Pregnancy/post-partum vaccination recommendations - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What would your choices, as a mother, be regarding personal immunizations during/after pregnancy?
TDaP as recommended, varicella post-partum. 1 16.67%
Only TDaP. 0 0%
Only post-partum varicella. 0 0%
Only post-partum vaccinations, none during pregnancy. Get both TDaP and varicella after the birth. 1 16.67%
No TDaP or varicella vaccinations. 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On the notes from my most recent pre-natal visit, I noticed that it is being recommended that I receive a TDaP between 27 and 36 weeks. We have given selective immunizations for our daughter, and the DTaP has been one that she is receiving, so at first I thought, “No big deal,” although I then began to second-guess any immunization during pregnancy. Also, I thought it would be great to have the pertussis protection myself when my little one arrived, as I did not get the booster when TTC #1 or during my previous pregnancy (and apparently this recommendation just began in 2012, therefore, late in my 1st pregnancy or right after my delivery, which I was going through with a pretty non-interventional/non-medical midwife).

So, I hit the internet and did the research. And even the official CDC page says that while the TDaP is recommended for all pregnant women (even those who have a current immunization) because of the provided immunity for newborns through the placenta and breastfeeding before the first recommended DTaP at 2 months, research also indicates that the previous exposure to the antibodies may make the DTaP less effective in infants.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/tdap-pregnancy-hcp.htm

So, I worry that by providing a little early boost, I may be hindering the actual immunization process for my baby as he is older and actually more subject to exposure.

Any suggestions?

Additionally, I was told at today’s visit that I am varicella non-immune, according to my titers, despite having chickenpox as a child (Thanks updated immunization protocols!). I have just viewed my detailed lab results, and although my paperwork says “non-immune” with a vaccination recommended post-partum, the actual lab results show me on the upper end of the “inconclusive” scale, closer to the levels that indicate immunity than to the levels that indicate non-immunity.

We are choosing NOT to vaccinate our DD against chickenpox, in favor of her getting the disease in early childhood and getting a better, more reliable immunity. And while I obviously didn’t have any intention of actively trying to find a “pox party” for her while I was pregnant or while DS is still an infant, I had relied on my immunity to transfer to him in the event that she might happen to get chickenpox from random exposure. Any recommendations on the PP varicella, as well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-17-2013, 04:00 PM

It's a personal decision. I personally opt for no vaccines in pregnancy. I haven't had the TDaP as I had a DT in 2006 and I'll run T titers in 2016 to see if I even need a booster. IF yes, then fine, I'll do TDaP instead of DT, but I won't be getting any T containing vaccine before 10 years after the last booster.

As for chickenpox, I never had it as kid despite multiple exposures. I have had the vaccine 4 times long before pregnancies. No antibodies, not even a single one. (I once had a reading after DS that said immune but it turned out later it was a lab mistake.) So I do not believe in this vaccine for my children nor me ever again. I'm not concerned about chickenpox in childhood, but in adulthood/teenage years (hence I got vaccinated - to no avail).

#3 of 4 Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Nia, my thoughts exactly on not fearing chickenpox in childhood but in adulthood. Hence, I still would choose not to vax the children against chickenpox, though that might change once they hit puberty if they still haven't had it. DD and I were mildly exposed to shingles when she was about 4 months old (the owner of our company had it, but as soon as she began running fever/feeling ill beforehand she limited any contact with us - DD comes to work with me). So I really kind of expected that my previous immunity protected both of us, as I was breastfeeding.

But, since the plan is to allow the children an opportunity for actual exposure, I would definitely not want to find myself fighting chickenpox right along with them, or worse, to get shingles because I had already had the chickenpox. Additionally, I'm concerned that since the vax can cause a mild case of the disease, that I could actually end up with shingles from it since I have already had the chickenpox. And looking at the actual lab results, I see that rather than being in the full non-immune category, I'm actually in the gray area between.

#4 of 4 Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 PM

I am really surprised that they titer'ed you for Varicella in pregnancy. This is the first I have heard of it being standard, as far as I have heard in recent years, it is standard to get TdaP & Flu in pregnancy or TdaP after, and MMR if not immune to rubella right after delivery. Is it possible that another vax has been added to the pregnancy/postpartum series?

Tags
Selective Vaccination

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page