Unvaccinated child in daycare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our doctor (naturopath) has recommended that we delay vaccines until after 2 years of age due to some allergy concerns in my 5 month old daughter. She is going to a group daycare with various classes of kids up to 3 years of age. So she has had no vaccine shots. Should I be concerned? She is our first child and I can't help but worry and i am finding so much conflicting information on this issue. I am concerned about "shedding" from vaccinated kids and also the fact that it is a fairly large daycare... Unfortunately, we are very limited in the options for daycare, as I had to choose a facility near my work. She is exclusively breastfed currently. Would like to hear what others would do in this situation, thank you for any input you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My younger son is completely unvaccinated and has been in public school for 6+ years. The only "diseases" he's ever had besides the common cold are Fifth disease and one of the hand, foot, and mouth viruses.

He nursed for five years and we restrict sugar and junk foods. I never use antibacterial cleaners at home. I'm not the last bit worried about my vaccine choices.

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Well, I WOULD worry, but I'm a full vaccinator. Hard to know without knowing the whole medical situation, really. I feel like the big ones are MMR and DTaP, because those cover the most common illnesses of childhood. Could you go back and ask about starting some of them, just holding off on whatever it is that has what you think she's allergic to? Or have her skin-tested for allergies, so you know for certain?
#4 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)

I would also worry if I'm honest. 5 months old is awful young to be exposed to kids up to 3 and all the potential germs they carry around. Probably it'll be fine of course, but I personally would feel terrible if it wasn't because my child was not vaccinated..... 

I think pertussis would be my main concern - MMR comes much later in the recommended schedule anyway. Pertussis in young babies can be serious, and while the vaccine isn't 100% protection it does lower the risk enough to be worth doing in my opinion.

But as pepperedmoth said we don't know the full story. Some children cannot be vaccinated, and there you just have to trust to enough immunity in the kids around your daughter to prevent the diseases spreading to her. 

Just a final comment that shedding from other kids vaccines is extremely rare as to be something you really shouldn't worry about (only relevant for live virus like chicken pox anyway). 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for sharing your opinions - this gives me some points to discuss with her doctor. The suspected allergies are food-related; we don't suspect an allergy to the actual vaccines. The reasoning was that she may have a weak immune system (as evidenced by her food allergies), which may be an indication that she would not react well to the vaccines. But I will follow-up with her doctor, to make sure we are fully weighing the risks of exposure at daycare.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page