titers for diseases I have not had?

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Have you checked on the possibility of getting a religious exemption?

If there is absolutely no way to get out of the requirements, then do whatever you can to minimize the vaccines that you get. That's good you got a titer test for chickenpox. It can also be done for measles, mumps, and rubella. If they say you need the MMR, find out if all three of the diseases are required--measles, mumps, rubella, or perhaps just one or two of the three. Then, you would only need titers for those.

For some of the diseases, waivers are often offered, such as for hepatitis B. You would have to sign that you accept the risk of not getting the vaccine. 

So, with a combination fo finding out exactly what is required, what you can get titers for, and what you can opt-out of, you can hopefully cut down on the vaccines needed.

You can compare the package inserts for each vaccine brand.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm093833.htm

applejuice and mangopixie like this.
#3 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Many health care providers will eventually get a needlestick. It's nice, to put it lightly, not to worry about hep b if it happens to you. HIV is plenty!

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#4 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Many health care providers will eventually get a needlestick. It's nice, to put it lightly, not to worry about hep b if it happens to you. HIV is plenty!

If you do decide to get the hepatitis B vaccine even if it is not required, you could choose to just get one or two doses, instead of all three. You can get a titer test for hepatitis B.

#5 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses.  I have looked into the religious exemption.  The nursing program will accept it but I am told that it will limit my clinical opportunities.  They were vague when they told me that though.  I asked for specifics and I am waiting on the reply, but I'm preparing myself mentally for the vaccines.  Honestly I have been on the fence about getting them recently and I understand that it would be nice to be immune to those things if I am working in a hospital.  I also understand that some patients would be uncomfortable if they knew I was unvaccinated.  I am afraid of the heavy metals though... 

applejuice likes this.
#6 of 16 Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
There is no need to be afraid of heavy metals from vaccines. The quantities are absolutely tiny - way way less than you will have inhaled or ingested in your life so far.

Mercury (thimerosol) is only in multi vial flu shots so can easily be avoided if you want.

You're about to go into training as a nurse. Why not get a text book on the immune system which would I expect cover vaccines and do a bit of reading. It might help you feel better. Or coursera has a (free) online course on vaccines about to start.

Online, don't just research on non-vax sites, also read the mainstream information and see both sides of the story.

Good luck - I hope it all goes fine (both the shots and the training).

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#7 of 16 Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

There is no need to be afraid of heavy metals from vaccines. The quantities are absolutely tiny - way way less than you will have inhaled or ingested in your life so far.

She has never been vaccinated, so I very much doubt she has ever been injected with aluminum. The body does process things differently, depending on whether they are inhaled, ingested, or injected.

#8 of 16 Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)

I do not want to debate the differences and similarities of ingestion, injection and inhalation, and the vastly different quantities involved here. This is the support board, and mangopixie was looking for support for her decision to start vaccinating as an adult so she can train as a nurse. 

If you want to discuss the science of ingestion, inhalation and injection and how bodies deal with different quantities of elements and chemicals being introduced to them through different routes that could be an interesting thread on the main debate board - although I think we've been round it before. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#9 of 16 Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Maybe consult a homeopath or naturpath about detox after vaccines...also, a good health food store may be able to offer some assistance as well.  

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 16 Old 07-25-2013, 12:51 PM

My friend was in this situation & she really had to get very few shots to be considered compliant.

And another vote for absolutely try to minimize exposure to Mercury & Aluminum. Understanding Vax ingredients & Brands couldn't be a better preparation for a nursing career.

This can be done by reading the package inserts & in some cases, requesting the pediatric versions (which are generally Thimerosal free). I did this with HepB once upon a time.
#11 of 16 Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

. This is the support board,

Prosciencemum is correct.

This forum is for SUPPORT. Not a debate. Every one can post as long as the post stays supportive of the OP.

Thanks ladies!

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#12 of 16 Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 PM

If you have time to separate them out on different days you will more likely be able to figure out which vaccines you have a reaction to, if any.
I have had the chicken pox vaccine as an adult with no problem and DPT which hurt my arm for days.
I'm glad to see your post, I had never thought about how our choice to not vaccinate our son will affect his future.
Congrats on getting in to nursing school!
#13 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone!  I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but I am now almost done with my vaccinations!  I wanted to share a kind of annoying thing that happened today and ask about your opinions of titers.

Today I went in for my second MMR shot and as the receptionist was doing her thing, I asked about the scheduling for Hepatitis B.  It is a three shot series and I had my first on on the 5th of this month so I was asking about when I should get the second one.  Anyway I guess I shouldn't have been distracting her because even though she told me that I would have to wait until at least October 3rd to get my second Hep B shot, she wrote on my chart that I was getting it today instead of MMR!  So the nurse gives me a shot and tells me when to come back for the third one and I'm like "Wait did you just give me Hep B???"

So he gave me MMR for free and scolded the receptionist and told me that this shot doesn't count because it needs to be at least four weeks after the first one.  So I still need to come back after October 3rd to get the second in the series.  I will end up getting four Hep B shots total.  I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get a titer to see if I'm immune yet and maybe I can be done!  What do you think?

#14 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Titers are always a good idea. It's too late for MMR, but chances were extremely high that you were immune after one dose for all three MMR components. You can run a HepB titer test in 4 weeks to see what's up. I know my family doesn't do well with it (aka low titers) and I don't need it so I gave up after 4 shots, but my MD sister repeats them every 5 years (I didn't look into it further, but some people say a low titer is ok because of memory cells - if someone could chime in, no idea how valid that is).

Also polio - 2 shots of IPV already induce insanely high titers. Good luck!

#15 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 PM

You should have 4 weeks in between doses of Hep B, per the CDC guidelines, so although you received this one too early, you should get the next one 4 weeks from the most recent Hep B and it will count as dose #2.  Hep B vaxes have notoriously low titers early on in the process.  In my personal experience (as an RN), many nurses that stay in the hospital setting have a needlestick injury during their career.  I would recommend completing the doses in the series (even though you get an extra).  Let this also be your reminder, as a nurse you are responsible for every medication you give, the person administering the vax should have verified that he was giving the right med to the right patient.

mangopixie likes this.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#16 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post

You should have 4 weeks in between doses of Hep B, per the CDC guidelines, so although you received this one too early, you should get the next one 4 weeks from the most recent Hep B and it will count as dose #2.  Hep B vaxes have notoriously low titers early on in the process.  In my personal experience (as an RN), many nurses that stay in the hospital setting have a needlestick injury during their career.  I would recommend completing the doses in the series (even though you get an extra).  Let this also be your reminder, as a nurse you are responsible for every medication you give, the person administering the vax should have verified that he was giving the right med to the right patient.

Are you saying that I should wait 4 weeks from today to get Hep B #2?  They were making it sound like I should come in four weeks from the first dose.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page