6 months: What to get/skip? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD will be 6 months on January 13th. I had her get one dose of DTaP at 3 months and then decided against any subsequent doses (I agonized over whether or not to give her this one in the first place, and after getting one of the doses decided against getting any more). She has not had any other vaccines. I am not anti-vaccine, and I do intend to give her more as she gets older. I plan to do more research and take another look at the Sears Vaccine Book, but I also thought I would toss out the question here to see people's thoughts: Now that she's 6 months, which vaccines do you think are no longer useful to her? I know the risks of pertussis drop significantly after 6 months, which was the main disease I worried about (which is why I got her the one does of DTaP). And also, for those who are doing select/delay, I'm interested in hearing which vaccines you chose to give your LOs and when. The ones her doctor's office (which is pretty vax-friendly) recommends most are DTaP, Hib, and Prevnar (and also Rotavirus, I think). Is she too old for Hib and Prevnar? Again, I will do more research, but I thought I would also ask here. Thanks in advance!

#2 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She is only 6 months old and would need to get two very important vaxxs:  Hib and Prevnar, which are important under the age of 5, especially Hib.  

Ann, age 47.  TTC since 2006 using TCM.  DD#1, born at home 2007; and DD#2, born at home 2011.  Selective vaccination.   
#3 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is she breastfed?
The reason I ask is because Hib risk is greatly reduced in breastfed children.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16640661/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10195681/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9169183/
#4 of 5 Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Lollicups are you the same user as Lollicup?

I just find your info confusing. You stated in one of your threads that you thought the Hib shot was responsible for your DD's viral meningitis. I could be mistaken. I apologize if you are a different user.

If you are the same as Lollicup, I am wondering what you chose to vaccinate DD2 with and at what ages? I thought your threads were really helpful.

To ivyc1987 - I have no advice, I have struggled with this decision for many years and I am still in research mode :( Wishing you clarity in your quest for knowledge!

#5 of 5 Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts -- yes, she is EBF (though we'll be starting solids soon!) and I am committed to BFing at least 2 years, or until she self-weans. I am leaning towards not getting anything until she's 1 and then reconsidering. I am so the type of person to second guess my decision -- I envy the people who are SO sure that what they are doing is right! This whole vaccine decision has been so difficult.

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page