Poll: If You Could Only Choose 3 Vaccines... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you were only able to get your child 3 vaccines, what would they be? Why?

If you could decline just 3 vaccines, what would they be and why?

I'm curious to see where everyone agrees or disagrees and how many people are generally on the same page.

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#2 of 13 Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

BUMP

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

:lurk

Just to let you know that I'm watching, but I always seem to be the first to reply to these discussion threads so I'm just waiting...:wink

jtapc90 likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#4 of 13 Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Get -

Polio

Measles

Mumps

(all separate)

Decline -

Hep

gardasil

chicken pox

jtapc90 likes this.
#5 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 02:09 AM

get-

pertussis, it is becoming more and more common and i really don't want my kids to get it

polio, though it is rare, my uncle got it before the vaccine was available, and is still suffering from post-polio syndrome in his 60s

measles- complications are rare, but life-threatening

decline- 

hep b, because it is not really needed in childhood

chicken pox,because i know how to manage it

rubella, i am immune, and there were only 7-80 cases of it in my country per year the last decade

The balances are between how serious the disease is, and how likely my kids will be to encounter it. 

Measles and pertussis are relatively likely, considering the fact that people likely to be at a LLL meeting, a cloth diaper store, or a Waldorf or Montessori goods store are less likely to vaccinate. The vax rates at a local public kindergarten are nearly 100%, and at the local waldorf kindergarten, they are around 50%

jtapc90 likes this.
#6 of 13 Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM

Get

-tetanus: I live in Australia and my kids are barefoot a lot of the time. Yeah, adequate wound care, sure. However, my kids are getting older and I'm not with them all the time anymore. They're out at the beach with friends. They're on school excursions to farms, the bush, whatever. They come home (more likely DS) with semi-scabbed over scrapes and I'll ask, "Um, when did you get that?" The school nurses clean what they're aware of, but with my DS, he's more likely to get a cut or scrape, cry a bit, and then go right back to playing in the dirt without telling anyone. Unfortunately, we cannot get the dT until age 10 here so it's a bit problematic that the kid who likely is at higher risk from dirty wounds is the one who has to wait another 4 years to get the vaccine.

-measles: complications are very rare; however, there have been 151 cases country-wide last year, the majority brought back from travellers to Asia. My kids have classmates who travel to Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand regularly.

-diphtheria: also very rare (as Mendelsohn writes, the chance of getting it is the same as getting bitten by a cobra). Also, the whole nutrition/sanitation/why haven't the millions of adults worldwide whose circulating antitoxin levels are below 0.1IU/mL gotten it, sure). That said, it is also endemic in Asia, can be present in vaccinated individuals who have been colonised by the bacteria, thus while my kids have as much chance clinical diphtheria as a cobra bite, their risk goes up a fraction more with a basket including said cobra possibly hanging out in their classroom. I can hope that nutrition is enough should any of their classmates bring back a souvenir from Asia or I can take one extra step to possibly help reduce risk.

(Polio also fits this rationale for us--the old individual immunity vs. transmission issues with IPV--but since we can only go with three, these are the ones we have elected to go with IRL already or in the nearer future. Polio will be more of an issue if they decide to go to Asia on school trips much further down the road).

Decline

-pertussis: one child has had it naturally already; the vaccine's effectiveness is just not there IMO to get it for the other child. The whole issue with antigenic drift is just too obvious here in Australia where the majority of cases analysed are not covered by the strains in the current vaccine.

-HPV: not convinced about relative safety vs. effectiveness; too new; there are other means to reduce the risk of developing cervical cancer. Other issues re: serotype replacement and ultimate overall effectiveness.

-Flu: no thanks. The evidence of effectiveness in children is just not there, IMO. Three of us actually came through suspected H1N1 when we were visiting family in Canada during an outbreak over Christmas. We didn't get it confirmed (who wants to sit in the ER and infect others), but we made it through okay. 

There's a few more that I could put under decline: chicken pox, hep B, polio etc. but these are not absolute. If the kids get to the end of their teen years without demonstrated immunity to chicken pox, then it might be something for them to consider. By that point, they can decide for themselves if they want a varicella vax or a hep B if they feel they need it.

jtapc90 likes this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#7 of 13 Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the wonderful and thorough answers! 

#8 of 13 Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Well since you can't get dtap apart here is my list:
Dtap (tetanus and diphtheria are horrible; aP might in the best case mitigate the disease though I am not counting on that whatsoever)
Measles (mmr since I have no choice in the us, with titer check)
Polio

Absolutely no:
Hpv
Varicella
Prevnar (if it was reformulated than I'd do it. But not with the ingredients as it stands)
japonica, Turquesa and Mulvah like this.
#9 of 13 Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 AM

What are the issues with Prevnar as you see it Nia? Genuinely curious, only issue I saw was Aluminum & it wasn't as much as the lowest DTaP.

It depends on the age for me & this is not a promise but theoretically:
Baby could be DTaP, Hib & Prevnar (vs. HepB, Rota, & Polio)

In general, probably DTaP, Flu & MMR in an outbreak.

Maybe Menningitis in the older set.
#10 of 13 Old 02-08-2014, 12:19 PM

Polysorbate 80 mainly. It could easily be swapped for a less offensive ingredient. And then there is the big issue of serotype replacement.

#11 of 13 Old 03-11-2014, 06:54 PM

Well that depends on if you mean 3 vaxes for their lifetime or just their childhood:

I would get:

DTaP, MMR, and Polio - lots of international travel and it is still endemic in some areas, all can cause bad long term side effects.

There is nothing I can say we would never get because it depends on the situation.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#12 of 13 Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Get:

DTaP

Hib

Prevnar

These are the ones we've actually gotten so far, so that was an easy one

Decline:

HPV

Polio

Flu (if it's not considered optional - I still think of it as generally optional, since I don't think it's required for school)

If flu is optional, than probably Hep B?

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#13 of 13 Old 07-25-2014, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dtap
mmr
polio

others when he is 10 or so (hepB, the one for menigentis (sp), chicken pox if she hasn't had it, and the hpv one once they make it safer)

Tags
Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page