Kids, 10+, what's important? Also: getting kids informed - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 67 Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks I will!

Although in looking into it the 6 in 1 is not intended for over 7, the 4 in 1 is for 4-6 and the 5in1 is simply consider a booster with no age specifications?

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#62 of 67 Old 03-16-2014, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedbutterfly View Post

Thanks I will!

Although in looking into it the 6 in 1 is not intended for over 7, the 4 in 1 is for 4-6 and the 5in1 is simply consider a booster with no age specifications?

Here's what I found under the diphtheria toxoid active vaccines section (since that's the issue, according to Canadian recommendations):

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/cig-gci/p04-dip-eng.php#a2

Under recommendations for use, infants and children, 2 months to 17 years of age:

Quote:
DTaP-IPV...vaccine is authorized for use in children less than 7 years of age. DTaP-HB-IPV-Hib vaccine is authorized for use in children 6 weeks to 23 months of age and may be given to children aged 24 months to less than 7 years, if necessary. DTaP-IPV or Tdap-IPV vaccine should be used as the booster dose for children at 4 to 6 years of age. Children 7 years of age and older should receive the adolescent/adult formulation of diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis-containing vaccine with or without polio (Tdap or Tdap-IPV) as it contains less diphtheria toxoid than preparations given to younger children and is less likely to cause reactions in older children...

Pediacel, which is the 5 in 1, is not indicated for persons aged 7 and older:

https://www.vaccineshoppecanada.com/document.cfm?file=Pediacel_E.pdf

There's a section on page 13 of the monograph that states that in accordance with the immunisation schedule, the series should be completed with Quadracel between 4-6 years of age (makes sense I suppose as the stand alone Hib vaccine is not generally indicated for anyone over age 5 anyway, if I recall), or Adacel (the adult booster) and IPV separately, also between 4-6 years of age (interesting, never read that particular recommendation before, always thought age 7 was the lowest age for adult boosters, but Sanofi Pasteur says it's permissible). It also states this particular booster dose is unnecessary if the fourth dose of Pediacel was after the child's 4th birthday.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#63 of 67 Old 03-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Although this doesn't seem to have been mentioned, I would strongly encourage the meningitis vaccine. I was actually stricken with meningitis while in college, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I was in the hospital for over a week, and I missed weeks and weeks of school. I almost had to drop out because I was so far behind. Meningitis spreads fast through the body and to others, and I was lucky I recovered from it, but at great cost.

#64 of 67 Old 04-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post

Quote:

Thanks! Seems I should have zoned out a little less wink1.gif but thinking on it last night I'm pretty sure she got the 5in1. Wish I would have looked into it a bit more but she got them over a month ago and has been completely normal smile.gif
It's something I would mention to them the next time you go to that health centre. I'm glad your DD is fine, but recommendations are recommendations and the nurse is administering a product to children (I'll assume that yours is not the only child) who are not indicated to receive it by both the manufacturer and by the Canadian government. We had doctors in my state giving kids a banned flu vaccine a couple of years back: after a death and a well publicised case of permanent neurological injury, the government told all GPs to stop giving this particular product to children under the age of 5. Still, it emerged in the media that about a dozen doses of it had been given subsequently anyway by "mistake" the next flu season. Just a heads up that you might want to address this with the nurse. Safety guidelines are safety guidelines after all and other kids may not sail through it as well as your DD did. 

Just thought I'd update...

I asked the nurse today what she received last time and she was given a 4-in-1 that is intended for children ages 7-17 called Adacel-Polio

My oldest is now caught up until grade 6 and my youngest now only needs one more of the 6 in 1.

The nurse did suggest going back for another MMR (they each got one today) booster 2 months from now but I'm declining that at the moment as it just seems too much/too soon?

#65 of 67 Old 04-07-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Just thought I'd update...

I asked the nurse today what she received last time and she was given a 4-in-1 that is intended for children ages 7-17 called Adacel-Polio

My oldest is now caught up until grade 6 and my youngest now only needs one more of the 6 in 1.

The nurse did suggest going back for another MMR (they each got one today) booster 2 months from now but I'm declining that at the moment as it just seems too much/too soon?

:thumb Thanks for the update.

You can get a titre done and see if a second dose is necessary. From what I recall, the manufacturer says that 95% seroconvert after one dose, so a second MMR may not be needed (although you might need to show proof of immunity for school etc.).

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 

#66 of 67 Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM

I mentioned waiting and getting a titre done and the nurse was a-ok with that!

I feel better now. We will have herd immunity within the house for the next little one and can delay until I'm sure it's gut is fully functioning and the health unit gave me no issues over our choices!

Oh and I took their update records to school today (they had never had anything on file) and the secretary looked at me like I had five heads... The school system here can't require any vaccinations and we don't have to fill out exemption form either. But they are in their files now.

#67 of 67 Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I remember that about enrolling in school back in Canada--that no one demanded immunisation records (*qualification, certain provinces, I believe, do ask). 

Here in Australia, it's a bit of a different story. :wink

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page