And idiots guide to titers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-20-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)

I know I can do a search for some old threads on titers but I want to start a new one so I can ask some specific follow up questions with live members. ;-)  

We are selective/delay and I'd consider going the titer route but I don't know where to begin. Is this a test that is ordered by your child's pediatrician?  We're going to go for a second lead test anyway (old house, first test was a bit high/5) so there is extra incentive that we're already getting a blood draw. 

Can you walk me through the basics? 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#2 of 14 Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Titers can be done for several vaccine available diseases, but the common ones are measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella. Positive results for MMR and varicella will count toward school vaccine requirements. Schools don't accept positive titers for every disease. For example, I don't think a positive pertussis titer will exempt a child from the pertussis requirement for school.

Another word for titer is an IgG antibody test.

Doctors are often reluctant to order these tests. They often say they won't be covered by insurance. Sometimes insurance covers them, and sometimes they don't. But I think insurance covers them more often than doctors think.

#3 of 14 Old 09-21-2013, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doc just ordered them, but she doesn't recommend the cdc schedule nor uses vaccines that are 4/5in 1 so it was easy to ask her.
The lab report is easy to read. It gives a reference what counts as immune and what not. Mmr, rubella, hepb,but also dtp and polio titers Can be ordered
#4 of 14 Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Anec-data alert! During my most recent pregnancy, when I had the midwife check for rubella immunity, I just asked if the lab could also check for varicella immunity. She seemed surprised at first, only because no one had requested that, (and I was super surprised that it wasn't a routine test, since chicken pox can be risky during pregnancy). But there was no problem adding it on to the lab reports, and no problem getting insurance coverage as usual.

Titers for vaccine-targeted childhood diseases is a rare request that may throw off some doctors. If yours lifts an eyebrow, (yes, at least here, the providers order the test), find out which lab s/he uses, then call directly to confirm that they can do the test. If you're extra concerned, call your insurance company. But honestly, if the lab is in-network to test for led, I'd *think* you'd be OK.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 14 Old 09-21-2013, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I should add that only some states will recognize titers in place of vaccines, so check your laws or call your health dept. A case of pertussis doesn't confer lifelong immunity, so the usefulness of titers depends on the disease in question.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#6 of 14 Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not so concerned with insurance coverage - how expensive could a lab test be?  Yes, I did get titers (I guess) as routine blood work for my pregnancies so I guess I'm familiar with how some of this works.  

My ped is pretty good about delayed vaccinations so I expect she'd be pretty cooperative.  

More questions...

Does it make sense to wait for getting titer tests until DC has had at least part of a vaccine series for all the ones we're getting?  For instance, if we were going to do MMR but hadn't started, should we wait until she's had say, two, doses?  

#7 of 14 Old 09-22-2013, 07:43 AM

Depends on the vaccine. We ran titers after one mmr. After two iPol polio titers make sense. After three dtap tetanus titers make sense.
Eg DH had one mmr at 12 months. He had his titers done at 24 and was immune. Our kids only had one mmr and have good titers. Darn iphone lol!
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.
#8 of 14 Old 09-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

if we were going to do MMR but hadn't started, should we wait until she's had say, two, doses?  

No, because there are only 2 doses total for the MMR. You can get the test done before the first MMR if you think there's any chance your child has been exposed naturally. Or you can get it done after the first dose of MMR, and there will be a 95-98% chance that the first dose will be enough for immunity. The second MMR is not a booster. It's purpose is to catch the 2-5% of children who don't respond to the first dose.

#9 of 14 Old 09-23-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks!  Sorry about the MMR example - I hadn't looked more closely at the dosage for that since we haven't started it.  Is there some handy resource that breaks down titer result likelihoods by vaccine and number of doses?  Also, is there a recommended time frame for immunity to take?  If I were to get one MMR before testing titers, for example, should we wait set amount of time before testing?  

#10 of 14 Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 AM

It's all in package inserts. Mmr is 28 days, iPol two doses two months apart and then wait at least a month. Google the insert for each vaccine smile.gif. Unfortunately there is no convenient way.
#11 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 AM

can testing for titers be done via one's naturopathic dr? I am new to considering a selective vax process as neither of my boys have received vaccinations, and my husband is pressuring me on a weekly basis now in terms of starting the process, so would like to see if they have any naturally acquired immunity to anything at all.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#12 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Star, a brief look into it (we will wait until DC has had a round of MMR) it seems like this is lab work. There are companies that can do it for you w/o a doctor but it was very expensive. A google search will bring that up. 

#13 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Star, a brief look into it (we will wait until DC has had a round of MMR) it seems like this is lab work. There are companies that can do it for you w/o a doctor but it was very expensive. A google search will bring that up.

thank you :)

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#14 of 14 Old 11-19-2013, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

No, because there are only 2 doses total for the MMR. You can get the test done before the first MMR if you think there's any chance your child has been exposed naturally. Or you can get it done after the first dose of MMR, and there will be a 95-98% chance that the first dose will be enough for immunity. The second MMR is not a booster. It's purpose is to catch the 2-5% of children who don't respond to the first dose.

This is our plan as well. I'm hoping that a second MMR is unnecessary. 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page