Reaction worth stopping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 15mo just had her 2nd dose of dtap. About 24 hours later the injection site had a red, raised welt about 1.5" in diameter. Another 24 hours later and it's smoothed down to more of a bruise, 2" in diameter. She had no reactions at all with the 1st dose. I know this is a pretty common reaction, would you continue vaccinating or should I stop so that she doesn't have any worse reactions with future doses?
#2 of 2 Old 01-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That's obviously a personal call. From what I understand, the localised bump or swelling is often a reaction to the adjuvant and many people don't consider it a reason to stop. I haven't been down that road yet (doing our first vaccine with an adjuvant this November) so I couldn't say what I'd do. I suppose it would depend on how long the swelling lasted (days vs. weeks) and if there were any other worrying accompanying reactions (fever, neurological, whatever). Good luck with your decision. 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page