DS scared of being vaccinated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We want to finish our schedule with DS (5) with his last or Kindergarten vaccinations, but our DS exhibited so much anxiety at the sight/thought of the needle that the nurse did not want to vaccinate him for fear of traumatizing him. This appointment was several months ago and DS does not seem to have changed his level of anxiety about this as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any pointers as to how we can go about having him vaccinated with this issue taken into account? We like to vaccinate relatively soon, because we might be moving to a country where vaccinations are mandatory if DS attends school.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)

which country are you planning to move to?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 PM

No pointers except to say that those of us with older kids doing S&D or catch up schedules are all in a similar boat. I doubt I'll get my kids near the GP's office again without significant bribery (even then, my youngest will likely say, "Forget it!"). 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#4 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you talked to him about why you feel the vaxes are necessary (to keep him from getting sick)? Talked through what to expect when he goes in to get the shot? Are you or your partner or another teen/adult family member or close friend in need of a shot and he could accompany you to get it, to see what the procedure is like and see that you don't freak out about it? Could you couple it to something desirable (go buy a giant lollipop and he can eat it before, during, & after the shot)? 

#5 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When we went for our most recent shots, I needed a shot too. I got it first and showed them that it's a very quick pinch. DD who is 9 went next, and while she was a little silly about it when sitting in the office waiting, she even commented afterward that she had forgotten how easy it was. DS who is 6 went last, and he was motivated to show that he could fuss less than his sister.

I think letting them see an adult getting a shot with no fuss is a help. I think it's also important to just be firm about the fact that it is going to happen regardless, and how to make it a nicer experience for everyone, but not to negotiate on whether or not they'll get the vaccine that day.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#6 of 7 Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
EMLA.

It should be offered to all kids, really. We don't vax but ds2 needs fairly frequent blood work and EMLA is the only way he gets through it.

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice and support. I called the health authority and talked at length with a health nurse. Today we went to get the vaccines. DS did freak out, and I did have to hold him, but he is vaccinated now. As parents we hope that we do good by our choices we make for our children. I was on the fence about vaccinations to begin with, but after talking to my elders (who are WWII babies) and who witnessed siblings/friends come down with preventable diseases, we decided to go for it despite the controversies. Thanks again for your support.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page