Vitamin A & MMR - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have info on using Vitamin A as a pretreatment to minimize Adverse Reactions? Do tell!
#2 of 14 Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I used it but started the afternoon that they received the vaccine (which I understand is not ideal…I think we were supposed to have started supplementation a few days beforehand so that their levels were optimum before getting the vaccine).

But we continued supplementing for two weeks afterwards. They had no reactions whatsoever. Not even a fever a week in like the nurse said to expect. I kept expecting a fever, headache, minor rash, something, but nothing at all. It was pretty unremarkable really. Did the vitamin A help? I have no evidence but I'd like to think it was a beneficial support.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 AM

Which dosage and which form japonica?

I just gave the kids Nordic naturals fish oil. DD still had a reaction (facial rash, fever, swollen lymph nodes).

#4 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Have you read Russell Blaylock's "What to do when force vaccinated"? Sorry about the title, but it is a good resource and he lists several things to do to minimize an immune reaction.

Here it is if you want to read it.

This is what he says about fish oil:

Quote:
Take fish oil. Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), one of the omega 3 fatty acids found in fish oil supplements, is a potent immune suppressant. If you take high dose EPA you will be more susceptible to infections, because it is a powerful immune suppressant. However, in the case of an immune adjuvant reaction, you want to reduce it. Studies show that if you take EPA oil one hour before injecting a very powerful adjuvant called lipopolysaccharide (LPS), it would completely block the ability of the LPS to cause brain inflammation. Take a moderate dose everyday and more if needed to tame a cytokine storm.

He also mentions Vitamin C, if you aren't already doing that.

Quote:

An important ingredient on the list is Vitamin C at a dose of 1000 mg, taken four times a day between meals. It is a very potent anti-inflammatory and should be taken in a buffered form, not as absorbic acid, says Dr Blaylock.

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 AM

But the MMR doesn't contain adjuvants. The Russell Blaylock article is regarding forced flu vaccination (I guess in other countries, since U.S. flu vaccines don't contain adjuvants).

For vitamin A, I like the Klaire Labs micellized vitamin A

http://www.vitaminsforus.com/klai0018.html

I'm never going to give the MMR, but it will come in handy if my kids get measles, plus I give them a drop every once in awhile. A drop is 5,025 IU. Much more than that is needed before and after the MMR, or during natural measles infection.

applejuice likes this.
#6 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

But the MMR doesn't contain adjuvants. The Russell Blaylock article is regarding forced flu vaccination (I guess in other countries, since U.S. flu vaccines don't contain adjuvants).

For vitamin A, I like the Klaire Labs micellized vitamin A

http://www.vitaminsforus.com/klai0018.html

I'm never going to give the MMR, but it will come in handy if my kids get measles, plus I give them a drop every once in awhile. A drop is 5,025 IU. Much more than that is needed before and after the MMR, or during natural measles infection.

Duh MMR, I didn't read the OP correctly. 

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

Which dosage and which form japonica?

I just gave the kids Nordic naturals fish oil. DD still had a reaction (facial rash, fever, swollen lymph nodes).

Yeah, the kids normally take Nordic Naturals CLO here but I didn't think it had enough vitamin A in it for this particular purpose. The label says it contains between 425 and 1500 IU. 

We're in Oz so just used a garden variety Blackmore's Vitamin A 5000. I gave them 1/2 capsule a day along with their fish oil, so an extra ~2500 IU a day. I stopped the extra vitamin A supplementation after day 14. 

We also did sodium ascorbate, about 2g a day. That dose did not produce any undesirable effects in the kids. 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#8 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 PM

This is an interesting thread as I have been pondering having a good quality source vitamin A in the house "just in case" of measles exposure.  I just became a Klaire Labs distributor (so far I only have ordered their probiotics) but with my next order I will get that vitamin A that ma2two just recommended.  I don't give them vitamin A regularly, but they both eat a very good diet and take fish oils.  DD1 takes a multi and DD2 is still BFding so I would like the A just for emergencies I think.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#9 of 14 Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

nukuspot, ma2two - that is the best vitamin A supplement that I know of and I have been looking for a long time.

Fresh carrot juice is good too and most kids do like it; I recall drinking lots of it.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 14 Old 03-02-2014, 05:00 PM

I'm going to order it and add it to my travel first aid kit.  We do a lot of travel, including international to visit DHs family.  Does anyone have any links to dosages by weight of vitamin A for children exposed or who have contracted measles?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#11 of 14 Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Here is info per vitamin A administration, Nukuspot:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16235283/

Page 3 of the WHO document

http://www.who.int/immunization/policy/vitamin_a.pdf
#12 of 14 Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 PM

Thank you Asiago!  But that seems to be the recommendation for vitamin A deficient children....Does anyone know what the recs are for well nourished children?

applejuice likes this.

#13 of 14 Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You are welcome.
Perhaps this will help but it seems similar:
http://m.pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/91/5/1014.abstract
http://m.pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/91/5/1014.full.pdf
(Quote)
Acute vitamin A toxicity is uncommon and usually associated with high intake (cumulative doses frequently greater than I 000 000 IU) over 2 to 3 weeks. (End Quote)

This is NEJM
(Quote) Treatment with vitamin A reduces morbidity and mortality in measles, and all children with severe measles should be given vitamin A supplements, whether or not they are thought to have a nutritional deficiency. (N Engl J Med 1990; 323:160–4.) (End Quote)
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199007193230304

No dosage but good info:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1285727/
stellanyc likes this.
#14 of 14 Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

I think it is totally conceivable that natural food store kiddos could be Vitamin A deficient. Because Vitamin A deficiency in the developed nations is rare largely because of fortified foods, which natural kiddos don't so much eat.

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page