If you wait until later........ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How many of each do you need? Can you get away with less boosters? For a 5 or 10 year old, How many MMR, how many DTaP?

I am non-vax but every year or so I like to re-evaluate my choices. My main concerns are autoimmunity because I am very auto-immune, as well as a reaction she had to her 2 month shots. (Pentacel and prevnar.) She had a high pitched cry for 2 days, and would not make eye contact, and was difficult to nurse. 

ETA: I think I read somewhere that if you get MMR post puberty its more likely to result in RA. Is that true?

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#2 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 AM

12-23 month olds. Too bad they didn't want to look at higher age ranges. Obviously, the study's useless in my case. Not like I can jump to conclusions and say, "Wow, more reactions at 16-23 months, then 6 years old is going to be really bad." 

OP: My son's going to be 6 when we start vaxing. We're doing one MMR and then getting a titer done. I wouldn't read too much into the aforementioned linked study. Your child's 5 and mine are almost 6 and 9 and outside the age ranges in the study.

I have also heard about the post-puberty link to arthritis. I'm sure someone here will have a link for it. It's one reason we're going ahead with it now rather than wait any longer. DD will be nine this month and that window is slowly disappearing.

With DTaP I'm not sure, you'd have to check the requirements for your state. We're going to do the dT once they turn 10. TPTB here won't let us do it any earlier.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

The only reason I consider MMR is because its not great to get as an adult, and especially if you get pregnant. I was going to let her decide as an adult, but if the risks are higher for side effects post puberty, I may choose to do it sooner, like 8 or 9. DTaP I am not so sure of because of the reaction she had. She is really unlikely to catch any of them, and she will live through pertussis. I know it sucks because I had it at age 7, but the reaction she had as a baby makes me really nervous. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM

Yeah, that's about the only reason we're doing the MMR as well. We're also having to re-evaluate our choices as the kids get older and are on the brink of puberty (in our DD's case).

As for the DTaP, if you're in Canada (lucky you ;) ) then you do have the option to go for the Tdap after age 7 (obviously depends on your situation, risk factors, and mindset about waiting another two years). It has less of the diphtheria toxoids in it and is presumed to cause less of a reaction in older children:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/p04-dip-eng.php#a2

Quote:
The amount of diphtheria toxoid present varies by product. Preparations containing higher concentrations of diphtheria toxoid (designated as “D”) are administered for primary immunization of infants and young children less than 7 years of age (pediatric formulation). Preparations containing a lower concentration (designated as “d” and referred to as “reduced”) may be administered as a booster dose to children 4 years to less than 7 years of age and are the recommended product for older children, adolescents and adults (adolescent/adult formulation).

The Canadian Immunization Guide says that Tdap can be used as a primary series if kids are older than 7. Three doses, with an interval of 8 weeks between the first two, and the third dose 6-12 months after the second one.

I tried to go this route here (there's another thread on it in this forum) but the Aussies recently moved the age up in their own Immunisation Handbook from 8 years to 10 years. So, we're waiting. As Canada and the US find it riskier to vaccine older children with infant vaccines, then I'm prepared to wait, no matter that the Australian government endorses.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#5 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

All the package inserts for pertussis-containing vaccines advise that you think carefully before giving another pertussis containing vaccine if your child experienced inconsolable crying for 3 or more hours following a pertussis containing vaccine.

Example:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM124514.pdf

• "If temperature ≥105°F, collapse or shock-like state, or persistent,

inconsolable crying lasting ≥3 hours have occurred within 48 hours after receipt of a pertussis-containing vaccine, or if seizures have occurred within 3 days after receipt of a pertussis-containing vaccine, the decision to give INFANRIX should be based on potential benefits and risks."

#6 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

All the package inserts for pertussis-containing vaccines advise that you think carefully before giving another pertussis containing vaccine if your child experienced inconsolable crying for 3 or more hours following a pertussis containing vaccine.

Example:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM124514.pdf

• "If temperature ≥105°F, collapse or shock-like state, or persistent,

inconsolable crying lasting ≥3 hours have occurred within 48 hours after receipt of a pertussis-containing vaccine, or if seizures have occurred within 3 days after receipt of a pertussis-containing vaccine, the decision to give INFANRIX should be based on potential benefits and risks."

Thank you for this. I think I will skip that one altogether, and just think about the MMR around age 8 or 9. She can weigh the risks as an adult for herself. 

#7 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

think about the MMR around age 8 or 9.

I don't vaccinate at all, but if I did give the MMR, I would give a mega dose of vitamin A for the 2 days prior to the vaccine.

#8 of 9 Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

I don't vaccinate at all, but if I did give the MMR, I would give a mega dose of vitamin A for the 2 days prior to the vaccine.

Yeah, I plan on really supporting her body and immune system for two weeks before and after. We eat pretty clean and stuff anyway, but I will kick it all up a notch before hand and do it in the summer months when she is the healthiest. I have heard conflicting stuff about vitamin A, so I probably wont mega dose, but do it through food. 

#9 of 9 Old 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I decided to start vaccinating my children, they were 3 and almost 5. What I did was go to the CD page where the official USA schedule is. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/child-adolescent.html#printable
I printed the official schedule, and catchup schedule. Then I dug in, and searched through to figure out exactly how many of each vaccine my children needed to be "fully vaccinated" I wrote it all down, highlighting the relevant parts where my children needed less than the regular schedule. I then counseled with DH, and decided which vaccines they would receive, and when.

There are many vaccines that they need less of if they are older. Some vaccines are for diseases that are really only dangerous for younger kids, but since I had a baby on the way, we decided to have them get some of those to protect the baby who would not be vaccinated until later.
The info is all right there in the schedules, but may take a little digging to find. Good luck. smile.gif

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page