Trip to ER has me doubting again - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 09-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
First I wanted to ask if you ever stated whether this doctor is a man - it seems some are calling this ER doc a "he". Did I miss where you said that?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thispathisme View Post

Ugh! No questions I guess. Just don't have many ppl IRL who would have this conversation with me. I hate not being sure about my decision.

I think maybe part of why you were approached the way you were is because you're not sure. I think doctors kind of seize on that - for good or for bad.  On the one hand, if they think you aren't sure, maybe their advice can be taken as just trying to inform, yk?  I think I come off as pretty confident to doctors and get very little slack, especially the second go round. Full disclosure, I'm delayed/selective but I did  take DC to the ER for a puncture wound before she had any immunizations and wasn't given a hard time at all. No lecture whatsoever. The only advice I got was to consult my DC's pediatrician if I was concerned. 

If you're still searching, the site I found most informative was the WHO delayed schedule. I just went down the list and weeded out first the things that weren't deadly. Then I went down and weeded out the things that my DC was too old for. At that point, you're dealing with a much less daunting number of vaccinations to research.  

This would be handy info in general. Of course not vaccinating doesn't mean you have to be an experts on vaccines...but I do think it probably helps to know your stuff if you keep having run-ins with doctors. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#32 of 34 Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm on my phone so forgive me if I don't reply to everyone who took the time to write.

Doc was a man. And I may have come off unsure.. But I did so purposefully hoping to avoid a hostile response which I found I was getting when I clearly stated we were no vax and the reason why was because that was what we thought was best. If course that wasn't true but I wanted to give the impression that the decision was made to avoid any follow up conversation. So this time round I was a bitmore honest and said we hadn't come to a decision yet so we were waiting. I guess that did open it up for him to comment, however, our visit was unrelated to VADs so I was unhappy that it was even brought up to begin with.

I've been reading mothering, especially these forums, for over 3 years now so very familiar withe the regulars. I recently started posting but as a single mom (1 and 3 year olds) in a new, second career I truly don't have free time - except in the bathroom. DD still wakes at night and often won't sleep without me so it's tough atm.

I have Dr. Sears' book and have not read it through but what I have read has convinced me that not vaxing has been a good choice. With that said, I fully realize I am not well informed - maybe just more gan the average - and that does not sit well with me. I worry all the time because I am not sure. But atm I would be even more upset to agree to a vax now without feeling fully informed.

A lot to think about and some good ideas from PPs on where to/ how to narrow it down so the research is less daunting.

Thanks again for the discussion and POVs.
applejuice likes this.
#33 of 34 Old 09-21-2013, 01:04 PM

I simply say we use another dr. as our reg. ped (it's a closed HMO so otherwise they would have access) and that I prefer not to share that information.  Then, they could ask a specific question if it was relevant.  "when was his last tetanus shot?"  or go ahead and say if he  hasn't had a tetanus shot he should get one. 

We selectively vax (and to be perfectly truthful) in an ER situation I wouldn't remember when and which vaxes he has had 100% and I do prefer for my HMO not to have his shot record.  Also, if they are looking a for disease there is a vax for the should go ahead and do the testing, vaccinated or not.  My child who was vaxed for chicken pox-had chicken pox-because they swabbed and cultured, we have proof he had the chicken pox (which fulfills any booster requirements).

#34 of 34 Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM

Bottom line is this ER doc radically simplified the issue so much so as to be not in any way correct, there are absolutely studies that show *harm* from vaccines. Maybe not 'more risk than benefit' but some potential for harms have been amply documented for almost every vaccine.

I would consider a random ER Doc wholly unqualified to advise me on long term decisions around immunization, however I do agree that I would not actually lie about our status.

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page