The "my kid just had a shot and it's not a celebration" thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In fact, it's a story of four adults (two parents and two medical professionals) sitting in a nurse's office trying to figure out how to outsmart Aussie bureaucracy.

We decided to do one MMR and get a titre done for DS and DD. It's their first vaccine each at ages 9 and 5.5. We're holding off on the dT until they're allowed to get it here, starting age 10. 

Well, the issue is the Australian Immunisation Registry tracks all vaccines given to kids age 7 and under. Thus, seeing that we started vaccinating the kids, they'd likely revoke our CO and start harassing us to get them brought up to the full schedule (which will never happen). In addition, while we can apply for and receive the Family Tax Benefit with a CO lodged and in place, the government says it must be all or nothing. So, doing a selective and delayed route would mean we would no longer be eligible for the FTB unless we 1) brought them up to the full schedule or 2) applied using our CO on file. Nice that the government has no leeway for people who are mindful very selective and delayed families.

So, we elected to do it privately. The doctor wrote a prescription and it goes to the chemist (pharmacy) to get filled. We paid for it out of pocket and brought it back to the clinic. Nothing gets filed with the government on any records and we keep a copy of the prescription in case someone says, "Ah, measles outbreak. Unvaxed kids stay home!" and we can show them that they did in fact receive one MMR. I'll keep a copy of their titre record too when it gets done. They do have a record of it on file at the doctor's office, but I imagine that's confidential as it's patient records.  

Oh how did they do? Both screamed and cried a lot. It was probably more traumatic for me though than them. Fingers crossed not too much in the way of fever etc. over the next while. 

Edited to add: DH was the one who filled the prescripts (I had to run DS to another appointment straight afterwards) and when I looked at the copy he brought back and filed in the office, their names (not ours, like I'd hoped) are on the prescription after all. So, on one hand, no qualms about the GP or nurse technically doing something that might be construed as unethical, yet, on the other hand, there is that paper trail now if the government wants to track us and revoke our CO status, which would mean we lose about $2.5k a year for our choice to vaccinate (but not to government standards). As far as I know, the most prescriptions here are subsidised by the government, so they will have the opportunity to paper chase and see who bought a vaccine privately and follow it up. I suspect that unless we left the country, there's very little chance we can escape TPTB here and their control over the system. Maybe it's time to look into getting them done on holidays back to Canada, where hopefully the long arm of Aussie bureaucracy doesn't reach.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#2 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if there would be repercussions for the medical professionals involved, the false names and administered to the unprescribed? I get what everyone was trying to accomplish but what a mess.
#3 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not going to divulge it, nor the nurse. I suppose they are willing to support a family who wants to selectively vaccinate but is given no choice by the government. I know my GP was glad we'd finally started the process, in his mind he probably thought, "Wow, they've finally made the right decision," and he was committed to helping support us in our choice. 

He wouldn't budge on the dT though, even when I showed him the info from the US and Canada. So, flexibility only goes so far. Living here, wanting to vaccinate doing a S&D process, is beyond frustrating. Even if there's GPs around willing to work with us, in order to comply with heavy handed bureaucratic one-size-fits-all nonsense, we have to really put ourselves out there--the vaccines will cost us about $100 out of pocket (so far, the dT series for DD next year will be more expensive). The one we wanted to do straight away, the dT, we can't because Australians think that kids up to age 10 should be able to tolerate infant vaccines fine, even if the US and Canada disagree. It's madness really.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

#4 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 AM

Hopefully the kids are feeling fine today.
#5 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

No fever, no issues whatsoever yet. They said to watch for fever, rash, about 5-10 days in.

#6 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM

We had fever on days 7-8 accompanied with a facial rash and swollen lymph nodes (groin) week 3-9.

#7 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm keeping that in mind…to expect something around the one week mark. They're getting extra SA this week, about 2g a day, and the maximum allowable supplemental vitamin A for their ages.

#8 of 11 Old 11-24-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Day 7. No fever yet. No rash. Nothing. Fingers crossed it keeps going so well. 

#9 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)

What to hear another non-celebratory vaccine post?

My youngest (just turned 11!) got her one and only vaccine about a year ago.  After battling recurrent lung infection for a long time, I decided that a pneumococcal vaccine was in her best interest.

I was unhappy about having to go this route.  I was unhappy she was sickly and needed a pharmaceutical product.  Who wouldn't be unhappy their child needed meds?  

I was not particularly worried about side effects.  I do worry, greatly, about side effects from vaccines - but I primarily worry about them in the under 3's or those with allergies or AI in their family.  She, happily, has neither.  

The vaccine did not go over well.  She did not buy into needing it, and we (the doctor and I) practically had to chase her around the room to give her the needle. Not good.    I am glad the vaccines exists for those who need it - but it was not a friggin celebration. 

On the plus side, the doctor and I talked further at that visit about what else we could do to lessen chest infections.  The doctor asked if I wanted a referral to the lung clinic for her, I said yes, and that (and perhaps the vaccine - who knows?) has made a world of difference.  She has breathing exercising to do when she gets a cold to help her move the gunk out of her lungs.  She has been chest infection free for over a year know (knock wood!).

Alas, she is resistant to doing her chest exercises.  It was fun at first for her - new toy to play with! - but is now a chore.  She even tells me she does not have to do the chest exercises as she had the vaccine huh.gif.  I have to remind her that the vaccine is only good for certain types of pneumonia and for certain strains.  

Japonica - glad your kids are doing well reaction-wise.  

japonica likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#10 of 11 Old 11-25-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

What to hear another non-celebratory vaccine post?

My youngest (just turned 11!) got her one and only vaccine about a year ago.  After battling recurrent lung infection for a long time, I decided that a pneumococcal vaccine was in her best interest.

I was unhappy about having to go this route.  I was unhappy she was sickly and needed a pharmaceutical product.  Who wouldn't be unhappy their child needed meds?  

I was not particularly worried about side effects.  I do worry, greatly, about side effects from vaccines - but I primarily worry about them in the under 3's or those with allergies or AI in their family.  She, happily, has neither.  

The vaccine did not go over well.  She did not buy into needing it, and we (the doctor and I) practically had to chase her around the room to give her the needle. Not good.    I am glad the vaccines exists for those who need it - but it was not a friggin celebration. 

On the plus side, the doctor and I talked further at that visit about what else we could do to lessen chest infections.  The doctor asked if I wanted a referral to the lung clinic for her, I said yes, and that (and perhaps the vaccine - who knows?) has made a world of difference.  She has breathing exercising to do when she gets a cold to help her move the gunk out of her lungs.  She has been chest infection free for over a year know (knock wood!).

Alas, she is resistant to doing her chest exercises.  It was fun at first for her - new toy to play with! - but is now a chore.  She even tells me she does not have to do the chest exercises as she had the vaccine huh.gif.  I have to remind her that the vaccine is only good for certain types of pneumonia and for certain strains.  

Japonica - glad your kids are doing well reaction-wise.  

Thanks. Day 8 and still doing okay. No fever or anything.

I can empathise with you. I'm probably one of the more reluctant moms on the S&D forum, and after the dT series for each kid, I'm done. Well, if the kids decide they want to go on the school trip to Indonesia in their senior school years, then I'll remind them that they'll need to take into account the vaccines they should have before going. That'll impact their decision, no doubt.

I'm not looking forward to trying to convince them to do the dT series either. After having had their first vaccine, they know exactly what to expect and I doubt I'll get them into the GP's office again without mass bribery of an unprecedented scale. DD will be the one eligible for the dT starting at the end of next year. She might do the mental calculations and figure out it's in her interest to bite the bullet. DS however is far from convinced and he'll need the ensuing 5 years just to come around to the idea.

I'm glad your DD hasn't had a chest infection in a long while. That must be a relief to you. I had double pneumonia when I was 11 and I still recall going to the physiotherapist during the illness so she could beat the heck out of my back to clear the thick mucous out. I missed six weeks of school. It's funny, but as a kid, I didn't think much of the implications of it, just that I was pretty unwell, felt tired, and had so much trouble breathing. I can't imagine what a state my mother must have been in. I know I'd be a wreck if one of my LOs were battling double pneumonia.

#11 of 11 Old 11-30-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Day 13. Still nothing. No fever, no rashes, no swollen glands, nothing. Whew. 

nia82 and Taximom5 like this.

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page