The Case for Vaccine Choice - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

"Weak"- more trolling vocabulary. Anyone who is at all engaged in the world knows how this comes across. It's offensive.

my apologies, I'm not meaning to troll.  I saw Kathymuggle had a related topic in the debate forum, should I move my comments over there?  Although I've had posters there tell me that I damaged and diseased my kids for vaccinating them.  It seems like the moderating is a little one-sided here :(

#32 of 43 Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Interesting question- is it better to have a vaccine that doesn't actually work well to prevent the disease, that almost anyone can receive, or a vaccine that works much better but has more contraindications?

I am starting to think it would be better to have real protection against the disease and a tiny number of people unvaccinated against it, because at least we would have a better picture of the reality of who is or is not protected.

I personally wouldn't mind taking these "risks" (I already did during my childhood getting DPT) with my family.  In the absence of side effects (very likely in our case), there would be both private and public benefits.  Especially if it meant that herd immunity was stronger and public health officials would stop harassing families that choose not to vaccinate their children.

#33 of 43 Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

I hope people on this thread are being sarcastic. Clearly, telling parents "you don't have to send your kids to public school" is an elitist attitude- and a tired argument that has been done to death in these forums. And "kids with vaccine reactions are weak" is just beyond offensive. Hello mods?

I think public school is harmful to kids on a number of levels. Mandatory vaccination is only one aspect of that.  But it's off topic, and I already apologized for my other comments elsewhere.

#34 of 43 Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naimah View Post

my apologies, I'm not meaning to troll.  I saw Kathymuggle had a related topic in the debate forum, should I move my comments over there?  Although I've had anti-vaxxers there tell me that I damaged and diseased my kids for vaccinating them.  It seems like the moderating is a little one-sided here :(

You can flag it if that is the case.

ETA:  we're good, as far as I am concerned, on the apology.  MDC vaccines forums need to come with a manual on "how to write so as not to set off a flame war."  It does not come with such a manual, and I have written sloppily and offended more than once.  We all need to cut each other some slack.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#35 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)

As a regular member I really appreciate KM giving some slack to new members as well as members willingness to hear explanations for how what we say is perceived and apologize when necessary. It goes such a long way!  

I want to remind everyone that this is the Selective/Delay forum and is intended for those families specifically. Members wishing to discuss or debate issues with the full range of perspectives on vaccines can post in the Discussion and Debate forum. 

"Pro-Vax" or full-vax families have a forum to post for support and discussion of that choice. 

Here is a link to the forum guidelines: http://www.mothering.com/community/a/vaccination-forum-guidelines

Please keep an eye on your in-box in the next day or two in case some edits are in order. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#36 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

As a regular member I really appreciate KM giving some slack to new members as well as members willingness to hear explanations for how what we say is perceived and apologize when necessary. It goes such a long way!  

I want to remind everyone that this is the Selective/Delay forum and is intended for those families specifically. Members wishing to discuss or debate issues with the full range of perspectives on vaccines can post in the Discussion and Debate forum. 

"Pro-Vax" or full-vax families have a forum to post for support and discussion of that choice. 

Here is a link to the forum guidelines: http://www.mothering.com/community/a/vaccination-forum-guidelines
Please keep an eye on your in-box in the next day or two in case some edits are in order. 

Thanks! We are in fact selective about vaccine formulations, and we certainly aren't on schedule. I don't think that stops me from having a "pro" perspective. I see lots of benefits to vaccines, or I wouldn't be giving them to my child at all.
#37 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks! We are in fact selective about vaccine formulations, and we certainly aren't on schedule. I don't think that stops me from having a "pro" perspective.

That sure does. If you are a selective vaccine or delayed vaccine family, you are welcome to post here. It's understandable that someone can feel "pro-vax" but still delay and/or decline certain formulations. :) 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#38 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Since this thread is all about making a case for vaccine choice, I'll add a thought that a lot of us in the S/D camp find aggravating: The lack of choice in SPECIFIC vaccines. We can no longer choose monovalent vaccines, such as M, M, and/or R instead of MMR. We cannot choose between whole-cell or acellular pertussis. Most of the time, we can't even choose which freaking brand we want. All of these decisions get made for us from On High. I often wonder how many more parents would vaccinate for certain diseases if they had their own say in how to go about it.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#39 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:

You're not required to send your children to public school, and public school has always been about forcing people to fit into an industrial mold. Uniform vaccination is only the first part of many ways your child will be forced to conform in public school. Why not advocate for school choice? Personally I'd rather get a voucher or reimbursement on my property taxes.

Well and good until you live in a state in which homeschoolers are also subject to the same vaccination laws as school-children. Virginia and New Mexico immediately come to mind.

Also, I'm a staunch advocate for homeschooling rights and still argue that not everyone can or should homeschool. Homeschooling is a serious decision, major commitment, and calling. It should happen out of a genuine passion for educating one's children, not as a default, no-other-choice setting for people who lost a battle with the state over vaccine choice.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#40 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
@pp I agree! All I wanted for LO was the tetanus vaccine - instead we had to get pertussis, diphtheria, and polio and tetanus - or nothing at all. It's so patronizing and as you say, if it really was about best for babies they would never let some kids go with zero vaccines as opposed to selecting. Ds only has the dtap mentioned above, I don't intend on doing any others. He can decide otherwise for himself when he's older.
#41 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
One of the things that scares me most about vaccines is that the number of them keeps going up and it seems the sky is the limit.
They try to say that refusing a vaccine for even a mild issue like chicken pox can result in a dead baby. It's so patronizing, hysterical and therefore scary at the same time.
rachelsmama and Turquesa like this.
#42 of 43 Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The case should always be for choice. I am not anti-vaccination, I am pro-choice. Parents right to choose should always be the issue, not what the parents choose. 

Turquesa likes this.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#43 of 43 Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Since this thread is all about making a case for vaccine choice, I'll add a thought that a lot of us in the S/D camp find aggravating: The lack of choice in SPECIFIC vaccines. We can no longer choose monovalent vaccines, such as M, M, and/or R instead of MMR. We cannot choose between whole-cell or acellular pertussis. Most of the time, we can't even choose which freaking brand we want. All of these decisions get made for us from On High. I often wonder how many more parents would vaccinate for certain diseases if they had their own say in how to go about it.

I think this must vary a lot from doctor to doctor.... We can usually chose what brand we want at our peds office.  Sometimes they have to special order it, but that's about it.  I would like to do whole-cell for pertussis, which isn't on the market anymore.

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page