Pertussis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our son who is almost 5 months old has what we believe to be pertussis. It stated about a week ago as a slight cough and a weepy eye. Well as the week went on his cough became worse and during the night it has been horrible. It sounds just like the pertussis cough that we found online. We took him to our Ped dr after a week from the start of symptoms and she ordered a chest xray and swabbed for pertussis. We have not got a result back on the pertussis swab but we did get the xrays back and he already has mild pneumonia. WE are very scared..... They started him on a antibiotic azrithomycin. We have researched online for alternatives to treating the pertussis. I found serveral people mentioning the high dose vitamin C. We have several concerns and questions about this and was hoping someome would be willing to help us with some advise.
#2 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstokes191 View Post

Our son who is almost 5 months old has what we believe to be pertussis. It stated about a week ago as a slight cough and a weepy eye. Well as the week went on his cough became worse and during the night it has been horrible. It sounds just like the pertussis cough that we found online. We took him to our Ped dr after a week from the start of symptoms and she ordered a chest xray and swabbed for pertussis. We have not got a result back on the pertussis swab but we did get the xrays back and he already has mild pneumonia. WE are very scared..... They started him on a antibiotic azrithomycin. We have researched online for alternatives to treating the pertussis. I found serveral people mentioning the high dose vitamin C. We have several concerns and questions about this and was hoping someome would be willing to help us with some advise.

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. WC can be really scary, especially for those under 6 months.

Here's what I found from university of Maryland medical system website

" Complementary and Alternative Therapies
Someone with whooping cough needs antibiotics. Do not use herbs and supplements alone, especially for children. Supplements, herbs, and homeopathy may help you get better faster when used along with conventional medications. Always talk with your doctor if you are using alternative therapies in addition to medication.

"...herbs have been used traditionally to treat coughs and strengthen the immune system. All have side effects and can interact with other medications, so it's crucial to talk to your doctor or your pediatrician before using any of these herbs. Your doctor can help you find out if these herbs would help you or your child, and can help you determine the right dose."

I know vitamin C isn't an herb, but you said you were looking at other possible treatments so I thought I'd add that.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/pertussis

The site has dosage recommendations for different supplements, but ask your doctor first.

I would say that, if your doctor approves, to do vitamin C supplements along with the antibiotics. I would under no circumstances stop the antibiotics, pertussis can be very serious to babies under 6 months.

As the part I posted stated, some herbs can interact with certain medications so it is very important you ask your doctor about any possible reactions and about dosages.

Hope he feels better!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#3 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

The high-dose vitamin C protocol is "to bowel tolerance".  I would personally be hesitant to make an already-uncomfortable child more uncomfortable by testing his bowel tolerance.  As already advised, please discuss any complementary therapies with your doctor.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#4 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

The high-dose vitamin C protocol is "to bowel tolerance".  I would personally be hesitant to make an already-uncomfortable child more uncomfortable by testing his bowel tolerance.  

Bowel tolerance in this case means as much as can be taken without the stools becoming loose. Loose stools from too much sodium ascorbate does not cause discomfort.

#5 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Loose stools from too much sodium ascorbate does not cause discomfort.

Untrue. Source- first hand experience.

chickabiddy likes this.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#6 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Bowel tolerance in this case means as much as can be taken without the stools becoming loose. Loose stools from too much sodium ascorbate does not cause discomfort.

I would be concerned that such a young baby could easily become dehydrated from diarrhea when already sick.
chickabiddy likes this.
#7 of 11 Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

I would be concerned that such a young baby could easily become dehydrated from diarrhea when already sick.

At the first sign of loose stool, the dose of sodium ascorbate is reduced, and the loose stool goes away.

#8 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.  He seems to be doing ok.  He was confirmed positive for pertussis(whooping cough).  His cough over the last 4 days since he has been on antibiotics seems to be less harsh and violent and less frequently.   He cough is also becoming drier- which I don't know if it is a good or bad sign. We are giving him doses of vitamin C but not mega doses.  It does seem to upset his stomach(no loose stools but discomfort) As far as his pneumonia....  A friend of mine is a respiratory therapist and has stopped by daily to check his lungs.  She has said that they sound clear every time which is a good thing.  The pediatrician also listened to his lungs on Friday and said she could lo longer hear the wheezing.  We have a follow up appt on Thursday this week with the DR. We hope and pray that everything will continue to progress in a positive.  Other that this horrible cough he seems very happy.  He is eating great and sleeping well and doing things normally as he should.  Again I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. I have read that whooping cough can last up to 3 months.  Would it be crazy to think that this could resolve a lot quicker than that.

Thanks again

#9 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
So sorry you have to go through this. Must be horrible to see your son in discomfort. I'll keep my fingers crossed it passes quickly.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#10 of 11 Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Poor baby! Glad to hear he is still eating and sleeping well.

#11 of 11 Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to let everyone know that my son has made a full recovery from his bout of whooping cough.  He came through it with flying colors.  We did supplement anti-biotics with the vitamin C.  So I believe that made a big difference in his recovery.  Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jason

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page