Need advice, research information, MMR and a 4.5 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm needing some advice. My son is 4.5 and has not gotten a dose of MMR up until this point.  I was concerned with adverse reactions to the shot and have done a selective/delayed vaccine schedule since he was born.  We are, however, seeing a rise in cases of measles close to us and his preschool is asking for him to receive the shot.  I'm on the fence, I had said from the beginning that I would have him get the shot as we got to school-age, but now that we're here I'm wavering.  He's a very healthy child, and in the back of my mind, while I don't think there will be any issues, I've got the "what if" that I keep hearing in my head.  I guess what I'm looking for is any direction I can get as far as research/good articles out there in regards to giving the vaccine later on, and risks involved.  Are there any other ways I can prep him/his body holistically if I choose to give him the vaccine?  Any advise is welcome.

Thanks!

At home mommy to Paige 2004, Sydney 2006 and Cole 2009 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There's a few of us who have done the MMR at older ages or are considering it, along with ensuing discussion of risk/benefit, supplements etc. If you search through some of the old threads in this forum, it might be point you in the right direction.

I think for some of us with older children, one of the issues was getting the MMR before puberty if we have daughters because of the higher risk of arthritis-type reactions in the teen years, but with a son you don't need to worry about that. Good luck.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Old 03-12-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a question of mine as well.  I don't think we will be doing any vaccines ATM but it's always something I wonder about in the future---Starting vaccines in older children who have had none to date. 

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
It's a crap shoot, really. I gave it to all of my kids at age 2, held my breath, and thankfully didn't witness any reactions. Personally, I'd feel more confident doing it at age 4.5.

If you go for it, look at the CDC catch-up schedule. (Don't rely on your doc or nurse to know it by heart. They can be too used to assembly-lining kids through the conventional schedule. Ask me how I know. eyesroll.gif) I can't download the PDF, but your child may only need one dose. If two are called for, you can always do a blood test and check for immunity instead of doing a second shot.

Good luck.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Tags
Selective Vaccination , Delayed Vaccination
User Tag List