I think maybe part of why you were approached the way you were is because you're not sure. I think doctors kind of seize on that - for good or for bad. On the one hand, if they think you aren't sure, maybe their advice can be taken as just trying to inform, yk? I think I come off as pretty confident to doctors and get very little slack, especially the second go round. Full disclosure, I'm delayed/selective but I did take DC to the ER for a puncture wound before she had any immunizations and wasn't given a hard time at all. No lecture whatsoever. The only advice I got was to consult my DC's pediatrician if I was concerned.
If you're still searching, the site I found most informative was the WHO delayed schedule. I just went down the list and weeded out first the things that weren't deadly. Then I went down and weeded out the things that my DC was too old for. At that point, you're dealing with a much less daunting number of vaccinations to research.
This would be handy info in general. Of course not vaccinating doesn't mean you have to be an experts on vaccines...but I do think it probably helps to know your stuff if you keep having run-ins with doctors.
Troll? Here's me...
Doc was a man. And I may have come off unsure.. But I did so purposefully hoping to avoid a hostile response which I found I was getting when I clearly stated we were no vax and the reason why was because that was what we thought was best. If course that wasn't true but I wanted to give the impression that the decision was made to avoid any follow up conversation. So this time round I was a bitmore honest and said we hadn't come to a decision yet so we were waiting. I guess that did open it up for him to comment, however, our visit was unrelated to VADs so I was unhappy that it was even brought up to begin with.
I've been reading mothering, especially these forums, for over 3 years now so very familiar withe the regulars. I recently started posting but as a single mom (1 and 3 year olds) in a new, second career I truly don't have free time - except in the bathroom. DD still wakes at night and often won't sleep without me so it's tough atm.
I have Dr. Sears' book and have not read it through but what I have read has convinced me that not vaxing has been a good choice. With that said, I fully realize I am not well informed - maybe just more gan the average - and that does not sit well with me. I worry all the time because I am not sure. But atm I would be even more upset to agree to a vax now without feeling fully informed.
A lot to think about and some good ideas from PPs on where to/ how to narrow it down so the research is less daunting.
Thanks again for the discussion and POVs.
I simply say we use another dr. as our reg. ped (it's a closed HMO so otherwise they would have access) and that I prefer not to share that information. Then, they could ask a specific question if it was relevant. "when was his last tetanus shot?" or go ahead and say if he hasn't had a tetanus shot he should get one.
We selectively vax (and to be perfectly truthful) in an ER situation I wouldn't remember when and which vaxes he has had 100% and I do prefer for my HMO not to have his shot record. Also, if they are looking a for disease there is a vax for the should go ahead and do the testing, vaccinated or not. My child who was vaxed for chicken pox-had chicken pox-because they swabbed and cultured, we have proof he had the chicken pox (which fulfills any booster requirements).
I would consider a random ER Doc wholly unqualified to advise me on long term decisions around immunization, however I do agree that I would not actually lie about our status.
|Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination|