DTaP Scheduled: Nervous - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have scheduled my second (3.5) for one DTaP in advance of the baby's birth. It is Daptacel. I feel like it would be beneficial in a few ways & I don't actually intend for it to be part of a series. Just more to provide some minimal level of Pertussis protection (cocooning) & Tetanus on the 'once every decade' tip. I will probably be able to convince DH to Tdap & my oldest IMO cannot b/c he reacted severely to his first DTaP (Infanrix, GSK).

I am *very* nervous tho. I guess I just want to hear that it is NBD & he will not seize up & die . . . I know this maybe shooting a RE in the foot & that has to be considered (the potential risk from being abruptly forced to catch up to the entire schedule), but ultimately a large part of my personal RE is that the state does not have authority inside the body, so actually totally abstaining would also be giving the state that authority.
#2 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We never did a DTaP but just wanted to say that I'll feel the same way next year with the first of the dT series, so I can empathise. Hope everything goes well. :hug

dinahx likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 AM

Fingers crossed. How did you get your hands on daptacel? Our office is still out.
#4 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM

The "once every decade" recommendation for the tetanus booster is for people who have already completed the primary series of several shots. I suggest looking into the rate of protection from just one shot if you haven't already. I'd hate for you to want him to be protected and think he is, but have him really not be. 

#5 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

They swear they are in . . .

Erigeron, I will look into it, but everything I see regarding 'catch up schedules' seem to indicate aging out of the 'primary series'. Again, I will confirm, but my impression is that the primary series has to do with the idea that young children & nurslings take longer to develop immunity . . .

I know if you just never do DTaP, after 7-10, they just get a Tdap . . .
#6 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Okay: I found this: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf

Catch up schedules do seem tricky but it seems clear that you do get out of @ least some of the 'series' concept, albeit, not all of it . . .
#7 of 7 Old 11-30-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Saw on the other thread that everything went well. Hurray! :thumb

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page