Not vaccinating till over 1 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am brand new to this and so relieved I have found a place were I (hopefully) wont be called a disgusting mother for my choices! (And yes, I was called disgusting!)

I have twin girls, currently 5 months and I am declining all vaccinations (uk) till they are at least a year old. I had numerous letters for appointments from my doctors booking me in, and I just never turned up (after all I didn't book the appointment).
Anyway, this week I have received a letter asking me to go into my doctors and discuss immunisations so my questions can be answered.

I'm not sure, after looking through some posts on other threads, that my research is as extensive as it could be, but from what I have found, I am happy to stand by my choice of not vaccinating till over 1.

I was raised homeopathically, the doctors tried to get me on thyroxine (hormone replacement) before I had hit puberty. My mum stood we ground and was threatened with court. They said I would be infertile, she would stunt my growth blahblah, and here I am with twins (naturals) 5'8 and perfectly heathy. Apart from my baby jabs, the rest were administered homeopathically and I intend to either do thesame with my children or wait till they are over 1 year.

I am worried the gp will try to Bully me so I have written down so basic points, eg-
Japan have one of lowest morality rates in world since upping min vax age to 2 years old
Different facts about individual vacs

My main question, is did anybody else have to go and justify their reasoning, were you bullied, did you have to fight? (I have asked this on my local mum club blog and been removed from their site, after being bad mouthed and labeled a bad mum!)

Any small snippets of info that I can write in my notebook and take along would also be appreciated!

Hope this isn't the wrong kind of thing to post. If so just let me no and I will just scout the other threads! Thanks in advance smile.gif
#2 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Also forgot to mention I won't be giving the MMR at all
#3 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear you've been given such a hard time. That's dreadful.

We have recently started vaccinating our 3.5 yo and yes, we did have several conversations with our GPs (first one retired late last year so we've recently moved practices as well).

I didn't get into too much debate with them. I allowed them to have their say then made a simple statement, basically: we think vaccines do work (although probably not as well as or in the way that the generally available info suggests) but that we have concerns about possible side effects. I also mention that our children are long-term breastfed, do not attend daycare, have no chronic health problems at this time and we have ready access to excellent health care, but if any of those things changed then we would certainly review the decision.

Both have been respectful. Both said that they disagreed with our view but my aim wasn't to change their mind so I just smiled and nodded and we all moved on. Our original GP signed a CO form for my first DD but I didn't end up submitting it in the end.

All the best, I hope your GP is respectful. My advice is don't try to educate or change his/her mind. Just keep politely saying I'm comfortable with this decision for now, thank you.
japonica likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I don't plan on getting into a debate but also don't want them to make me feel like I have to justify myself! It that makes sense x
#5 of 11 Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not in the UK, so I don't know exactly how it works, but I don't think you're required to go to that appointment. They said the appointment was so your "questions could be answered?" Why do they assume you have questions, and why do they assume you would want any such questions to be answered by that particular doctor? I would probably ignore the appointment just as you've done in the past. I think that's bizarre that they book an appointment without confirming with you first!

#6 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

i typed

"which vaccinations are compulsory in the Uk ?" and this website came up

http://www.informedparent.co.uk/faq

with this question answered ...

(seems a decent website to get information from ...)

Q Are any vaccines compulsory in the UK?
No, however most parents who question them are often met with disapproval from their GPs and health visitors. Concerned parents should take as long as THEY need to make an informed decision. Most vaccines can be given at much greater ages, if this is the parent’s wish, so there is no need to decide by the times indicated on the immunisation programme.

sunniedups likes this.
#7 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 AM

My daughter got her first 2 shots. I was terrified of the MMR vaccine and others due to all the talk on autism and vaccines. My son got all his shots on time and is autistic which scared the crap out of me cause I don't know what to believe. With this fear, I didn't take my daughter for her shots. I decided to wait until shes much older and stronger. She got them up to date a month shy of her fifth birthday. I felt comfortable with my decision and didn't allow anyone to bully me into doing otherwise. At the end of the day it was my choice. Im having my third and last bundle of joy and will most likely do the same with him.

#8 of 11 Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I also declined all vaccinations until after 1. So far ds has had 2 doses quadracel and that's it. I also won't be doing MMR or other vaccines. Ds got his first shot at 15 months and his second at 18 months. He was fine for both.

In terms of how to deal with the medical system, I called them and told them to stop calling me. I was willing to write a letter if necessary but thankfully it didn't come to that. Both times we went in for the shots the nurses talked my ear off for 1/2 an hour about all the other vaccines and I was very interested in everything they had to say and very polite. Then at the end I said I wanted to think about it some more and I would get back to them if I needed anything.

Also, I'm a lawyer so I know that Where I live they can't remove children for not vaccinating and they can't harass or make you do it. Here at least you can tell them, in writing if necessary, to stop contacting you about vaccines.

Also I'm a bit paranoid as a lawyer and I often see medico legal issues in medical decision making. I have to say that I think it's pretty convenient for the medical and pharmaceutical industries that vaccines are given at such a young age (2 months) so that there would be no way to establish that the vaccine created a problem. Like, a child who was fully vaccinated per the schedule and then goes on to develop problems with speech or anything else, how could that be attributed to the vaccine if its given at a time before the child has demonstrated through normal development some of those capabilities?

Also intuitively there's no way Id shoot that many chemicals into a baby, just seems too dangerous.
#9 of 11 Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

ViolaP, thanks for sharing your opinion ...

this

pretty convenient for the medical and pharmaceutical industries that vaccines are given at such a young age (2 months) so that there would be no way to establish that the vaccine created a problem. Like, a child who was fully vaccinated per the schedule and then goes on to develop problems with speech or anything else, how could that be attributed to the vaccine if its given at a time before the child has demonstrated through normal development some of those capabilities?

.... is SUCH a good point !!!!

#10 of 11 Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 AM

We waited until after 24 months. DS actually was nearly 2.5 years the way it worked out. Then one dose at a time (only the first time we did daptacel and acthib together). We leave 1-6-12 months between doses. It just happened due to shortages in daptacel or travelling and moving.

We had lots of talks with our family doctor and they were supportive. Our new ped is very supportive too and mentioned how there are too many doses on the schedule (it doesn't take that many for most kids to have sufficient antibody levels). I observed reactions such as fever, rash, swollen lymph nodes and a large lump at the injection side. I like how my kids are old enough to tell me what's going on. Our ped also suggests to supplement with extra vitamin d during vaccines, Epsom salt baths and such.

#11 of 11 Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum101 View Post

Japan have one of lowest morality rates in world since upping min vax age to 2 years old
Different facts about individual vacs

If you have links handy for this I would LOVE it! I have been trying to find this info for a while but can only find info that list compulsory vaccines starting at 1 year old in Japan, with the allowed age as low as 4 months. 

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page